Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15263
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cable release/intervalometer plug converter" Previous topic | Next topic
baines11 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2011Sun 08-Jan-12 04:08 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"

US

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has come across an adapter for using the standard Nikon plug for cable release and timers with the new Nikon plug.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Jan 2012
baines11 Silver Member
08th Jan 2012
greenwing Gold Member
08th Jan 2012
baines11 Silver Member
08th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th Jan 2012
ScottsFJ40 Silver Member
09th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th Jan 2012
baines11 Silver Member
09th Jan 2012
ScottsFJ40 Silver Member
09th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
12th Jan 2012
KentuckyCajun
12th Jan 2012
baines11 Silver Member
12th Jan 2012
KentuckyCajun
12th Jan 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 08-Jan-12 04:27 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 08-Jan-12 04:29 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The 10 pin accessory port is about as standard as any Nikon remote release one is going to get. The D7000 does not use this type of port. The 10 pin accessory port is still used on the Nikon film and dSLRs.

Have you looked for remote releases at any of the major camera stores. There are many third products that will provide a release that is wired, wireless, and has an intervalometer within the remote unit.

B&H Vello Shutter Boss
Adorama: Hahnel Giga T Pro

George
My Nikonian Galleries

baines11 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2011Sun 08-Jan-12 07:17 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I know there are specific units out there for the D7000, but I have an opportunity to get one of the older styles for free. It looks like this may be the future path for Nikon and it would be great if an adapter is made!

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sun 08-Jan-12 07:49 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 08-Jan-12 07:50 PM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

> It looks like this may be the future path for Nikon

Not from a quick look at the front of the D4. They seem to have some continuity problems from D80-D90-D7000, but in the D200/300 and FX cameras the 10 pin socket reigns.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a D7000-specific remote for less than the appropriate adapter.

Chris

baines11 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2011Sun 08-Jan-12 10:45 PM
#4. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I was assuming that the connector was the new direction due to this photo of the D4 input array. Could be wrong though.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 09-Jan-12 01:01 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 09-Jan-12 07:43 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Have you looked at the accessory page?

The accessory page shows both the 10 pin accessories and the MC-DC2 releases. An image of the front of the D4 also shows a large rubber cover where a 10 pin accessory port could be located. The 10 pin accessory series of releases have a screw in lock and have been on Nikon pro and semi-pro cameras in the film only era.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Mon 09-Jan-12 08:21 PM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 5

Olympia, US

Add me to the list of people that would love to find an adapter that would allow me to use my old MC-20 cable releases with my D7000. I still have 2 D200's that I carry around, and it would be awesome to have a single release.

Scott Wood
www.scottwoodphotography.com
Twitter: Scott_Wood

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 09-Jan-12 08:39 PM
#7. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 09-Jan-12 08:41 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Have you tried the DIY approach?

You could modify the MC-20 to be split and joined by either 2.5mm or 3.5mm stereo plugs to match the Promote Systems Control Shutter Cable for Nikon D90/D3100/D5000/D5100/D7000. It should cost less than $30.00 USD unless you need to buy the tools.

You may need to search the web for the 10 pin accessory wiring diagram.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

baines11 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2011Mon 09-Jan-12 09:00 PM
#8. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Great idea!

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Mon 09-Jan-12 09:18 PM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 8

Olympia, US

I may end up going the DIY route after I have a little free time, the wife and I are moving 1500 miles away this spring and that is consuming our free time right now.

I don't think it would really be that hard to make an adapter, perhaps an idea for a little cottage industry gadget.

Scott Wood
www.scottwoodphotography.com
Twitter: Scott_Wood

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 12-Jan-12 09:18 PM
#10. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 4

Chicago, US

And on <|the front of the D4> shows the PC flash connector and the 10 pin accessory port and the ML-L3 sensor port.

The choice of the photo was not because of the blog it is linked to.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

KentuckyCajun Registered since 17th Nov 2011Thu 12-Jan-12 11:13 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 10

Prospect, US

There are adapters already available on ebay -- search for "NIKON MC-DC2 plug adapter" and you should see versions for just about anything you want to do. 10-pin MC-30 version is $9.99 delivered.

Another possibility is to buy the Canon version of the adapter and install a matching 2.5mm inline plug and jack (commonly available at radio shack) in the cord of the MC30 -- this would allow you to swap connector ends or use the adapter for an intervalometer or other project. The idea is to convert the MC-DC2 to something that you can easily hack into.

You can also buy a cheap MC-DC2 style remote for under $4 and cut the cable off to save a few bucks. Seems strange to be able to buy the entire remote for less than the adapter costs, but that's what hacking is all about!

Search google for "Camera remote release pinout list" and "Camera remote release pinout list" to get all the background info you need.

baines11 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2011Thu 12-Jan-12 11:41 PM
#12. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Once again reminded why I love this site! Thanks!!!

KentuckyCajun Registered since 17th Nov 2011Thu 12-Jan-12 11:58 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Cable release/intervalometer plug converter"
In response to Reply # 12

Prospect, US

If you want a really cool DIY intervalometer project to plug into your new DIY adapter, search google for "Intervallino"

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15263 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.