Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15229
View in linear mode

Subject: "Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansuro..." Previous topic | Next topic
J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Sat 07-Jan-12 05:19 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
Sat 07-Jan-12 05:48 PM by J_Harris

US

By now most everyone is aware of the back/front focus and grease on the sensor issues that have been discussed on this board.

Mansurovs is often overshadowed as a reviewer in lieu of Hogan/Rockwell and others, but is excellent in his unbiased analysis and reviews. On November 9, 2011 he wrote an "update" to his original review of the D7000 addressing the "issues" users have had since the review. Don't forget to read the original review to put everything in context - in his review he addresses just about every "issue" that has been discussed on this board.

If you haven't read it already it is informative - as is his original D7000 review. The link is below.

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d7000-review-follow-up

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Man...
scrumpy Silver Member
07th Jan 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
07th Jan 2012
km6xz Moderator
07th Jan 2012
myfotoguy
08th Jan 2012
texspeel Gold Member
10th Jan 2012
pieterv10
10th Jan 2012
elec164 Silver Member
10th Jan 2012
pieterv10
10th Jan 2012
km6xz Moderator
10th Jan 2012
pieterv10
10th Jan 2012
hawaii502160
11th Jan 2012
kuzzy Silver Member
11th Jan 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
11th Jan 2012
terps1969
12th Jan 2012
mikeon
12th Jan 2012

scrumpy Silver Member Charter MemberSat 07-Jan-12 05:36 PM
185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 0

Calne, GB

Hi J, thanks for pointing us in the direction of this Nikon-centric site. Aside from yourD7000 link, it looks like there is tons of good stuff here. Nice one!

Cheers!

Lee

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Sat 07-Jan-12 06:53 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 1

US

You’re welcome.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 07-Jan-12 08:36 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Nice web site/blog. Thanks for the link.

His conclusion is pretty much how I have been saying for a while, based primarily on how poor of diagnostic techniques people have shown before jumping to conclusions that the camera is defective by design and fuzzy photos are Nikon's fault. In that respect, it IS Nikon's fault for marketing the complex high performance camera as a do everything for everyone camera suitable for first time camera owners and semi-pros and all in between. It is hard sitting down and evaluating the evidence if the basic fundamentals of light, color and optics are not known.
There should be a logical path between the evidence and conclusion but in most cases that path is broken from the first step.
Several local owners have asked me to figure out what is wrong with their D7000, which they are sure is back focus or a defective camera. Asking a few questions and asking for setting and intent of the photo it was clear in a couple of the cases the person had no idea of what he wanted or how to get it. Breaking the problem to logical smaller bits that could be tested simply, the source of the problem was arrived at...too slow of shutter, poor light and not using the AF assist in conditions that needed it, not understanding the size of the focus sensor in relation to the size of the indicator box. The most common was poor light for the settings. I am surprised how many people do not know what focus is and isn't. Another common issue is dirt being assumed to be a defect rather than a normal preventative maintenance routine item. Nikon gets blamed by people for their camera getting dirty, "I have only had it for 3 months and I live in a clean house, it must be Nikon's fault" Asking them how many times in 3 months they have dusted their home does not seem to register. But in every case, the owner ended up with some sharp, in-focus images.
When diagnosing a problem, the conclusion must fit all the evidence or it is just a guess and probably wrong.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

myfotoguy Registered since 03rd Dec 2008Sun 08-Jan-12 02:15 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 3

Richfield, US

Yeah, thanks for that link, looks like some good info (and inspiration) at that site.

-Tim

Visit my Zenfolio gallery.

texspeel Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Tue 10-Jan-12 04:41 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 3

Fairfax Station, US

Stan,
Well said!
Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

pieterv10 Registered since 09th Jan 2012Tue 10-Jan-12 01:34 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Good link, thanks. Does put things into perspective a bit.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 10-Jan-12 04:56 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 10-Jan-12 04:57 PM by elec164

US

>Good link, thanks. Does put things into perspective a bit.

Yes it does, but IMHO, it pretty much reflects the comments and threads here at Nikonians.

The majority of D7000 owners have no issues; while some have focus issues (few of which are camera issues and the majority were user error). And some have other issues (like the right side debris problem) while the majority do not.

Pete

pieterv10 Registered since 09th Jan 2012Tue 10-Jan-12 06:32 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Yes. What I found is that I have a back focus issue with one lens. All the others are fine.

