Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15701
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tethered Shooting" Previous topic | Next topic
panhead Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2007Mon 23-Jan-12 12:37 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tethered Shooting"

San Marcos, US

I would like to see what is involved in getting my D7000 cabled to my(non-apple)laptop. I'm not a computer wizard, at all. Any advice? My goal is to see what I've shot. I'm not trying to trigger the camera from the computer.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Tethered Shooting
JPJ Silver Member
23rd Jan 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
23rd Jan 2012
panhead Silver Member
23rd Jan 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
23rd Jan 2012
Fabien65
23rd Jan 2012
panhead Silver Member
23rd Jan 2012

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 23-Jan-12 12:58 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tethered Shooting"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Basically all you need is a USB cable and software.

The professional ones would be:

Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2
Lightroom 3.4 and above

Or one of the many cheaper third party programs out there may work for you like DIYPhotobits or SMTether.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Mon 23-Jan-12 12:59 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tethered Shooting"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

There are some simple things you can do to see the images on your PC as you shoot.
1. I use ControlMyNikon software which for a very modest price ($10US) gives me total control over the camera including live view.

2. If you are really cheap, just plug in a USB cable and browse to the memory card in your camera. Then select the option to view extra large icons and you will see the files already on your card and new ones as you shoot. You could then open up a file with some viewer software for a closer look.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

panhead Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2007Mon 23-Jan-12 02:30 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Tethered Shooting"
In response to Reply # 2

San Marcos, US

Thanks for the quick response. I am not opposed to buying some software but I want the "live view" on my laptop (to be the end result). I have the latest Literoom 3 updates installed. That is what I use for pp. I have tethered the camera via USB but don't seem to be having any luck getting the software to "see". What do I do in Lightroom to get live view up? Thanks in advance.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 23-Jan-12 03:26 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Tethered Shooting"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Control My Nikon.

http://www.controlmynikon.com/

It's now $20. But worth every penny.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Mon 23-Jan-12 05:39 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Tethered Shooting"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 23-Jan-12 05:51 AM by Fabien65

FR

Hi all,

Thanks for the link.

Is it possible to do it with view NX2? Or at least, is it possible to see the last picture directly?

panhead Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2007Mon 23-Jan-12 04:30 PM
#6. "RE: Tethered Shooting"
In response to Reply # 4

San Marcos, US

I have ordered the software and am anxious to give it a test run...Once again, Nikonians come through. My best Nikon resource.
Thanks for the help.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15701 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.