Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1727
View in linear mode

Subject: "Frustrations with GPS add ons" Previous topic | Next topic
OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Thu 11-Nov-10 04:57 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Frustrations with GPS add ons"

Atlanta, US

I've been trying now for a while to research and buy the best bang for the buck GPS geotagger for the D7k. What I've discovered is, either they are sold and shipped from East Asia (high shipping cost + takes forever to receive) or there are lesser known modules sold by big retailers here (Adorama, B&H, etc).

I'm avoiding the GP-1, as it doesn't fit my needs. Specifically, drawing power from the camera. As it is, I can't buy an EN-EL15 if I wanted to (ridiculous Nikon, really..) and power is a premium. Especially when shooting video now and then on LV.

So I'm torn, while it seems everyone says go with the Solmeta N2, that wouldn't be here in time for my trip overseas... Any thoughts before I go ahead and make a decision? I'm looking for something I can get by next week.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons
frazier Silver Member
12th Nov 2010
OpticalSerenity
12th Nov 2010
csgaraglino Silver Member
12th Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Nov 2010
NGHP Silver Member
16th Nov 2010
13th Nov 2010
dawinck
17th Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
17th Nov 2010
OpticalSerenity
17th Nov 2010
17th Nov 2010
OpticalSerenity
18th Nov 2010
dawinck
28th Nov 2010
OpticalSerenity
28th Nov 2010
Murseeker
23rd Dec 2010

frazier Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2004Fri 12-Nov-10 01:21 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 12-Nov-10 01:28 PM by frazier

Ames, US

I note that the Nikonians Pro Shop (US) shows the pro version of the Solmeta unit in stock. Price is around $300. I have found the less expensive Solmeta N2 to work well.

Bill

PS: Come to think of it though, I don't know whether they have the cable for the D7000. You might also try Semsons (semsons.com). They carry a wide selection of GPS gear, incuding stuff for Nikon cameras, and my experience with them is they are pretty fast responding.

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Fri 12-Nov-10 06:20 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

Thanks for the heads up, but $300 is a bit out of my price range.

As for Semsons ,they carry the Columbus nGPS and Geometr. I can't seem to find too much info about those models. The thing I was really shooting for was one that had it's own battery and didn't drain the camera's battery, since the EN-EL15 is not yet out.

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberFri 12-Nov-10 11:43 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 2

Colorado Springs, US

Is ther a reason that you need to "tag on-the-fly"?

I use a Garmin Vista (any will do) and the free GeoSetter (http://www.geosetter.de/en) software... Works perfectly!

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 13-Nov-10 03:28 AM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 13-Nov-10 03:31 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I have a Phottix GPS for Nikon D3 D3X D700 D300 D200 D90 GP-1 $135
It comes with two camera cords and a manual trigger.
One for the D# series and the other works well with the D## and D### cameras.
You can look at the camera LCD and review all information for where you are.
Later, when you check the picture EXIF it will also display the GPS info.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NGHP Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2010Tue 16-Nov-10 01:54 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>PS: Come to think of it though, I don't know whether they
>have the cable for the D7000.

The cable that I use with my D90/Solmeta also plugs into my D7000. Appears to be compatible, though I haven't shot with it yet to confirm. BUT, shame on Nikon for putting a big swinging door over the GPS port. On the D90 is was just a small tethered rubber plug...so it was convenient to leave the cable attached. The larger clunky door on the D7000 means that I'll use GPS more selectively.

Batteries are charging, shopping for SD card upgrades, and excited to start shooting with the new body!

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberSat 13-Nov-10 04:04 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Also, if younwant to connect directly with the Garmin, you can.
Here is how I did it:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=149&topic_id=38099&prev_page=show_topic&gid=38099#113828

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

dawinck Registered since 10th Nov 2010Wed 17-Nov-10 03:19 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 0

MO

Phonix?Seems very cheap. But just found this Easytagger one, www.e-geotag.com only cost $120 with heading and tracking. Not sure if it is better than Solmeta Pro. but sure better than gp-1

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 17-Nov-10 03:40 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

The Phottix is a knock off for the GPS-1 plus it has extra features including: two cables, wired remote and usb port.
It does not have a separate battery but does not draw very much power from the camera either.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Wed 17-Nov-10 05:50 PM
#9. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 17-Nov-10 05:51 PM by OpticalSerenity

Atlanta, US

Thanks for all the tips.

