Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16901
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where did i fail my D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012Mon 05-Mar-12 05:32 PM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Where did i fail my D7000"

Salt Lake City, US

History for these shots. Stop by home in Idaho Falls (rasied there) on my way to Montana for work. Live in Salt Lake City. Thought i would take my camera and do some shooting while on the trip.

Grabbed D7000, SB800, 50mm 1.4d af, Tokina 12-24mm F4. Own 70-300mm 55-200mm vr left with friend because he wants to buy one trying em out. Could have gotten one For trip but dont shoot alot of wildlife or felt like i needed the reach for this trip.

So i get to Idaho Falls Friday night. Meet up with a childhood friend at a 1st birthday party for his Sisters first child. Get talked into a Sunday morning float on the south fork.

Go....... And

Uncropped D7k 50mm 1.4 af D iso 180 1/1250sec center weighted F/8

Cropped little editing not that i know how to edit not my fortay.

Some of a series. Nothing bad happend, the big one chased the little one away.

First fail... Focal length.. i thought about getting one of my telephotos, because i didnt think i was going to do anything special while staying in Idaho, and prefer landscape I didnt. Thought i might end up running into the desert mess around or such. Having seen Eagles earlier in the day, By the time this shot way taken later in the day I would have had one of the telephotos on. These birds were close and 200mm or 300mm would have gotten me a better chance at a great shot.

Technique or lack there-of. I am a rather low use picky shooter. And have yet to master the complex D7000, which i am trying to change. And why i had the camera with me. Practice might have saved this shot.

Other then that. Could this shot on a poopy lighting day that this was been taken with the 50mm 1.4 af D. Or is this detail to be expected. I biffed it on the focal point. Using sigle point middle. i missed left bird just inches behind. but feel the total focus isnt an issue. And i believe Af-s mode was choose.

Reason for center weighted. Poor lighting overcasty winter day. with snow around. Figured this was best for proper subject lighting. Fish and friends being typical subject. And some Landscape.

Any thoughts and suggestions appricated. I am happy that i got to witness this, and got some shoots. Wish the pictures turned out better.... Didnt ruin a rather fun day. Have some more pics i will load on my FB if you would like to see them Msg or email me derek.t.v@hotmail.com and i can add you on FB

Thanks for looking

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Where did i fail my D7000
gfinlayson Silver Member
05th Mar 2012
kentak Silver Member
05th Mar 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
05th Mar 2012
PAStime Silver Member
06th Mar 2012
dm1dave Administrator
06th Mar 2012
DerekTV85
06th Mar 2012
DerekTV85
06th Mar 2012
FinalEVA
06th Mar 2012
DerekTV85
06th Mar 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
06th Mar 2012
D7KRookie Silver Member
06th Mar 2012
dm1dave Administrator
07th Mar 2012

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Mon 05-Mar-12 09:53 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Maidenhead, GB

The main subject is underexposed. Centre-weighted metering still looks at the whole frame but biases towards the centre. A bit of positive exposure compensation is still often required. Spot metering could have helped, but only if your focus point was dead on.

Longer focal length would have helped too - with the subject and the exposure.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 05-Mar-12 11:10 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Was your viewfinder exposure meter indicating proper exposure?

Are the images posted here as they came out of the camera, or did you apply any exposure adjustment afterward?

Kent

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 05-Mar-12 11:19 PM
1724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

While the eagles are underexposed there's a lot you can do, correction wise, in post processing. If you utilize LightRoom or its equivalent try adjusting your exposure and I'll bet you'll find that you've got a pretty good set of photos.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 06-Mar-12 02:28 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 06-Mar-12 02:30 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hi,

It is fun to go out and experiment and continually refine technique.

My ten cents on these two shots:

- The lighting appears to be primarily from behind the main subject. That is very difficult to deal with unless you are aiming for a silhouette type of shot. I am also guessing that in this situation, if you had shot at say +2EV, the background sky would have been blown out and the lighting still perhaps not good for bringing out detail in the subject or making it appealing in any way.

- The shots says to me "look at these birds" but I can't see them very well. You need longer reach, perhaps 300mm or even more.

Alongside indoor sports, birds are perhaps one of the toughest subjects to shoot.

Cheers,
Peter

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 06-Mar-12 03:41 AM
11277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

These are probably about as good as you were going to get in those conditions.

I shoot a lot of eagles and can tell you that they are very difficult to expose when backlit on a day with such poor light. The lack of detail is partly because of the size of the birds in the frame but you also lose a lot from not having direct lighting. A longer focal length would not have helped much and a brighter exposure would have washed out both the background and the birds' heads.

Your D7000, your settings or your skill are not to blame for the quality of theses shots. The problem was the shooting conditions.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012Tue 06-Mar-12 04:26 AM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Salt Lake City, US

I did look at the histagram. And the shadows are not lost. I put the raws in PP software and looks like i can recover the the detail in the birds!!!!! So i will give in a shot. Im no wiz at PP so not sure how far i can take it. Put i think i can recover the pic to useable status.... Will post when done.

DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012Tue 06-Mar-12 05:05 AM
#7. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Salt Lake City, US

Some PP work.. Just in ViewNX2

FinalEVA Registered since 06th Apr 2011Tue 06-Mar-12 08:17 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Those look much better.

BTW, where in Montana are you going. I lived in Bozeman for 5 years for college. I loved it there and would like to live there again (except finding a job there is not easy).

DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012Tue 06-Mar-12 10:33 PM
#10. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Salt Lake City, US

Reply for Kent, the first two where from the camera Jpgs

reply to Ian, I will be in have been in Bozeman Helena Great Falls, Billings, and back to Bozeman... Long week

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Tue 06-Mar-12 10:42 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

The good news: you have a good sense of composition, the importance of which cannot be overemphasized.

The bad news: as everybody else in this thread has pointed out, you have #### lighting conditions in these photos. I deal with similar lighting all the time, and IMO there's a few things you can do; the first, you've already done - sacrifice the gray, somber sky and get the detail on the birds. Good tradeoff, but a tradeoff.

You can get a flash into the picture, filling in your main subject, while properly exposing the background. Probably not an option in this case.

You can try Active-D lighting, and use Nikon software to process your raw images, or save as JPGs.

You can do (what to me is) extensive post-processing, and essentially apply different exposure values to different areas of the photo. This could be combined with taking multiple exposures from exactly the same location (tripod), and trying to combine those exposures. I realize that the birds will probably not cooperate and hold still, which makes this a lot of work (to me).

So, in short, you've chosen a tough set of circumstances, taken good photos, and found the tradeoff that gives you acceptable results.

Well done!

D7KRookie Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2011Tue 06-Mar-12 10:38 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Salem, US

Derek,

The important part was that you got the images. The lighting is what it is and you get what is available. Spectacular birds. My wife and I were driving to a hiking destination in the mountains in NW South Carolina where we live. We had been there several times in the last few weeks (Yellow Branch Falls) so I did not bring the D7000. On the way a very large bald eagle passed in front of us and landed in a tree along side the road. We turned around and parked along side the road to watch him eat the fish he had pinned to the branch below him. If I had had my D7K along, I could have gotten some spectacular images of him as the lighting was perfect. But alas, it was at home in the case. Learned an important lesson that day. Always have the D7K along. Sometimes you only get one chance!!!! Congratulations on getting the shots!!!

Ed

I apent most of my money on guns, cameras, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 07-Mar-12 02:56 AM
11277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Where did i fail my D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Lowden, US

Nice post processing work!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16901 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.