Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16032
View in linear mode

Subject: "White Balance" Previous topic | Next topic
J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Fri 03-Feb-12 10:00 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"White Balance"
Fri 03-Feb-12 10:09 PM by J_Harris

US

I use "Auto" White Balance most of the time but noticed pictures seemed to be a little cool (bluish) during normal daylight. After some experimenting with white balance fine tuning I am much happier using auto white balance with fine tune set at A2 (slightly warmer).

Reading Thom Hogan's D7000 Guide he states Nikon uses 5200K (kelvin) for outdoor lighting and that the accepted "daylight film" Kelvin is balanced at 5400K. He recommends a fine tune of A2 that is 5495K when shooting in "Direct Sunlight" for the best white balance. So, he has verified my original fine tune adjustment was correct to obtain a more accurate white balance.

Has anyone else experimented with the white balance fine tune on their D7000 and came to the same conclusion? If not what is your fine tune settings?

Addendum: Picture control is set to "Standard" with no modifications except for no sharpening.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: White Balance
rlecocq
03rd Feb 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
03rd Feb 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
03rd Feb 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
N4TVC Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
plaiditude
08th Feb 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
09th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
04th Feb 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
04th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
08th Feb 2012
elec164 Silver Member
08th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
08th Feb 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
08th Feb 2012
elec164 Silver Member
08th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
09th Feb 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
09th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
09th Feb 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
09th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
09th Feb 2012
billD80 Silver Member
06th Feb 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
06th Feb 2012
DMCdigitalmedia
06th Feb 2012

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Fri 03-Feb-12 11:06 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 03-Feb-12 11:08 PM by rlecocq

Winnipeg, CA

I have to agree with you on this (Auto WB) being on the coolish side in daylight.It is good to hear someone else say it, I was wondering if I was alone. I will try your recomendations when I get my 7K back from the shop.

Regards,

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Fri 03-Feb-12 11:23 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0

Burke, US

Jerry, also based on Thom Hogan's book, I set mine for Auto2 ("keep warm lighting colors") to warm it up a bit. I might try your tweak and see if I notice a difference.

Charles

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 03-Feb-12 11:33 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Set a custom white balance with the camera, using a white-balance 'filter' such as an ExpoDisc. In addition, if color is critical, shoot in raw so you can always change the WB in post

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Sat 04-Feb-12 12:23 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 04-Feb-12 12:33 AM by J_Harris

US

Charles:
Auto2 (keep warm lighting colors) is not the same as using "Fine-Tuning White Balance". See page 119 in your D7000 manual or page 323 in Hogan's guide. His complete "white balance" section is on pages 316 through 338.

Actually, I had a hard time deciding if A1 or A2 was more accurate, but decided to go with Hogan's recommedation. Both are better than the default setting in my opinion. Also, in my opinion the "Auto2 (keep warm lighting colors)" didn't look accurate and I haven't heard anyone else who was pleased with it. People see colors differently, but it might be worth your time to re-evaluate using "Auto2 (keep warm lighting colors)".

Ken:
Shooting JPEG + NEF (14-bit) is the only way to fly.

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Sat 04-Feb-12 09:49 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 4

Burke, US

Jerry, I did not say or mean to imply that Auto2 was the same. As I said I use it to ward up the normal Auto setting. I've read those sections of Thom's book. I even said I might try your tweaks.

Charles

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Sat 04-Feb-12 10:28 PM
#8. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Sorry about that. I wasn't sure if you had confused A2 with Auto2 - my mistake.

plaiditude Registered since 09th Aug 2011Wed 08-Feb-12 12:45 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 4

Winnipeg, CA

Does Hogan provide many recommended settings in his book? I already have a couple of D7000 books that go over what the settings are, but am always looking for more ideas from how others have actually used and changed those settings. I have the nikonian book which was great, should I also get Hogan's?

Visit my website.

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Thu 09-Feb-12 03:19 PM
#23. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu 09-Feb-12 03:22 PM by J_Harris

US

>Does Hogan provide many recommended settings in his book? I
>already have a couple of D7000 books that go over what the
>settings are, but am always looking for more ideas from how
>others have actually used and changed those settings. I have
>the nikonian book which was great, should I also get
>Hogan's?

Anthony,

Sorry I missed your post earlier.

I have been very happy with Thom Hogan's 820 page book/guide. It is very detailed in all aspects of using the D7000. Everything is discussed such as it's history, myths, features, settings, usage, recommendations for all settings, many features are compared to other Nikon cameras, etc. Even the SB400 through SB900 flashes and usage are included.

It is a little expensive if you order his complete package (includes printed, PDF, and ebook versions and a smaller "To Go" condensed user guide). I highly recommend at least buying the book/guide in printed form. You will be surprised how many times you grab it off the book shelf for quick reference.

It is sold only through his website, the link is below.

http://bythom.com/nikond7000guide.htm

Jerry

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 04-Feb-12 12:28 AM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

This is not always true.

Today I was shooting with a D7000 on a clear, sunny day (yes they do occasionally happen here in the PNW this time of year). I was shooting in direct sunlight. I used a Sekonic C-500R color meter to check the light, and it read 4420K. The closest D700 setting was 4350, so I shot that. Here is the resulting image (embedded JPG extracted from unedited NEF):

The sun, of course is lower on the horizon here this time of year, even at 2:30PM when I was shooting, but it moves everywhere. So beware of someone claiming one number is correct for "daylight".

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Sat 04-Feb-12 12:49 AM
#6. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 04-Feb-12 12:57 AM by J_Harris

US

Mick:
Good point and great picture.

