Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15234
View in linear mode

Subject: "Auto ISO sensitivity...." Previous topic | Next topic
Ob1chubster Registered since 05th Dec 2011Sat 07-Jan-12 05:49 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Auto ISO sensitivity...."

GB

Hi all....I have been using this today whilst out shooting some dogs and when reviewing the images I notice that the iso number that is shown on the info screen is red. Why would this be ?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Auto ISO sensitivity....
mklass Platinum Member
07th Jan 2012
aolander Silver Member
07th Jan 2012
kentak Silver Member
07th Jan 2012
Ob1chubster
08th Jan 2012
texspeel Silver Member
08th Jan 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 07-Jan-12 06:08 PM
5860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Auto ISO sensitivity...."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 07-Jan-12 07:33 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Not sure on the D7000, but on the D700 and D3s that means that the ISO was determined by AutoISO rather than manually set. I imagine it is the same for the D7000.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 07-Jan-12 06:10 PM
3190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Auto ISO sensitivity...."
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It's because your using auto-ISO (like your title says), and the ISO used is different than what you selected.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 07-Jan-12 07:31 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Auto ISO sensitivity...."
In response to Reply # 0

US

In addition to what the others have said, you may find it useful to note that the words "ISO/AUTO" will be flashing in the viewfinder when auto ISO has engaged and is setting an ISO value different from your preferred one. Otherwise, the words remain non-flashing.

Also, I choose "Show ISO sensitivity" in menu d3, which allows me to keep an eye on how much the ISO is changing while auto is engaged.

Kent

Ob1chubster Registered since 05th Dec 2011Sun 08-Jan-12 11:55 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Auto ISO sensitivity...."
In response to Reply # 3

GB

OK, thanks all, I wasnt sure whether it meant that it was out of range or something similar. Red to me means a warning.

Along those lines if using auto iso is there anything in the viewfinder that would let you know that a scene cannot be correctly exposed with the min /max iso/shutter speeds you have selected in the menu ?

texspeel Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Sun 08-Jan-12 01:47 PM
346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Auto ISO sensitivity...."
In response to Reply # 4

Fairfax Station, US

I don't think you get a warning because if the scene cannot be correctly exposed within the bounds of your settings, the camera will exceed your setting. There is a very oblique discussion in the D7000 owner's manual under Auto ISO Sensitivity Controls, but Fellow Nikonian Darrell Young has an excellent description in his book "Mastering the D7000".
In short, Darrell's explanation - shooting in programmed or aperture priority. The camera will keep the ISO as low as possible until it hits the minimum shutter speed you set in the ISO sensitivity settings. It then starts increasing the ISO until it hits the max ISO value you set. If there still not enough light, it will then decrease shutter speed below the min shutter speed you set to try and achieve proper exposure.
If you don't have a copy of Darrell's excellent book, I'd recommend you get a copy. I read it from cover to cover when I got it and find myself refering to it frequently.
Enjoy your D7000.

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15234 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.