Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1644
View in linear mode

Subject: "d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm" Previous topic | Next topic
steved300 Registered since 18th Nov 2007Mon 08-Nov-10 11:21 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm"

NZ

hi
so has anyone tested the matrix of them?
is the mm of the d7000 like the mm of the d80 d90 ?
or is it more like the mm of the d300?

--------------
friends don't let friends pixel peep

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm
steved300
10th Nov 2010
JPJ Silver Member
10th Nov 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
10th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
11th Nov 2010
sirraj Silver Member
10th Nov 2010
steved300
11th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
11th Nov 2010

steved300 Registered since 18th Nov 2007Wed 10-Nov-10 02:58 AM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

well it seems from my reading that the d7000 has matrix metering set like the d80 and d90
thats a shame as that makes it a no go for me
i like the reliable mm of the d300 for those times that i don't want to think ,just shoot

--------------

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 10-Nov-10 03:55 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

Was there an issue with the reliability of the D90 MM? I have never had a problem with it, the only time it didn't meter properly was in circumstances that fool most if not all matrix metering systems (such as subjects against very strong backlighting). MM is not a cure-all for every situation, some just call for spot or center-weighted metering.

The D7000 meter is brand new, and it has double the pixels of the D300 meter and 5x the pixels of the D90 meter. In theory it should be better than both at identifying the correct exposure. In practice, so far I have not had a problem. I have used in indoors both well lit and in bad lighting and outdoors in sunlight and after sunset. Can't wait to try it on snow scenes (well actually I can, hoping the weather stays north of freezing for a little while yet).

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 10-Nov-10 04:18 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm"
In response to Reply # 1

Warsaw, US

>well it seems from my reading that the d7000 has matrix
>metering set like the d80 and d90
>thats a shame as that makes it a no go for me
>i like the reliable mm of the d300 for those times that i
>don't want to think ,just shoot

Can you explain what you mean by this? How is MM different on the D80, D90 vs the D300?

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 11-Nov-10 01:50 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm"
In response to Reply # 3

Alberta, CA

The D80 MM is known to be "hot", see Thom Hogan's D80 review for a discussion.

I have not heard the D90 MM to share this problem.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

sirraj Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Wed 10-Nov-10 11:35 AM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 10-Nov-10 11:35 AM by sirraj

Minneapolis, US

The D7000 and the D90 both allow you to adjust the exposure for each metering method. If you are not happy with Matrix metering you can fine tune the exposure plus or minus 1EV in 1/6 EV steps. On the D7000 it is option b5 under the Custom Settings menu.

Sirraj

steved300 Registered since 18th Nov 2007Thu 11-Nov-10 03:53 AM
#6. "RE: d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm"
In response to Reply # 4

NZ

the problem is that it is not just a bit hot all the time
that would be no problem
they put tooo much priority on what is under the focus point
that can really catch you out some times
and some times it just shoots to hot
the point being that the dx00 cams don't put so much priority on what is under the focus point and that makes it more predictable
most people don't notice this until they use a dx00 cam for a bit

--------------

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 11-Nov-10 03:56 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: d7000 matrix metering v d300 mm"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

From all the comments I've seen from people who compared and wrote about it, the MM on the D7000 is better, more consistent and accurate than the D300. That is understandable since the metering sensor has twice the resolution and everything else about the D7000 was an upgrade in IQ from the D300 series. No doubt the new improvements will continue in the D400 when it is released.

Besides, the D90's MM sure has not been a problem, works great, although I use spot most often and try to visually note the overall scene level is.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1644 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.