Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1548
View in linear mode

Subject: "Some ISO 6400 night football" Previous topic | Next topic
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 06-Nov-10 01:40 AM
6055 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Some ISO 6400 night football"

Wethersfield, US

I only spent a few minutes playing with the D7000 at tonight's game. Here are a couple of shots:

Straight out of the camera -- just resized and a bit of sharpening post-resize:
D7000, ISO 6400, High ISO noise reduction = Normal
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 @ 220 mm, f/2.8, 1/640

A shot cropped and processed with Noise Ninja and curve and vibrance adjustment in Photoshop:
D7000, ISO 6400, High ISO noise reduction = Normal
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 @ 300 mm, f/2.8, 1/500

A 100% crop straight out of the camera of the above.

All in all, I felt it performed pretty well. Autofocus was pretty good. My sense was that AF was pretty close to what the D3 does, but I wasn't using the same lens on the two bodies so that's only a preliminary feeling. I'll have to use it much more to really say much with certainty. Auto WB was also quite good.

Despite what I've read elsewhere, the noise performance is not quite up to D700/D3 standards. It's pretty darn good, though. I'd happily make 8x10 prints from the ISO 6400 shots. With a little Photoshop TLC, I think serviceable 12x18's would be doable.

Tomorrow, day football.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Some ISO 6400 night football
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
06th Nov 2010
tommiejeep Silver Member
06th Nov 2010
jbloom Gold Member
06th Nov 2010
tommiejeep Silver Member
06th Nov 2010
jbloom Gold Member
06th Nov 2010

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 06-Nov-10 01:58 AM
2022 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Some ISO 6400 night football"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 06-Nov-10 01:59 AM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

Thanks for the report Jon. I've heard various reports on the D7000's high ISO capability. Tom Hogan concluded that it was the best DX but not in the same league as the D700/D3. Your initial conclusions seem to be the same.

Keep us posted on what you think about the autofocus.

Can't wait to see your day shots.

Bob

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Sat 06-Nov-10 02:57 AM
4390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Some ISO 6400 night football"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 06-Nov-10 03:14 AM by tommiejeep

Goa, IN

Jon, many thanks. What focus settings? Have you tried an Af-on work around? All of my outdoor sports are played in the daytime but come monsoon it might as well be night . These shots do not appear to push AF capabilities but your comment on the D3 is interesting.

ISO looks good compared to the D300/s. Very interested in your day shots and still interested in how burst limits affect you. I am just starting to shoot cricket so getting the ball leaving the bowlers hand, bales coming off the stumps or bat on ball will require burst shooting at speed and in the late afternoon/ early evenings the iso will start climbing(but not to 6400 ) .

A side question...how does the AF speed on your 120-300 2.8 stack up against the 70-200vr? Never used th Sigma but often though about it. Just your feelings since I know AF is hard to quantify If you were shooting handheld, how did the combo 'feel' ? Strange but I find the D3s ,300 2.8 'feels' a lot different to the D300s w/grip balance-wise(all in the mind? ) .

Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 06-Nov-10 09:45 AM
6055 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Some ISO 6400 night football"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

Tom,

AF was set to AF-C, release priority, 9-point dynamic-area with the center point selected. Custom setting a3 (focus tracking with lock on) was set to Normal.

I'm not sure what you mean by an "af-on workaround."

The 6 fps bursts were plenty for what I was shooting. I really don't rely on the burst mode to catch a fast-action moment. Even the 9 fps of the D3 won't guarantee ball-on-bat.

Yes, I was shooting the 120-300 handheld. Not something I recommend; the 120-300 is a heavy lens. (My monopod was occupied by the D3 and 400 f/2.8, otherwise I would have used that.) AF of the 120-300 isn't as smooth as that of the 70-200, but it's accurate and works well. Yes, it does feel a little funny to have such a small body on the end of a big lens.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Sat 06-Nov-10 10:13 AM
4390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Some ISO 6400 night football"
In response to Reply # 3

Goa, IN

Jon, appreciate the info. I use the Af-on button for sport and birds with pretty much the same settings. No AF-on button on the D7000 but supposedly a work-around using the AE-on button(some disagreement on that one ).

How well I know that the burst does not guarantee bat-on-ball but cricket is a bit slower than baseball and I am learning to anticipate better Getting the bales flying is a bit easier unless it is a full toss. Just start the burst as the ball bounces of the pitch. So far only shooting high school aged cricket so hopefully will get better by the time I shoot the big guys .

The AF looks like it will work for daytime soccer but not sure about the small birds in flight but my son normally shoots raptors/Egrets/Herons in flight and they can be pretty easy.
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 06-Nov-10 01:33 PM
#5. "RE: Some ISO 6400 night football"
In response to Reply # 4

Wethersfield, US

>Jon, appreciate the info. I use the Af-on button for sport
>and birds with pretty much the same settings. No AF-on button
>on the D7000 but supposedly a work-around using the AE-on
>button(some disagreement on that one ).

Ah, I get you. Yes, I set the button to perform the AF-ON function, and it works just fine. I hardly ever use the lock button, so it doesn't bother me that the only button is now AF-ON.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1548 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.