I ended up picking up a Columbus nGPS from Amazon since that had guaranteed shipping times. Unfortunately a lot of these GPS units come from China, and at best you can spend $30-40 and still not be guaranteed quick shipping (and even worse return) times.

At $135, it works pretty well, except for two things:

1. It does not have heading information. Not a huge deal, but nice to have.
2. The tip on the connector came off inside my D7000! I should say, the aluminum shroud around it is what came off, which I was able to pull out without damaging the camera. Still, super crappy quality. The cable still works without the metal shroud around it, but it's slightly loose. While on this topic, the cable is a bit long. Now, I know this is so you can hang the GPS off the strap, but it would be nice to have two cables. One that's longer for the strap, and one for the flash shoe, which could be shorter.

All that being said, it acquired a signal super quickly, even indoors, and kept it.

I wish I could go to a local store here in Metro Atlanta and pickup a Solmeta or EasyTagger prior to my trip on Friday, but this will do.

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberWed 17-Nov-10 07:14 PM
#10. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 9

Colorado Springs, US

First - Direction and distance would have/should have come for that price and is incredibly usefully information for down the read viewing. Not only will it give you the directions to the sun that you were shooting, but the actual subject that the camera focused on.

Second - That metal "shroud" was/is probably a ground connection and if not properly grounded static electricity could damage not only the GPS unit, but the D7000 itself.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Thu 18-Nov-10 12:22 AM
#11. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 10

Atlanta, US

That's good to know. Definitely going back, have to say I'm disappointed with it.

dawinck Registered since 10th Nov 2010Sun 28-Nov-10 09:16 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 11

MO

would you mind to share why are you disappointing with it? Can't get a fix?

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Sun 28-Nov-10 09:40 AM
#13. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

>would you mind to share why are you disappointing with it?
>Can't get a fix?

Hi, here is what I posted in a few messages up in the thread, and they still hold true after a little while longer of trying it out (the cable coming off is really the biggest issue, that's just a defect and perhaps not that way in each shipment from the manufacturer):

1. It does not have heading information. Not a huge deal, but nice to have.

2. The tip on the connector came off inside my D7000! I should say, the aluminum shroud around it is what came off, which I was able to pull out without damaging the camera. Still, super crappy quality. The cable still works without the metal shroud around it, but it's slightly loose. While on this topic, the cable is a bit long. Now, I know this is so you can hang the GPS off the strap, but it would be nice to have two cables. One that's longer for the strap, and one for the flash shoe, which could be shorter.

UPDATE:
3. While on the topic of the cable, the connecter really needs to be at a right angle from the camera. It sticks out an inch and I'm always worried it'll snap off, potentially damaging the camera. I could see where in a design lab it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm sure two hours with anyone (amateur or pro) and they would have discovered the flaw.

All that being said, it acquired a signal super quickly, even indoors, and kept it.

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Thu 23-Dec-10 02:01 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Frustrations with GPS add ons"
In response to Reply # 0

Breitenbach, CH

Hi, if you don't realy need on-the-fly tagging of your photos here is what I use. I have a Garmin e-trex which I keep running all the time while being on the road for taking pictures. The e-trex is relatively cheap, uses standard batteries, works for ever and is very reliable. At home I'm using Apple's Aperture and the Maperture plugin from Uebermind. when loading the photos into Aperture, the timestamps are maped against my GPS track. Another "trick" I sometimes use: I'm taking pictures with my DSLR at a specific location and take one picture with my GPS equipped cell-phone. At home (in Aperture) I just drag and drop all pictures to the location of the picture taken with the cell-phone.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1727 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.