Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15869
View in linear mode

Subject: "A little advice please!" Previous topic | Next topic
amalalin Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2008Sun 29-Jan-12 02:48 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A little advice please!"

providence, US

Hi! I'm fairly new to my D7K coming from a D90. I love this camera and have many photos that are beyond my dreams. However, I totally botched a set of closeup pictures of some wonderful tulips. I was very excited with the sun coming from the back giving a nice glow into my sun room. I had my tripod out and ready. I was interested in the center of the flower being most in focus although I also would like to know how to get the entire flower in focus for better cropping.

Thanks in advance for your comments. Following this forum has been a wonderful learning experience for me even if I don't understand in the moment what I am reading. Eventually, with practice, some of it sinks in!

Linda

AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
ISO 1600 (my high setting-way too high, I think, for this pic. I can control this to ISO 100)
0 EV
f 11
shutter 1/60
auto white balance (I know how to set white balance---maybe I was remiss here)
aperture priority
auto focus
meter pattering (a mistake?)
1.2 ft distance (too close for good cropping?)
auto exposure
tripod
no post processing

enjoy the journey

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A little advice please!
mklass Platinum Member
29th Jan 2012
elec164 Silver Member
29th Jan 2012
BOAZ632 Silver Member
29th Jan 2012
amalalin Gold Member
02nd Feb 2012
amalalin Gold Member
02nd Feb 2012
amalalin Gold Member
02nd Feb 2012
elec164 Silver Member
02nd Feb 2012
elec164 Silver Member
02nd Feb 2012
     Reply message Hi Peter
amalalin Gold Member
03rd Feb 2012
mjhach Silver Member
03rd Feb 2012
elec164 Silver Member
03rd Feb 2012
mjhach Silver Member
03rd Feb 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 29-Jan-12 03:33 AM
5864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Linda,

When you are shooting Macro at that close of a distance, DOF is very narrow. Either a smaller aperture is needed, or you need to try focus stacking.

Did you do any sharpening in post?

Also, was the flower moving/?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 29-Jan-12 04:30 AM
1980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Ah Linda, I just love tulips also. As I typed this and worked up the examples I see Mick answered also so I revamped my post a bit to include his thoughts.

As Mick said, when shooting close up you generally have a narrow DOF. At your settings and distance you have about ¼ inch of DOF.

Most people will tell you to avoid going beyond f/11 with a DX camera because of diffraction. While diffraction is a real phenomenon, I personally think it’s overly stated. And in the case of macro images, I’m willing to sacrifice some fine detail for a greater DOF.

To give you an example, this was taken with my D80 and the Tamron 90mm macro, tripod mounted with ML-L3 using 2 sec. delayed exposure using manual focus at f/40, 1/200, ISO100, off camera SB800 with diffuser. And even at that I still probably only had a DOF of about 1-inch or so.

The only other alternative would be focus stacking as Mick suggested.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete

BOAZ632 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2010Sun 29-Jan-12 03:33 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 29-Jan-12 05:43 PM by BOAZ632

Upper Marlboro, US

Couple of questions come to mind. Is this a raw or jpeg file? If you used a tripod, did you turn the VR off? The reason I ask is that there is little to no in camera post processing with regard to raw files.

Secondly, without being too technical, if the VR is turned on while the camera and lens are mount via a tripod, the VR system will actually create and/or introduce some motion blurr. I'm sure someone will chime in and provide a more technical explaination on how the system works.

I would also suggest that if you are using a tripod, try setting the ISO to the camera lowest setting i.e. 100 on the D7000.

Although its a person preference, IMO, manual focusing works maybe a tad bit better when shooting macro but thats just my opinion.

Nikonian in Upper Marlboro, MD

ADCole
www.adcoleweddingphotoimages.com

amalalin Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2008Thu 02-Feb-12 04:36 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 3

providence, US

Hi and Thank you!

I only shoot raw these days and I don't think I had the VR turned off. I did use a tripod! I didn't post process mostly because I wasn't sure it would help get the result I wanted which was more overall focus. Turning off the VR is finally becoming more of a habit for me. I always wondered why have VR and then turn it off when you actually want vibration reduction. That being said, I know through experience that I will get a little blur with VR and am committed to remembering to make that control a part of my set up routine for macro. I am interested in trying the manual focusing as you suggest--give it a try as well as staying to the 100 iso instead of automatic, in this case! Lots to think about.

