Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17212
View in linear mode

Subject: "Purchase a Nikon D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
davidsen Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Feb 2012Sat 17-Mar-12 09:30 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Purchase a Nikon D7000"

Knoxville, US

Presently I own a Canon 7d with one Lens 24-105mm F4 thinking of switching to Nikon D7000 and need some advice on what lenses to start with.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000
DerekTV85 Silver Member
17th Mar 2012
davidsen Silver Member
18th Mar 2012
icslowmo Silver Member
17th Mar 2012
davidsen Silver Member
18th Mar 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
18th Mar 2012
davidsen Silver Member
18th Mar 2012
ericbowles Moderator
18th Mar 2012
davidsen Silver Member
18th Mar 2012
icslowmo Silver Member
19th Mar 2012
davidsen Silver Member
19th Mar 2012

DerekTV85 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012Sat 17-Mar-12 10:04 PM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

There is the kit lens that you can get with the D7000, 18-105mm vr 3.5-5.6 similar to the lens you have with he with your canon.

Other then that it really depends on what your shooting style is. There are lots of lenses to suggest just might not be for you.

davidsen Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Feb 2012Sun 18-Mar-12 05:29 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

Thanks Derek I saw that listed with a D7000, most of the shooting I do is landscape,flowers and portraits.

icslowmo Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2012Sat 17-Mar-12 10:19 PM
440 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

>Presently I own a Canon 7d with one Lens 24-105mm F4 thinking
>of switching to Nikon D7000 and need some advice on what
>lenses to start with.

I think the closest lens to match the 24-105 F4 you have now would be a Nikon 24-120mm F4G VR lens... only thing is, is I believe it costs a little more then the Canon lens you have... If you are OK with 24mm on your 7D, then that would be the closest. Other wise you go up to a 24-70mm F2.8G. Cost is yet higher but a great lens to have for the extra stop of light.... the 24-120 has VR also... Then I would suggest a low light prime, either the 35mm F1.8G or 50mm F1.4 or F1.8... they make an older 50mm F1.8D and F1.4D that Af's with the built in motor of the D7000 also for even less money.... Hope this helps get you started... Also the 18-105mm suggested isn't a bad lens either, I just feel that for the cost of that lens on it's own, is money better spent on better built lenses.... optics are good but build and AF speed will be much slower then what you are used to....

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

davidsen Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Feb 2012Sun 18-Mar-12 05:32 PM
#6. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

Thanks I agree that would be a better lens I could use on a FX model.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 18-Mar-12 12:28 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hi David,

It really depends on your budget and what you mainly photograph. With that said, I believe the Nikkor 70-300 AF-S VR is a very good all purpose lens. It focuses very fast and the VR is really good. You can find them here in the "want to sell" forum or on ebay around $500 new. It provides some reach and has really good IQ throughout the range. Welcome to the community and good luck with your search.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

davidsen Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Feb 2012Sun 18-Mar-12 05:35 PM
#7. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

thanks John, if I can sell all of my equipment I may consider buying a D700.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 18-Mar-12 03:44 PM
8145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

If you are heading down the path of switching to Nikon, you might want to look at KEH.com. They buy gear and offer a credit on trade.

My basic kit for the D7000 is built around very good quality DX glass, light weight, and flexibility. I use the Nikon 16-85 VR and 70-300 VR. It's a little more than you might spend with a one lens solution, but nice quality in a light package.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

davidsen Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Feb 2012Sun 18-Mar-12 05:40 PM
#8. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

Thanks Eric I have used that site before. those 2 lens cover wide to telephoto. I am thinking of just buying the D700.

icslowmo Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2012Mon 19-Mar-12 05:08 AM
440 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 19-Mar-12 05:15 AM by icslowmo

Phoenix, US

Well if you do get the D700, then the 24-120 VR F4 lens would cover the walk around lens equal to 16-80mm on a DX camera which would be the 16-85 mentioned already... then you could get the 70-300 VR also mentioned for telephoto end... two lens kit covering wide to long ends with a great FX camera that a lot of people love... Only thing to keep in mind is the D700 doesn't do video, so if that's not of concern, then that would be a great set-up plus a 50mm prime f1.4 or f1.8 for low light shooting.... good luck with sales and enjoy the new setup...

Chris

P.S. Just wondering why you wouln't just get a 5D MKII for a good price used since the MKIII just came out and is shipping soon???? The 24-105 f4 you have is a good lens from what I gather and you could get the 70-200 f4 IS II for tele end.... Only thing I could think of is the AF system is not as nice as the 7D from what I know, but would be a good primary camera since the 7D and the 5D mkII use the same btteries and all.... Sorry if I make any die hard Nikon fans made, but seems like a more logical step to me.... just wondering the reason for the wanting to switch systems...

davidsen Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Feb 2012Mon 19-Mar-12 11:57 AM
#10. "RE: Purchase a Nikon D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

Knoxville, US

I was just thinking that I would stay with canon and get the 5D markII thanks for the help.
David

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17212 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.