Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1641
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spot focusing on a D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 08-Nov-10 10:03 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spot focusing on a D7000"

Jackson, US

My D7000 just arrived and after charging the battery, I am getting to do my first shots around the yard. On my D300 bodies, I have three settings on the side of the body: CF, S, M and typically use S unless I have moving animals. When in the S mode, I toggle my focus points around to put one on the animal's eye or a specific spot in the scene. On the D7000, the S is missing with only AF and M available. Also, I usually have my D300 bodies set to spot focus unless shooting faster moving animals or birds.

I am now trying to figure out how to set this camera up to do something similar. I will probably figure it out soon, but seem to be missing a setting or two. Any quick advice would be appreciated.

M Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 08-Nov-10 10:41 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Spot focusing on a D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Yeah, tricky Nikon put an actual push button on that AF/M switch. Hold it down and use the back dial to switch between AF-A, AF-S and AF-C. Also while holding that button down you can change between the different AF-C modes using the front dial.

I am well known for not reading the manual before I start to 'play' with new electronics. As I use spot focus 90% of the time (if not more) it was the first thing I started looking for...I almost had to crack open the manual and then I found the button.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 09-Nov-10 12:05 AM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spot focusing on a D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Jackson, US

Hi Jason,
Thanks. Found it after to gave me the quick directions. It took a little experimenting to see I need to use the front dial to rotate the various autofocus options to spot focus. Not bad once you know to push that button.

I am used to hearing a beep once I get the focus locked, so I must have changed something else while searching for this adjustment. I have the beep turned on, so it must be one of the AF/L release adjustments I turned on.

Much better!

This camera body is a bit more narrow than the D300, so when I use the toggle button to change the focus point, I can feel the difference, especially when moving the point to the left. I shoot with my left eye, so my nose is slightly in the way for that maneuver. They packed a lot of features in a small area.

Thanks again,
Mike Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1641 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.