Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15477
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
gesie Registered since 24th Dec 2011Tue 17-Jan-12 06:13 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000"

ZA

There appears to be considerable confusion and misinformation on the use of the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000 camera. The information provided in the Nikon manual is somewhat limited. Some books on the camera provide more information, but this is also not complete.

I have undertaken various tests using a spreadsheet for retrieving settings from the NCSetup7.BIN file which provided a detailed insight in the operations of the camera. The major finding of these tests is that not all camera settings can be saved to a single BIN file. It is only possible to save one of the three major banks of settings at a time (including the U1 and U2 mode settings). There appears to be considerable confusing amongst users of the camera in this regard.

More findings that could be of general interest are provided in the following document:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296583/U1U2Operations.pdf

Any comments and contributions will be welcomed.

Christo

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000
icslowmo Silver Member
17th Jan 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
17th Jan 2012
KentuckyCajun
18th Jan 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
18th Jan 2012
KentuckyCajun
18th Jan 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
18th Jan 2012
KentuckyCajun
18th Jan 2012

icslowmo Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2012Tue 17-Jan-12 06:23 PM
440 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 17-Jan-12 06:23 PM by icslowmo

Phoenix, US

I use U1 and U2 and have noticed it saves all settings including picture control profiles (Modified) WB settings, AF settings, Aperture setting, Auto ISO settings.... etc... works well for me

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 17-Jan-12 09:01 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Joanna, US

I have not had any problems saving any settings to either U1 or U2. Works great and is easy to change settings.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

KentuckyCajun Registered since 17th Nov 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 02:10 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Prospect, US

He's talking about ways to save and restore the U1/U2 settings to the NCSetup7.BIN file -- not saving the camera configuration TO U1/U2.

It's easy to save operating modes to U1 and U2 and then retrieve them by rotating the camera's knob. But Nikon gives no obvious way to back up those settings to a memory card for later use.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 18-Jan-12 11:22 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

Hi Jim,

Thanks for clearing everything up but, actually, I was replying to post #1.

John

KentuckyCajun Registered since 17th Nov 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 12:22 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Prospect, US

And so was I!

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 18-Jan-12 12:35 PM
#6. "RE: Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Joanna, US

Hi Jim,

It appears that I offended you but that certainly was not my intent. As poster one is a relatively new Nikonians I was just reaffirming his remarks by replying to him. Your reply was to post 2, not the OP nor #1. Again, please accept my apologizes and have a blessed day.

John

KentuckyCajun Registered since 17th Nov 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 01:22 PM
#7. "RE: Using the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Prospect, US

I'm not offended -- just confused!

These threads always seem to get convoluted and difficult to follow when people like me simply hit "Reply" to the latest post (like I've just done).

Let's get back on thread --

The Nikon manual and many other forum messages seem confusing to many people (I'm certainly one of them!) regarding the saving of camera data to the NCSETUP7.BIN file on the SD card. I certainly thought that ALL of the camera's current settings (as detailed on page 244 of the D7000 manual) were saved - INCLUDING the U1/U2 contents. Rereading those pages AGAIN, I do note that Nikon doesn't mention anything specific about U1/U2 on page 244, but does say that Custom settings are saved. Page 75 says that U1/U2 includes the Custom settings -- resulting in a VERY erroneous assumption on my part! Page 244 also makes no mention of the Mode dial!

I've been using U1/U2 quite a bit and enjoying the flexibility that it provides, but was grossly disappointed when I tried to restore them from a NCSETUP7.BIN file. I also couldn't figure out why the file restore process seemed to work inconsistently or incorrectly at times.

It never occurred to me that the setting of the Mode Dial impacted the data that was stored or retrieved from NCSETUP7.BIN. Rereading many internet messages and blogs, it appears that the conflicting reports regarding NCSETUP7.BIN and the U1/U2 memory banks were probably the result of where users had their Mode dial set during the save/restore operation. What a mess!

Christo has documented all of this and presented a way to save and restore not only the main camera settings, but also the U1/U2 settings to the NCSETUP7.BIN files. He certainly helped ME with this information and has been working on an Excel spreadsheet to help MANAGE the need multiple NCSETUP7.BIN files.

Has anyone else found a way to save and restore U1/U2 WITHOUT resorting to the rather complex process that Christo detailed?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15477 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.