Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17105
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Commander mode" Previous topic | Next topic
gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 13-Mar-12 10:25 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Commander mode"

Canton, US

Why didn't Nikon make the D7K with the ability to control 3 flash groups instead of 2? Maybe so they could sell more SB-900s and SU-800s? Adding a 3rd group should not have been a problem. Thoughts anyone?

George

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Commander mode
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
16th Mar 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
14th Mar 2012
gbowen Gold Member
14th Mar 2012
NenBikonian
15th Mar 2012
gbowen Gold Member
15th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
16th Mar 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 13-Mar-12 11:15 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Commander mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The same applies to the D200/300/700/800. The D70 had only one group.

The new PocketWizard Plus III controls 4 groups and the camera all by Radio Frequency, RF.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 16-Mar-12 08:47 PM
25570 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Commander mode"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi George,

>The new PocketWizard Plus III controls 4 groups and the camera
>all by Radio Frequency, RF.

The PW Plus III incorporate Quad Zone Triggering which is completely different and not compatible with Nikon CLS wireless flash control or PW's Control TL system.
Quad Zone Triggering has been available on the PW Multi Max Transceivers for about a decade or so. The PW Plus III transceivers like the Plus II's and Multi Max's are Manual RF triggers and receivers.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 14-Mar-12 12:05 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Commander mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Hi George,

Not sure I understand. You can fire a number of SB-900's using a single group and channel. Could you elaborate on why the addition of a 3rd group is necessary?

More groups would make it easier to individually fire sets of flashes in order to take meter readings, but you can do that by switching the channels back and forth. More complicated and manual, yes, but do-able. If you need multiple flash capability on a routine basis then, as previously suggested, you would probably want to invest in Pocket Wizards or similar.

Personally, I've not encountered a situation with a group of photographers where I couldn't find a group and channel to use privately. I'm sure it could happen.

I just don't see the missing 3rd group as a significant limitation to buying flashes.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 14-Mar-12 11:18 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Commander mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Canton, US

I was thinking of the SU-800 and the ability to control 3 groups. I had one but sold it. I am looking into PWs and Alien Bees now. So that thought is rather moot.

George

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Thu 15-Mar-12 08:08 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Commander mode"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 15-Mar-12 08:13 PM by NenBikonian

Roswell, US

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the concept behind the three groups that are available in most Nikon CLS Commander Units (SB800, 900, 910 & SU800) is so that one group serves as Key, another as Fill and the third as background light. The group functionality allows for independent control of output of all flashes in each group, so, conceivably, you could have two flashes in your key group, two in your Fill group and one or more in your background group (or whatever number you like in each group). Each flash in a group would fire at exactly the same output as all the other flashes in that group, but each group could be configured (from the commander unit) to fire at different levels, depending on the light required.

I don't think the idea behind groups was explicitly to provide a way to differentiate your flashes from those of other shooters - I think Channels was the mechanism intended for that.

Also - some folks have loosely likened the new group functionality in the PWIII's to the group functionality in the CLS system. It's not the same. As I understand the PWIII group functionality, it just allows you to group flashes so that you can turn groups on/off (in this case, I suppose, one use case for this functionality would certainly be to be able to see/meter the effect of flashes in each group...however, you must still walk to the flash and modify it's output on the flash, itself...the PWIII system doesn't allow flash power modification from the master, but the Flex/MiniTT ControlTL system does allow this).

But - relative to the OP. I think the 2-group limitation of the D7k, D200, D90, D80, D300, D300s, D700 and D800 popup flash is likely imposed by Nikon in an attempt at product differentiation...much like the same limitation that is built into the SB700, which also only allows for control of two remote groups.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Thu 15-Mar-12 08:22 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 Commander mode"
In response to Reply # 4

Canton, US

I like the ability to remotely control the output of each flash or groups of flashes. But, I am going to be converting to monos so I will be using manual mode. Not that I will no longer be using speedlights. Nothing beats them for portability and flexability. I will still use CLS when the situation demands.

George

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 16-Mar-12 08:59 PM
25570 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Commander mode"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Ben,

You hit the nail on the head.

>I'm not 100% sure, but I think the concept behind the three
>groups that are available in most Nikon CLS Commander Units
>(SB800, 900, 910 & SU800) is so that one group serves as
>Key, another as Fill and the third as background light. The
>group functionality allows for independent control of output
>of all flashes in each group, so, conceivably, you could have
>two flashes in your key group, two in your Fill group and one
>or more in your background group (or whatever number you like
>in each group). Each flash in a group would fire at exactly
>the same output as all the other flashes in that group, but
>each group could be configured (from the commander unit) to
>fire at different levels, depending on the light required.

Yes!

>I don't think the idea behind groups was explicitly to provide
>a way to differentiate your flashes from those of other
>shooters - I think Channels was the mechanism intended for
>that.

Yes!

>Also - some folks have loosely likened the new group
>functionality in the PWIII's to the group functionality in the
>CLS system. It's not the same. As I understand the PWIII
>group functionality, it just allows you to group flashes so
>that you can turn groups on/off (in this case, I suppose, one
>use case for this functionality would certainly be to be able
>to see/meter the effect of flashes in each group...however,
>you must still walk to the flash and modify it's output on the
>flash, itself...the PWIII system doesn't allow flash power
>modification from the master, but the Flex/MiniTT ControlTL
>system does allow this).

Yes!

>But - relative to the OP. I think the 2-group limitation of
>the D7k, D200, D90, D80, D300, D300s, D700 and D800 popup
>flash is likely imposed by Nikon in an attempt at product
>differentiation...much like the same limitation that is built
>into the SB700, which also only allows for control of two
>remote groups.

I agree.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #17105 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.