Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15709
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just checked shutter activations on refurb" Previous topic | Next topic
BigWaveDave Registered since 08th Dec 2011Mon 23-Jan-12 02:38 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just checked shutter activations on refurb"

US

Just bought a refurbished D7000. Checked the exif...has 1,500 shutter activations. A little more than I expected!

I understand a refurb is not new...most likely warranty repaired. I was feeling like I got a good deal, but want to make sure it is totally functional.

Can anyone offer ideas or a checklist for verifying complete functional operation?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just checked shutter activations on refurb
blw Moderator
23rd Jan 2012
RLDubbya
23rd Jan 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
23rd Jan 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
23rd Jan 2012
PAStime Silver Member
29th Jan 2012
Reply message RE: Just checked shutter activations - checklist
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Jan 2012
mikesrc Silver Member
26th Jan 2012
Vlad_IT Silver Member
26th Jan 2012
Future2001
27th Jan 2012
espeto68 Gold Member
29th Jan 2012
fenris117
02nd Feb 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 23-Jan-12 08:39 AM
26302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Just checked shutter activations on refurb"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

1500? Why would you expect less? That's less than 2% of the design life.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

RLDubbya Registered since 24th Dec 2011Mon 23-Jan-12 10:31 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just checked shutter activations on refurb"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I routinely shoot 300 images in an hour session - easily. If it's an action oriented event that I'm covering, I'll shoot 1500-2000 images in an hour.

By that marker, you purchased a very lightly used body.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 23-Jan-12 11:06 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just checked shutter activations on refurb"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I would believe that if it was refurbished by Nikon all operation areas were checked before it was released. If it has a 30/90 day warranty go out and shoot a lot of pictures using the various functions. As others have said, 1,500 is not much.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 23-Jan-12 11:53 AM
690 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just checked shutter activations on refurb"
In response to Reply # 3

Port Charlotte, US

Refurbished cameras have to pass the same rigorous quality tests as a new camera. It's functionally equivalent to a new camera, except for the number of shutter activations and possible physical marks/scuffs, etc. In fact, refurbished cameras have gone through the quality checks twice so they have more quality assurance time than new cameras.

The first 10-days with my D7000 racked up 1,500 images.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 29-Jan-12 01:50 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Just checked shutter activations on refurb"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 29-Jan-12 01:51 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>In fact, refurbished
>cameras have gone through the quality checks twice so they
>have more quality assurance time than new cameras.

Hello,

I have read this before and it sounds intuitive. But do we have any evidence this is what happens with refurbished equipment?

If it does happen, how extensive are the checks as compared with a newly manufactured camera? I would guess there would be fewer checks with a refurbished than with a new camera, especially since with a new camera there are likely checks on sub-components and the whole camera at various milestones during assembly.

If the refurbished camera required a repair, and that repair required dis-assembly and reassembly, then a calibration and checks would have been required.

If the refurbished camera was returned without any complaint from the customer that it was defective, I could imagine a cursory check and cleaning of fingerprints would be done. Again, that is just a guess.

I don't think this is not so simple.

In any case, a refurbished camera is a usually a good deal.

Peter

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 23-Jan-12 05:31 PM
8152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Just checked shutter activations - checklist"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

We have a checklist for a Used / New DSLR anchored in the D100/200/300 Forum. It should apply.

Here is a link:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=149&topic_id=151481&mesg_id=151481&page=

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mikesrc Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Thu 26-Jan-12 03:41 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Just checked shutter activations - checklist"
In response to Reply # 5

OKLAHOMA CITY, US

I bought a refurb last June it had 83 clicks and it has been perfect. As I understand they go through the testing and it just may have that it took that many clicks to make yours perfect. Not to worry because I'd bet it right.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Thu 26-Jan-12 07:20 PM
965 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Just checked shutter activations - checklist"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 26-Jan-12 07:29 PM by Vlad_IT

New Tampa, US

By the end of my first day of owning, testing and setting up a brand new D7000 i was about or over 1000 actuations. By the end of first week - close to 2000. three months later - over 8000.

Best regards,
Vlad

Future2001 Registered since 12th Jan 2012Fri 27-Jan-12 04:44 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Just checked shutter activations - checklist"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I once bought a d5000 that had 5000 clicks. It was obviously an opened box item. I promptly returned it to the store.

1500 shouldn't be too much for a refurb.

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Sun 29-Jan-12 03:48 PM
440 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Just checked shutter activations - checklist"
In response to Reply # 8

Oeiras, PT

Hi all,

I bought a refurbished D70S at B&H last november and it had around 1000 clicks, and that sound pretty new to me, consider an old model with a shorter life expected, like the D70S.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

fenris117 Registered since 18th Dec 2011Thu 02-Feb-12 02:32 AM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Just checked shutter activations - checklist"
In response to Reply # 10

US

haha, that's nothing. I racked up 15,000 in this past summer.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15709 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.