Yes, Hogan does explain how sunlight is not a "constant" and does offer a chart that covers the more common lighting conditions, the Kelvin and a recommended fine-tune setting. Example: your 4420K is very close to what he describes as "Early Morning/Late Afternoon" sunlight that is 4500K in his chart and the fine-tune should be set at B6.

So many variables to consider, e.g. time, location, season, etc. - but that is what makes photograpy so interesting.

Good discussion.

P.S. How accurate is the orange color in the picture compared to what you actually seen.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 08-Feb-12 12:53 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

>P.S. How accurate is the orange color in the picture
>compared to what you actually seen.
>
It is actually red, and that is what I see on my monitor.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 08-Feb-12 01:09 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>It is actually red, and that is what I see on my monitor.
>

Well there’s red, then there’s “RED”. When I read J Harris’s comment and looked closely, I felt it was probably red, and it appears that way on my calibrated system, and my wife’s uncalibrated one.

But it’s not a fire engine red, and does tend to lean toward the orange in appearance (at least that’s what I perceive).

As to the OP, I shoot Auto 1 and find for the most part it works for me. But I also shoot NEF so for the times it doesn’t; it’s easily addressed in post.

Pete

Pete

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 08-Feb-12 01:19 PM
#15. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 14

Tacoma, US

>Well there’s red, then there’s “RED”. When I read J Harris’s
>comment and looked closely, I felt it was probably red, and it
>appears that way on my calibrated system, and my wife’s
>uncalibrated one.
>
>But it’s not a fire engine red, and does tend to lean toward
>the orange in appearance (at least that’s what I perceive).
>
In real life it is definitely not a fire-engine red. To me, orange is the color of the links in the nikonians forums. It's like this.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 08-Feb-12 02:11 PM
#16. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed 08-Feb-12 02:27 PM by J_Harris

US

Behold the colorful colors.

Mick, I don't believe you can get any redder than your red font example . I also use a calibrated monitor (NEC MultiSync PA241W).

I agree the train engine is more red than orange, but it is getting close to a reddish orange/orangish red color. I believe Pete is saying he noticed a subtle orange(ish) tint too. We were discussing the D7000's "white balance" accuracy - that is why I was wondering how accurate your white balance setting was compared to the actual color, as it seemed to be a hard color to replicate accurately.

By the way, the Nikonian "links" color look more brownish-orange than a pure orange to me.

Jerry

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 08-Feb-12 04:12 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 15

US

>In real life it is definitely not a fire-engine red. To me,
>orange is the color of the links in the nikonians forums.

Well Mick, there’s reality and then there’s perception. But when it comes to chromaticity, ones perception is their reality. After all two people could be standing side by side looking at the same color sample, yet describe it differently. In fact when I goof around experimenting with this, my left eye sees the world slightly cooler then my right eye. Which makes me wonder which one is seeing the world correctly?? LOL

I’m not saying anyone in particular is correct here in their descriptions. More to the point, I know that standard RGB Orange has a value of 255,165,0. But what I see in my mind when I think Orange has a value of 255,111,0.

But your train to me appears to be the RGB value of around 223,75,48. Which is different from RGB red with its value of 255,0,0. And if you look at the RGB values, it seems somewhere between red and orange with a hint of blue(at least to me that is).

So I believe that is the problem with the crux of this debate, in that perception of color is individual and highly variable. But it’s an interesting discussion just the same.

Pete

Pete

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 09-Feb-12 03:13 AM
#18. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 17

Tacoma, US

Well, one of these is red.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Thu 09-Feb-12 11:52 AM
#19. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 18
Thu 09-Feb-12 11:53 AM by J_Harris

US

How much did it cost to have the red vehicles parked there for your photo?

How do we know it is the same train engine?

Reading the sign in this picture, maybe you shouldn't be displaying the original orange(ish) photo - evidence of trespassing.

Just kidding.

I agree - there is one red train engine and two red vehicles in this photo.

Jerry

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 09-Feb-12 12:58 PM
#20. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 19
Thu 09-Feb-12 03:48 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Well, the red in the locomotive is certainly oranger than the red in either car, but definitely not as orange as the traffic cone behind the fence. This is mostly to demonstrate the colors relative to each other, rather than the absolute color, as this was taken in entirely different lighting conditions with a D3s on AWB, since I didn't have my D7000 or color meter with me when I saw this scene.

Working there gives me a certain latitude in photographing on site, especially since one of my my "other duties as assigned" is to be the company photographer.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Thu 09-Feb-12 01:30 PM
#21. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 20
Thu 09-Feb-12 01:31 PM by J_Harris

US

It's also interesting to see the different shade of red (darker) created by shadows at the top of the engine - left of the rear exhaust grill/vents.

So, what I take from all this is that digital cameras can create all the different tonal variances of the same color - but a user should still test the white balance setting to ensure accuracy of those tones.

Jerry

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 09-Feb-12 01:38 PM
#22. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 21

Tacoma, US

That's one approach, or just use artistic license to make the image look like what you want it to look like. It depends on your goal.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 06-Feb-12 02:28 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have mine set on A2 as well...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Mon 06-Feb-12 12:19 PM
#10. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 06-Feb-12 12:21 PM by J_Harris

US

Um, ok it looks like most D7000 users are either happy with the white balance default setting or not interested in making changes - and those that do experiment go for a little warmer (A>).

Great camera in either case.

DMCdigitalmedia Registered since 04th Jan 2007Mon 06-Feb-12 06:52 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: White Balance"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I have posted elsewhere on this forum about my frustration so I wont rehash other than...mine also shot cool outside, and ridiculously blew out the Red channel indoors under tungsten light, Nikon service adjusted but it still just didnt look right to me.

www.dcarbophoto.com

"Like" me on facebook

www.facebook.com/dcarbophoto

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #16032 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.