Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1524
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 arrived in Switzerland" Previous topic | Next topic
aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Thu 04-Nov-10 10:33 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 arrived in Switzerland"
Sat 06-Nov-10 06:40 PM by aerobat

Büren, CH

I've just received the D7000 today which I ordered right after announcement. I'm coming from the D300 and D200 and want to replace the D200. The body feels well made but I need to adapt a little to the smaller size first. I've only played around tonight and one thing I couldn't find is how to enable 100% review of the photos with one click. I've had the middle press on the multiselector of the D200 and D300 programmed to do that. I find this very important to judge image sharpness quickly in the field. I don't like to fiddle with the +/- loupe as you may enlarge beyond 100% where fotos are rendered unsharp anyway. I read as much as I could in the manual but couldn't find it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland
willif
06th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
06th Nov 2010
elec164 Silver Member
06th Nov 2010
aerobat
06th Nov 2010
aerobat
07th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
07th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
08th Nov 2010
karlm
07th Nov 2010
aerobat
07th Nov 2010

willif Registered since 22nd Oct 2010Sat 06-Nov-10 10:29 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 0

DE

Hallo,

genau danach suche ich auch!
I am also looking for this feature desperately. It really looks like it is gone.
The "f2" topic "ok button" does only support the shooting mode, not the display mode like in D200/D300. We have to ask Nikon for this feature again.

But I found another nice feature, "d3", where you now can set/change the IOS via the command dial.

Willi

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 06-Nov-10 10:54 AM
4088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

The one-click zoom absence has been noted elsewhere.

I hope they add it back-in with firmware.

Like you say, too easy to zoom to far. I'll have to compare to my D300 and count off how many manual zoom clicks to use...

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 06-Nov-10 03:25 PM
1893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 06-Nov-10 07:04 PM by elec164

US

>I find this very important to judge image sharpness
>quickly in the field. I don't like to fiddle with the +/-
>loupe as you may enlarge beyond 100% where fotos are rendered
>unsharp anyway.

As already stated it appears that feature was not included on the D7000, but it certainly seems like it would be a convenient feature. Especially the description in the D300 manual stating that it centers the zoom on the active focus point. But it really does not say what the low, medium and high zoom would equate to. And never having used such a feature I cannot say what would appear on the screen..

But I did participate in a discussion over in the D70/D80/D90 forum about the LCD screen resolution and zoom equivalent. But quite frankly Nikon’s specifications do not make it easy to calculate what the screen resolution is. They give the screen specs as “dots”. But LCD screens are made up of RGB segments which are rectangles (three times high as wide) and not round dots. And it takes at least three segments to simulate a pixel or you could say it represents 9 dots. So what does Nikon mean by dots (9 simulated dots, 3 LCD segments or actual pixels).

After a bit of testing of my lowly D80 it appeared that full zoom was about 100% view (one screen pixel equaled on image pixel). So I would think that all the DSLR’s would provide a similar zoom but different amount of the image shown due to difference in screen size and image pixel dimension. And a quick check of the specs of a few different models seems to indicate that full zoom would indeed be about 100% view.

So it would then come down to what the low, medium and high magnification setting of the center button choice represented. And it appears to me that the only way of knowing would be to do the testing of what the setting showed. So it appears to me that the high magnification at most may have been approximately 100% view, or possible something slightly less then 100%.

Pete

Edited to add:

After having more time to go over the calculations it seems my assumption may have been off. While the D80 indeed only provide max 100% view, it appears cameras such as the D90 and D300 may offer about 225% view at maximum zoom. Again if one is so inclined it is not to difficult to determine it if one has the camera in hand and the image in a photo editor.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Sat 06-Nov-10 06:42 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 3

Büren, CH

I just sold my D7000 today. I just can't go back to a smaller body and certain features are missing. But it sure is a great camera and the IQ is very good. Nevertheless I'll wait for the D400 or even change to FX.

Regards,

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Sun 07-Nov-10 08:02 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 07-Nov-10 08:03 AM by aerobat

Büren, CH

On the D300 the medium magnification is 100% which is what I use. This is so useful that its absence on the D7000 is a no go for me. It sure should be included in the first firmware update.

Regards,

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 07-Nov-10 01:59 PM
4088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

I agree we need this in firmware. The default action seems to be placing me in the in-camera editing menu - that is not something I have ever tried doing

So far I do find the D7000 monitor screen to be sharp and good for evaluating image sharpness.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 07-Nov-10 05:44 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

Does the D7000 retain the D90 feature of being able to scroll through shots while maintaining the same level of screen magnification? I always found that to be handy for comparing shots at high magnification. I never saw that in the manual but just stumbled on the feature in use.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 08-Nov-10 04:18 AM
#10. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 08-Nov-10 04:23 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

>Does the D7000 retain the D90 feature of being able to scroll
>through shots while maintaining the same level of screen
>magnification? I always found that to be handy for comparing
>shots at high magnification. I never saw that in the manual
>but just stumbled on the feature in use.
>

Yes, I can use the rear command dial to scroll through images backwards and forwards. On my other cameras I had to zoom in at least once to get the camera to respond to the rear command wheel, but I think I noticed I don't have to zoom even once to engage this scrolling feature on the D7000. But yes it also works at your selected magnification to answer your question.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

karlm Basic MemberSun 07-Nov-10 03:16 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 3

Banyuls sur Mer, FR

I took a picture of a ruler with my D90 and calculated the following zooms from max to min, %: 400, 200, 100, 67, 50, 33, 25, 19, 15.

Karl

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Sun 07-Nov-10 06:30 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 07-Nov-10 08:52 PM by aerobat

Büren, CH

Hi Karl,

I've also counted six presses on the + of the loupe to get 100% - that's right. I just find it cumbersome to have to click six times to get what I want. This seems to have been left away on purpose (crippling). I'd appreciate if Nikon would stay consistent in the whole lineup with such basic functions. I've even got differences in reviewing photos between my D200 and D300 which can be annoying at times. Same function on one camera is accessed with the selector left/right and on the other camera by up/down.

Regards,

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1524 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.