Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15243
View in linear mode

Subject: "What focal length for street photography?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Sat 07-Jan-12 08:35 PM
697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What focal length for street photography?"

Banning, US

Don't know if I will take the D7000 or D300 yet, but not sure what focal length lens to take for street photography. I am a macro and landscape shooter and have never really done any urban work other than statues and large buildings.

So what focal length lens do I take for urban street photography?

Jerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What focal length for street photography?
km6xz Moderator
07th Jan 2012
JonK Moderator
07th Jan 2012
jerry r Silver Member
07th Jan 2012
jerry r Silver Member
08th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
08th Jan 2012

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 07-Jan-12 09:20 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What focal length for street photography?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

There are many subjects that fall under the general term of "street" but people shots going about normal life or an interesting slant on routine activities is most often what is meant. If from a distance, a 70-200 is great but if you are close in and intimate the field of view of 24 1.4 makes it favorite. One a DX is it great for this but on FX it is better for architecture and landscape I suppose, never use it for that.
For small and inconspicuous the 35 1/8 is common but might be too long on DX.
How light do you want to travel? A kit lens like a 18-105 is pretty versatile and light and works better than it ought to on a D7000.
Getting up close is a problem with distortion on a wide angle, which is tolerated very nicely in landscape but is a killer with people in the near frame unless centered so the widest I would try for people street shots is the 24mm on DX.
What sort of scenes? Focused on people?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 07-Jan-12 10:25 PM
4473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What focal length for street photography?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

My street photo lenses would be the 24-120 f/4. Good range for a wide variety of subjects.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Sat 07-Jan-12 10:44 PM
697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What focal length for street photography?"
In response to Reply # 2

Banning, US

thanks to both of you.

The 24 -120 is where I am leaning also. In fact it is the lens that is most frequently on our camera bodies - we have his and hers copies as we do with much of our equipment. When I carry the 24-120, I usually have the 12-24 with me.

In this case I am tempted to just travel with the 24-120. This is a workshop experience and the instructor has suggest one lens only. But since everyone's style is a little different, he is non-commital on which lens.

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Sun 08-Jan-12 04:06 AM
#4. "RE: What focal length for street photography?"
In response to Reply # 3

Banning, US

Just discovered that the PJ forum is also for street photography.

Jerry

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 08-Jan-12 08:40 PM
11303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What focal length for street photography?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Please direct any replies to this duplicate thread in the D300 forum.

Thank you

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15243 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.