Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1651
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Video for Non-Commercial Use Only" Previous topic | Next topic
sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Tue 09-Nov-10 02:05 AM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Video for Non-Commercial Use Only"

Saddle river, US

Here's some text from the D7000 User's Manual (page xvii):

"AVC Patent Portfolio License
THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSE FOR THE PERSONAL AND NON- COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE AVC STANDARD (“AVC VIDEO”) AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE AVC VIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C. SEE http://www.mpegla.com"

Is this weird or what? Not the existance of such contracts (I've bought plenty of commercial software in my life with restrictive contracts), but that Nikon is selling a restricted license on a $1,200 device.

How did that work with Chase Jarvis' promotional videos for the D7000, shot with great fanfare, using D7000s?

Nikon seems to be promoting this for (among other things) wedding and event photographers; they can't use video from the camera? From the Jarvis blog regarding the camera: "Will do well for lots of markets. The photojournalist, the wedding shooter, the pro-sumer, the video crowd, backup body for pros. Pretty much everybody wins."

Seems like a problem.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Video for Non-Commercial Use Only
km6xz Moderator
09th Nov 2010
csgaraglino Silver Member
10th Nov 2010
Robman3
10th Nov 2010
Robman3
09th Nov 2010
intrepidnz
10th Nov 2010

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 09-Nov-10 06:55 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Video for Non-Commercial Use Only"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

That is pretty standard wording for patent pool licensing. The details are always in the fine print. It costs money for commercial distribution either as in a manufactured product that encodes and decodes or based on end users. Almost all patented coding systems have sliding scales with a threshold that triggers license fees. In the AVC/H.264 patent pool that threshold 100,000 units per year.
If you sell over 100,001 copies of a H.264 encoded productions during a year you need to pay. I see nothing Draconian or unfair about this patent license fee structure. If I sold 100,001 to 250,000 wedding videos in a year, I would be quite happy to pay the $25,000 license fee. Or $75,000 for 1,000,000 copies.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberWed 10-Nov-10 03:16 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Video for Non-Commercial Use Only"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 10-Nov-10 03:17 AM by csgaraglino

Colorado Springs, US

So let's talk about this a bit...

If I record on the D7000 under the current license agreement, but edit in my NLE of choice, say Adobe Premier, and out put using a codec from PRE (not the raw from the D7K) shouldn't I be good to go commercially?

Isn't this restriction only on the raw footage, as compressed in camera?

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 10-Nov-10 05:56 AM
1759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Video for Non-Commercial Use Only"
In response to Reply # 3

West of Santa Monica, US

Yeppers...

This would never stand in court under scrutiny.

The codec aside, intent and restriction of fair trade coupled with the Chase PROMO would sway any jury and Nikon would bear the brunt of false advertising.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Tue 09-Nov-10 07:02 AM
1759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Video for Non-Commercial Use Only"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

I'd not pay too much attention personally.

I bought the camera to flesh out the production tools and am headed to Denmark with the AF D7K Video, plus the D3S to build from a script narration and story board for a humanitarian event.

We WILL use content for promotion and possibly broadcast purposes.

They can come and confiscate the camera if they wish.

I suppose the MPEGLA folks will want a piece then, so be it, let BMI argue it when some video makes BET or CMT rotation.

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Wed 10-Nov-10 11:50 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Video for Non-Commercial Use Only"
In response to Reply # 2

NZ

A couepl of things come to mind regaring this.

1 - What happens if you use the D7k to record a historic moment, some exciting news footage or some other momentous event? And you give it to a news channel, get a modest some of money for it (no idea how much) and then the news channel distributes it all around the world?

2 - how different is this camera to the dozens of other video cameras around the place and do they have the same non-commerical use clause? I would imagine that dedicated video cameras wouldn't be so restricted as this clause so why the difference?

regards

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1651 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.