Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16831
View in linear mode

Subject: "Back up? Don't leave home without one or pay the price...." Previous topic | Next topic
LeBird Registered since 27th Jun 2006Fri 02-Mar-12 11:00 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Back up? Don't leave home without one or pay the price..."

Near Winnipeg, CA

Last fall we went on a vacation to the British Isles. We started off in London. After a supper on the Thames we did a cruise to see the Eye and lots of real nice bridges. I was then using a D90 but I also have a D70S I keep as a spare and this time comfortably sleeping at home.

After exactly 41 frames the mirror locked up and that was it for the D90. So because I was stupid I ended up using a Panasonic LX5 for the whole trip. It's a good camera but sure not a D90.

Forget about that extra pound in your suitcase. I used to take the spare with a 24MM prime lens but got complacent. Turns out there was nothing broken, only the SQ motor lost its mind or program.

We still truly enjoyed the trip.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 02-Mar-12 11:26 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Back up? Don't leave home without one or pay the price..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Any way to rent a body for the trip?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Fri 02-Mar-12 11:59 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Back up? Don't leave home without one or pay the price..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I bet the other half of "we" enjoyed not having to share you with a camera...

But a good cautionary tale nonetheless.

Visit my gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 03-Mar-12 08:39 PM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Back up? Don't leave home without one or pay the price..."
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I always carry an extra body on trips. Gear always seems to fail in great locations.

I had a camera body fail on a trip to Bryce and Zion.
I had a long lens fail on a trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone.
Another lens failed in England.
And the latest issue was a body that was damaged while canoeing in the Okefenokee.
A brand new 600 f/4 failed on a week long birding trip.

The good news - the 50 f/1.4 floats for a few seconds before it sinks. And Nikon was able to repair everything.

I have started planning lenses to have a backup as well. A 70-300 serves as an alternative to a long lens.

I've also tried to buy or rent gear while traveling. Most of the time that does not work, but I have found that Amazon can have new gear to you within a day or two. I've added a battery charger once via Amazon.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16831 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.