Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15705
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or com..." Previous topic | Next topic
Pete K Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2011Mon 23-Jan-12 01:24 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
Mon 23-Jan-12 03:06 AM by Pete K

Canton, MI, US

B&H Photo appears to be the exclusive distributor for this particular grip. In the reviews several users mention that the dials are not reversed as they appear to be on several third party grips. Any comments, or anyone with one of these care to comment on the quality of this grip?........Thanks

View My Gallery

D7100 | MB-D15 Grip | Nikon Lenses : 300/f4, 70-300 VR, 16-85 VR DX, 10-24 DX, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, TC-14E II, B+W XS-Pro filters on all lenses...

...Still Living on the Edge

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or...
ScottsFJ40 Silver Member
23rd Jan 2012
Pete K Gold Member
24th Jan 2012
billr814
25th Jan 2012
billr814
25th Jan 2012
TheDraftsman
25th Jan 2012
Pete K Gold Member
26th Jan 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
26th Jan 2012
ScottsFJ40 Silver Member
31st Jan 2012
swannking
01st Dec 2012
swannking
06th Dec 2012
swannking
13th Dec 2012

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Mon 23-Jan-12 09:56 PM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

I'm less concerned with the rotation of the dials, having it reversed on the 3rd party one I bought wasn't that big of a thing to get used to, but I would love to know how the battery latch holds up. Not much use if it breaks as easily as the other 3rd party ones.

Scott Wood
www.scottwoodphotography.com
Twitter: Scott_Wood

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Pete K Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2011Tue 24-Jan-12 04:22 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 1

Canton, MI, US

That would be a concern also....I guess there is not much information available about that item....hmmm?

View My Gallery

D7100 | MB-D15 Grip | Nikon Lenses : 300/f4, 70-300 VR, 16-85 VR DX, 10-24 DX, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, TC-14E II, B+W XS-Pro filters on all lenses...

billr814 Registered since 05th Dec 2011Wed 25-Jan-12 12:09 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 25-Jan-12 12:11 AM by billr814

US

well if its anything like bower...i would stay away..i ckd for a vello website...can't find it...almost same scenario with bower..they do have a website...but the phone nos just ring and go dead...no voicemail,,i tried emailing..no luck..i bought a bower grip thru b and h...never really ckd out whether it really worked,opened it after the 30 day return(my fault) came and went...found the electrical connecter was cracked so the camera wouldnt recognize the grip,i have a nikon d7k,...so i called b and h they said to call bower...and here i sit out ...$94.00...i saw the vello grip but couldnt find any co info..google just shows b and h only...proceed with caution..i am a little ticked off at b and h kind of letting me hang out to dry..i have seen other forums ,with same problem getting a hold of anyone at bower...i have to say b and h must be aware of this...they said before the 30 days, that they would do an exchange...then im on my own

billr814 Registered since 05th Dec 2011Wed 25-Jan-12 12:24 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

i also wanted to put out there this is just my opinion and nothing against anyone with bower or vello equipment or any dealings with b and h...thanks

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Wed 25-Jan-12 01:25 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 25-Jan-12 01:29 AM by TheDraftsman

middlesex, US

I just ordered the Vello tonight for my D7000 and my Zeikos will be a back up. I can say one thing about the Vello on my D90 and that is, it is the closest in quality to OEM. I will give an update when I get my grip in two days.

Also, Vello is not only distributed by B&H, it is a B&H product.

Visit Current D90 Set-up.

http://fototime.com/{04CF383D-D221-4184-A88C-5F1B6AFC4AE4}/origpict/proudownerfinal.png

Pete K Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2011Thu 26-Jan-12 11:23 AM
#6. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 5

Canton, MI, US

Thank you for the replies...I will be looking for your update.

View My Gallery

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 26-Jan-12 02:35 PM
1730 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I haven't got the Vello, I purchased a Zeikos via Amazon. To date my grip has been just fine. However, after reading all the strings re: non-Nikon grips I must admit that I treat it well and don't do such things as use a Black Rapid strap that would allow the grip and D7000 to dangle from the tripod socket. I'll bet that if you get the Vello grip and don't manhandle it, you'll be quite happy.

Tom

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Tue 31-Jan-12 04:10 PM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 7

Olympia, US

Hey Draftsman, any updates on the grip?

Scott Wood
www.scottwoodphotography.com
Twitter: Scott_Wood

swannking Registered since 13th Nov 2012Sat 01-Dec-12 04:00 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I bought the Vello for my D7000. Overall, I am happy with it because of the price. I thought I stripped the gear of the lockdown mechanism to the tripod mount when I was testing the tightness of the fit. So I took it apart. To my pleasant surprise, the gears are made of metal and are quite sturdy. There is a weak link however at the bottom of the plastic mold where the plastic locking wheel sits. The wheel has a metal axis and gear fitted in the center but the metal axis is resting on this plastic hole which is quite shallow. I could see that some of the plastic had gotten "shaved" off when the metal axis tried to move out of alignment. My remdy to this problem is to use 2 fingers to tighten the wheel from the front and the back of the grip so that the wheel doesn't pivot too much which will eventually strip the plastic recess for the metal axis.

The second issue that I encountered is that with the Pearstone battery in the grip. When I first put it in and got it connected to the camera, it recognised it without problem. I turned off the camera and turn it back on awhile later and noticed that the camera read low battery in the grip and the shutter is locked just like if your camera battery is too low. I thougth the grip drained my battery but it was not the case. I had to remove the tray in the grip and reinserted it and it was good again. I think it is the battery rather than the grip because I didn't have that problem when I swapped out the batteries and have the Nikon one in the grip and the Pearstone in the camera. Now, here is the other issue. Why didn't the power management switch the power source from the grip+pearstone combo to the camera battery when I got the message of low battery in the grip and locked up the shutter and I was left with no choice but to unplug the battery tray from the grip. Eventhough it might be due to a third party battery, I hope that it is not the grip itself not being able to switch the power over even when I am not using the 3rd party battery.

swannking Registered since 13th Nov 2012Thu 06-Dec-12 03:48 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Well, I am going to return this grip after all. I have the nikon battery in the grip currently but I noticed something strange every now and then with the camera. Last night, I turned the camera on and found the camera using the battery in the body rather than the grip and the grip battery meter did not even show up. I had 2 -3 bars left in the grip battery since last use. I thought the battery grip drained the battery like other mentioned with a different 3rd party grip. I fiddled with it in the menu setup under battery info and nothing showed up under the MB-D11. I played around with the battery grip settings and then the grip battery showed up again with 2 bars. I think I am going to get the Nikon grip instead.

swannking Registered since 13th Nov 2012Thu 13-Dec-12 12:51 AM
#11. "RE: Vello BG-N4 Battery Grip for the D7K....Any info or comments?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

So, I returned the vello and bought the Nikon one. The Nikon one doesn't have any of the issues that I had with the vello.

1) with the vello, I could not change the battery order between the camera and the grip without turning it off and back on again. With the Nikon, I can.

2) I don't have the occ. grip battery disappearing act that I had with the vello.

3) I don't have the problem with the 3rd party battery in the grip as stated before with vello.

I am a happier camper.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15705 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.