Appreciate your thoughtful suggestions

Linda

enjoy the journey

amalalin Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2008Thu 02-Feb-12 04:27 AM
#4. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 2

providence, US

These are beautiful, Pete. I will try your suggested settings now that more tulips are opening in the sun room. I'm making an assumption you used a remote? or VR off as I've often seen suggested?

thank you!

Linda

enjoy the journey

amalalin Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2008Thu 02-Feb-12 04:45 AM
#6. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 4

providence, US

Here are a couple of orchid pics-- another favorite. Actually I never met a flower that was not fun to explore!!

Back to the tulips, however. They are great practice!

enjoy the journey

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 02-Feb-12 03:00 PM
1980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 6

US

The second orchid picture is beautiful. Nice composition.

The first one has an interesting subject (I assume you wanted to isolate that small curl), but lacks the isolation to make it interesting. There is just too much going on for my eye.

Pete

Pete

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 02-Feb-12 02:45 PM
#7. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

My Tamron 90mm does not have optical stabilization, and yes I used the Nikon ML-L3 infrared remote release. That was taken with my D80 so I used 2 sec. delay to let mirror vibrations settle. With the D7000 I use the ML-L3 in MUP release mode.

I also share your interest in flower macros; they are such interesting subjects close up.

If you go to my gallery you will find 10 images, some not so good, but some better such as this one.

Click the image to go to the larger version in the gallery.

You can also see the EXIF data for the settings there to give you more info to work with. As mentioned already, when shooting close up the DOF gets very narrow. You can use DOF charts to give you an idea, but keep in mind that the calculators such as DOFMaster aren’t accurate at relatively close macro distances.

Pete

Pete

amalalin Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2008Fri 03-Feb-12 02:56 AM
#9. "Hi Peter"
In response to Reply # 7

providence, US

thanks for your comments. I agree about the little curlicue on the first orchid being in a distracting situation. It did make me smile, though, when I downloaded.

I will definitely look at your EXIF data over the weekend. I had a chance today to play with some new settings based on your suggestions during a quick lunch. There was a clear improvement but nothing worth sharing. I never get enough time with my camera, it seems. I was wondering about the MUP as well. It interests me to try that mode so I 'm glad you mentioned it.

I have been fascinated with and played with the V!. That camera would be totally a total distraction from the D7k which is hard enough to get time for!

my best

Linda

ps---I grew up in New Jersey---watched the turnpike being built through the farm land where I played with my dogs!

enjoy the journey

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Fri 03-Feb-12 10:37 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 2

Simcoe, CA

So, I had a D80 also and it took great pics when the light was enough, but so many situations where light wasn't that great that the ISO had to be bumped up - I always found I was up against a wall beyond 800. I found myself wonting for the D7000 for its better high ISO low noise characteristics and so for a year I waited until I couldn't wait any longer and traded D80 for the D7000. I find myself in that group who are experiencing focussing issues - I never found myself with a focussing issue with the D80 so I am a little disappointed in that aspect of this new ownership. Clearly nice pics are a real possibility withe the D80 as time in Arizona showed me. See my gallery. My question to you is are you going to move up to a D7000 anytime soon, too? and what would be your reasons for doins so.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 03-Feb-12 10:59 PM
#11. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>My question to you is are you going to move
>up to a D7000 anytime soon, too? and what would be your
>reasons for doins so.

Ooops!
Sorry for the confusion. I did move up to the D7000 just over a year ago. I don't have any flower macros with it as of yet, but had a few from using my D80 that I thought would be helpful as examples for Linda.

My reason was pretty much as yours, and that was I was longing for better higher ISO performance. But the D7000 has provided much more than ISO performance and has exceeded my expectation.

Fortunately I never had the focus issues some have had,although I've been less than thrilled with the 18-105 kit lens. But I'm happy with the performance with my 17-55 f/2.8 and 70-300 VR.

Unfortunately I do have one of the units with the right side sensor debris issue (I call it lubricant), and my camera is presently on parts hold with Nikon service.

Pete

Pete

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Fri 03-Feb-12 11:20 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: A little advice please!"
In response to Reply # 11

Simcoe, CA

OK. THanks for the info. I'm going to send in some photos that seem to indicate a focussing issue even though I've done everything that this forum says to do.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15869 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.