Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1565
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?" Previous topic | Next topic
willif Registered since 22nd Oct 2010Sat 06-Nov-10 12:35 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"

DE

Hallo,

I really would like to use the movie function in my D7000 and create some nice videos.
I have read the manual and also watched the Digitutor, but still I haven't understood how to use the features of the cameras for filming. I understand liveview for taking photos, but very unclear is it for me how to focus during filming.
I think what I need is something like a step by step description.
Can anybody help? Is there a tutorial anywhere?

Thanks,

Willi

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?
dhmiller Silver Member
06th Nov 2010
willif
07th Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
07th Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
07th Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
07th Nov 2010
TakeTwo Silver Member
09th Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
09th Nov 2010
willif
10th Nov 2010
TakeTwo Silver Member
11th Nov 2010

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Sat 06-Nov-10 01:02 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've been after this info for a few weeks. You can start here:
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/microsite/d-movie/en/tips/index.htm

and then try the different focus modes (wide area, et a) for different types of shooting scenarios, for example, if the camera is panning, or if your subject is still. Also look at the other threads here - it's been a real piece by piece proposition for me and still not sure I am getting it. There's very little info about auto focus DSLR video shooting since the D7000 is so new.
I'll be happy to share info as I acquire it, though my D7000 now has to go back as I have a blown pixel that appears in all my videos.
Best,
Denis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

willif Registered since 22nd Oct 2010Sun 07-Nov-10 11:59 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"
In response to Reply # 1

DE

Hallo,

thank you very much for this link, I hadn't found it so far.
I will also post here if I find new informations.

Was this blown pixel easy to see?

Willi

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Sun 07-Nov-10 04:23 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

The blown pixel was very easy to see when there was a black background in the area (lower right third of the image). I'm going to return it for a new one when my store gets some more cameras.
Haven't noticed the problem on any still images yet (wonder if that makes sense??)
Best.
Dennis

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Sun 07-Nov-10 12:43 AM
#2. "RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just got this info from Nikon support:
When in video mode the D7000 uses a different autofocus system than when shooting still photos. For almost all moving subjects you'll want to use AF-F mode (Full time-servo AF) and Subject-tracking AF (page 50) and then set the AF point on the part of the scene you want to focus on and track. You may also want to experiment with manual focus, especially on "crowd scenes" because the depth of field will generally be great enough on these wider scenes that focus is not necessary.

Regarding the spots you mention, please see:

Answer Title: What are defect pixels?
Answer Link: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=342&p_created=1034350377

It's normal at slow shutter speeds and high ISO to see some stray pixels. If you see these at "normal" shooting conditions the camera can come in to be checked. These spots are caused by environmental issues and may come and go over time, though.

When shooting still photos the camera can often correct for these spots but when shooting videos sometimes they are more visible.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 07-Nov-10 01:48 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

Good luck!
All camera sensors have some hot or stuck pixels.
But, I heard that you can map them.
This might alleviate any problems.

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Tue 09-Nov-10 01:58 AM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 09-Nov-10 01:59 AM by TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US

I'll ad one thing to that statement.

You said "you'll want to use AF-F mode (Full time-servo AF) and
Subject-tracking AF (page 50) and then set the AF point on the
part of the scene you want to focus on and track."

You have to half press the shutter button on your subject until the green square comes on and then you have to press the OK button for it to track. I used the d-7000 to take many short clips of Boat drag world finals in Phoenix Arizona this last weekend and it worked well under the shaded bleachers. It is extremely difficult to see the screen in bright daylight and rendered shooting clips in theses situations extremely difficult. You can find the AF-F icon on the live screen and use the AF-M button and the dial select to change. I'll add a YouTube link shortly to a clip. Don

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Tue 09-Nov-10 02:07 AM
#7. "RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I'd love to see the YouTube link on this. Do you mean you actually se those icons on the LiveView screen? I don;t recall that happening.. do you have to enable that info to show during recording?
I did not know you had to hit OK to maintain the tracking.. definitely need to try that.
We really need a sticky thread on best practices for video. Anyone know any Nikonians admins?
BEst.
D

willif Registered since 22nd Oct 2010Wed 10-Nov-10 03:34 PM
#8. "RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"
In response to Reply # 6

DE

Hallo,
>
>You have to half press the shutter button on your subject
>until the green square comes on and then you have to press the
>OK button for it to track.

Thank you! This information helps, I didn't realize before, that I also have to press the okay button, now I even found it in the manual.
And it works!

Willi

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Thu 11-Nov-10 04:25 AM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Tutorial for how to make a D7000 movie?"
In response to Reply # 6

South Lake Tahoe, US

You can find my YouTube link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI7Nn6SHZ88&feature=youtube_gdata

Shot freehand using a Nikon 70-200 with a tc3 teleconverter. Not my best work by far but Its all I got. Also used the smx-10 azden microphone. I had a very hard seeing my subjects with the sun shining on the live-view screen. I saw the pros using a camcorder mounted to their hot shoes on their d-300's. It looked like the way to go. They were getting their still shots along with the video at the same time. The next time I shoot the drags I'm going to do what the pros do. A tripod is a must and shooting in shade to preserve your live-screen view is a must. TT

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1565 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.