Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16825
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 and nikkor 70 300 VR" Previous topic | Next topic
Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Fri 02-Mar-12 09:38 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 and nikkor 70 300 VR"
Fri 02-Mar-12 09:49 PM by Fabien65

FR

Hi all,

Last Tuesday, i purchased a new nikkor 70 300 vr.
Just when I went out of the store, I shoot my first picture with my new lens.. I found this beautiful gold statue at the top of a building…ideal target to make a test.
Once home, I discharged the picture from the D7000 and was astonished by the sharpness..the weather was grey, dark..and it was handheld with the VR on.

I didn’t even imagine I could read what was written on the small boat!!
D7000 is a very impressive camera! And the nikkor 70 300 is my new friend!

Fabien,
cheers

Iso 800, F10, 1/1250s, 240 mm

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Fri 02-Mar-12 10:30 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 and nikkor 70 300 VR"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Looks like you have a good combo. Be sure to know where the sweet spots are for sharpness with this lens. It is quite nice below 200mm when wide open or stopped down as you have done here but yields good results at 300mm only when set to F/8 or so. The VR works really well and it works great for my kids sports in good light.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Sat 03-Mar-12 06:28 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 and nikkor 70 300 VR"
In response to Reply # 1

FR

>Looks like you have a good combo. Be sure to know where the
>sweet spots are for sharpness with this lens. It is quite nice
>below 200mm when wide open or stopped down as you have done
>here but yields good results at 300mm only when set to F/8 or
>so. The VR works really well and it works great for my kids
>sports in good light.

thank you for these advices, i will keep them in mind for my next shoots with my new lens
cheers

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 03-Mar-12 10:39 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 and nikkor 70 300 VR"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The D7000 really rewards shooting at higher shutter speeds than many people have a habit of using for a given focal length lens. You have chosen a fast speed and stopped down aperture so both the camera and lens are working in their sweet spots. It took me a few days to get used to setting a higher shutter speed than I would have with film or my only prior digital, the D90. You would have probably gotten a similar sharpness at 1/500 and a little wider aperture so if you have less light to work with, you have some adjustment range to open up the aperture to keep shutter speed up or lower speed and ISO. For hand holding, 1.5x the lens focal length rule of thumb for DX crop cameras is better adjusted to 2x focal length. You were well within that range, twice in fact.
You are going to have fun, it excels in many aspects of photography.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Sun 04-Mar-12 07:55 AM
#4. "RE: D7000 and nikkor 70 300 VR"
In response to Reply # 3

FR

>The D7000 really rewards shooting at higher shutter speeds
>than many people have a habit of using for a given focal
>length lens. You have chosen a fast speed and stopped down
>aperture so both the camera and lens are working in their
>sweet spots. It took me a few days to get used to setting a
>higher shutter speed than I would have with film or my only
>prior digital, the D90. You would have probably gotten a
>similar sharpness at 1/500 and a little wider aperture so if
>you have less light to work with, you have some adjustment
>range to open up the aperture to keep shutter speed up or
>lower speed and ISO. For hand holding, 1.5x the lens focal
>length rule of thumb for DX crop cameras is better adjusted to
>2x focal length. You were well within that range, twice in
>fact.
>You are going to have fun, it excels in many aspects of
>photography.
>Stan

Hi Stan,
Thank you for your reply and advices.
Because I didn’t know the vr was so effective, I decided to set a high shutter speed to prevent blur.
And yes, you’re right, I will remember the “2 x the lens focal
length rule of thumb for DX crop cameras”. This rule seems to be easy to use quickly to assess the best tradeoff for aperture and iso.
I could have decrease the shutter speed and get a lower iso for example.
That’s what I like with photography, always something to learn in order to improve oneself with the help of kind and helpful Nikonians.
Cheers,
Fabien.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16825 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.