Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16702
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Back Focus Fixed" Previous topic | Next topic
dbnorton Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2006Mon 27-Feb-12 05:47 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Back Focus Fixed"

Mt. Washington, US

I have a question regarding the back focus issues that I have been reading about. I am looking at purchasing a new D7000 and I am wondering if there is a chance that I will have any back focus issues or not. I would only suspect that the back focus shouldn't be an issue.

Dustin Norton
Nikonian USA
Dustin Norton Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Back Focus Fixed
briantilley Moderator
27th Feb 2012
dbnorton Silver Member
27th Feb 2012
torwood Silver Member
27th Feb 2012
icslowmo Silver Member
28th Feb 2012
dbnorton Silver Member
28th Feb 2012
km6xz Moderator
28th Feb 2012
torwood Silver Member
28th Feb 2012

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 27-Feb-12 05:57 PM
28673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Back Focus Fixed"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

>I would only suspect that the back
>focus shouldn't be an issue.

Agreed!

We have seen some instances here of cameras being sent for adjustment and coming back working perfectly, but whilst these problems may be slightly more frequent than with some other Nikons, they still form only a small fraction of total D7000 sales.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dbnorton Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2006Mon 27-Feb-12 07:42 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Back Focus Fixed"
In response to Reply # 1

Mt. Washington, US

Thanks Brian.

Dustin Norton
Nikonian USA

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Mon 27-Feb-12 09:08 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Back Focus Fixed"
In response to Reply # 2

Jefferson Hills, US

I thought I had the back-focus issue, and it turned out to be my technique and my older lenses. I upgraded a couple lenses to keep up with the AF system and my subjects, and adjusted my technique and now all is fine. My situation probably describes the vast majority of back-focus issues posted regarding this camera. It's a large step-up from the D90 or below in resolution and AF speed (not to mention low light capability).

If you are a DX shooter, you'll LOVE the D7000.

icslowmo Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2012Tue 28-Feb-12 02:24 AM
491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Back Focus Fixed"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 28-Feb-12 02:25 AM by icslowmo

Phoenix, US

I had a back-focus issue with my D7000 and sent it in for repair under warranty and everything is good now. My issue was not in my lenses and not user error either test shots were on tri-pod and was very apparent... So if you get a D7000 and think it has an issue, exchange it or send it in for fix.... great camera for DX user...

Chris

dbnorton Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2006Tue 28-Feb-12 03:17 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 Back Focus Fixed"
In response to Reply # 4

Mt. Washington, US

Well I am sold. Now I just need to find one when I get me bonus on Wednesday. I found a couple of sites that had some but now they don't....

Dustin Norton
Nikonian USA

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 28-Feb-12 03:51 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Back Focus Fixed"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

There have been several posts on various forums saying that Best Buy had some in stock.
Nikon's web store sometimes lists Refurbished D7000's in stock but they go out of stock quickly. The warranty is shorter on Refurbished but those who have gotten them seem to think it is a good deal, and several mentioned that having one that they know Nikon has checked out and is in calibration is a confidence builder.
Good luck finding one, the search is worth it. According the Thom Hogan who has a lot of inside info sources suggests that full production volume will be back on line in March.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Tue 28-Feb-12 05:00 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Back Focus Fixed"
In response to Reply # 5

Jefferson Hills, US

I buy most of my stuff from B&H, but I got my D7000 from Samy's in California. I'd recommend just ordering from one of them, and waiting. B&H is perhaps the world's largest camera store, and Samy's is in CA, close to where the ships from Asia first dock when they arrive. My guess is that samy's gets theirs before the NY stores do, assuming they come on the same boat.

I have bought refurb and used lenses several times, and have generally been satisfied. I was dissatisfied with my refurb D90 - the on-camera flash has never worked right from day one. It underexposes dramatically 8 out of 10 times. I bought this from Cameta, who has a good reputation. It came in the Nikon refurb box, with appropriate papers, etc.. It's not Cameta's fault. There is no way that anybody from Nikon went over that camera thoroughly, or this would surely have been discovered. I have never gone through the hassle of getting it repaired, because I have other cameras that I use for snap shots where on-board flash is needed, and the camera works fine otherwise. I also always carry an SB400.

I say this because we all know there have been credible back-focus issues reported with the D7000 (as there probably are with other cameras, I know...). My point is that some percentage of the refurbs out there are probably returns due to this issue. If you get the kind of QAQC check my refurb D90 got, you probably increase your chances of getting a problem. I'd actually buy used before I bought another refurb body. At least a used D7000 is probably being sold primarily because of a D800 upgrade.

I had to search real hard and wait a little to find mine new, but I think it was worth it in this instance.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16702 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.