I wonder how much of the discussion of the D7000 back focusses, should actually be about lens calibration, rather than camera mis-calibrarion.

Pieter

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 10-Jan-12 07:19 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

No doubt there are some lenses and some cameras which need re-calibration. Often the user wants to debate it for weeks and rant about Nikon designing a bad camera. If the person made a conclusion, using logic and evidence, which should only take a few minutes, that the camera or lens needed adjustment, Nikon has been doing it under warranty and turning them around quickly. Seems like there is no real excuse for a badly adjusted camera when the manufacturer has shown to be responsive in making the needed adjustments.
But, instead the long 2-3 month 150 post rants which solves nothing, exist on several forums. Maybe those people do not even have the camera but are there just as trolls. Forums are actively used to sway unsuspecting audiences away from or to companies and that is becoming a major part of marketing in a number of fields. When you see a long rant and insistence that one brand makes defective worthless products, look up the post history of the main posters with the most venom and often you will find a long history of the same behavior, targeting the same company. Or you will see no posting history with a brand new logon name.
One of the beauties of Nikonian's is that it is a close enough community that when there is a out of character rant post it often does not generate any heat. The posting personalities become known there is less chance of a one post wonder creating a controversy for trouble's sake. Some forums like the highly influential DPR are terrible and almost worthless due to that troll type of post and it is obviously coming from organized efforts to sway public opinion.
There are companies now which will create good or bad reputations on forums for or against companies. I get approached all the time for this "service" and I know from monitoring and being moderator of a large travel forum that this is very common. Why? Because it is tremendously effective and cheaper than conventional ads.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

pieterv10 Registered since 09th Jan 2012Tue 10-Jan-12 07:38 PM
#10. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

That is interesting, Stan, particularly in view of your personal exprience of being offered such a "service". A very nasty kind of marketing, and I suppose legal redress will be near impossible.

Pieter

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Wed 11-Jan-12 12:48 PM
183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 11-Jan-12 12:50 PM by hawaii502160

Cleveland, US

Stan,

I'd just like to say thank you! I always find your posts very informative! I read everything I could find about the D7000 before purchasing one. I was aware of all of the "mis-focus" issues, but I decided I wanted the latest technology, so I hunted one down at my local Best Buy, and I haven't looked back! I will admit, shortly after I got it, I fell into the "I have to focus test all of my lenses"...even though I didn't have notice any focus issues in my pics. Out came the tripod and focus charts, and I spent 2 days pulling my hair out wondering if my camera had issues. I then decided to just take the camera out and use it (and have fun). Between all of the info posted here, and Hogan's guide, I quickly realized that any of my pics that were fuzzy were my fault, not the camera. I adjusted my settings AND my shooting technique, and I couldn't be happier with this camera!!!

Again, a big thank you to you and to all of the other Nikonian members who have so willingly helped us new D7000 owners to get up and running!!!

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Wed 11-Jan-12 02:44 AM
1235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Thanks for posting this link. As others have said there really are no surprises there just confirmation of what we have seen here at Nikonians. Always nice to see it coming from somewhere else though so that you have some assurance that what has been professed on this forum is reasonably consistent with others findings.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 11-Jan-12 12:10 PM
#12. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 12-Jan-12 03:42 AM by J_Harris

US

Glad everyone is enjoying Mansurov's D7000 article and website. No, I don't have any affiliation.

Just wanted to add that I have had no "issues" with my D7000 - excluding a very steep learning curve that was shortened and made bearable by doing research, reading Thom Hogan's book, relying on the fantastic real-world knowledge and experience of nikonian members and moderators, and practice, practice, practice.

terps1969 Registered since 29th Nov 2011Thu 12-Jan-12 12:59 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 12

Loudon, US

First I did not know I had a problem until I read the forum listing the focus problems, then I wonder how bad a problem I must have because I did not know I had a problem. Now I am felling better after reading the Mansurov reviews. At least now I know, I need to buy better lens. I quess I better start saving my money.

His review did seem to be right on and it did settle my mind a bit, I was starting to wonder if I had purchased a camera that is going to give me problems.

Bill Pritchard

mikeon Registered since 01st Oct 2004Thu 12-Jan-12 10:51 AM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Very good "brief" update on D7000 "problems" by Mansurovs"
In response to Reply # 0

Örebro, SE

Thank you very much for the link to mansurovs.com. Lot of good information there...

/Mikael
-----------------------
D800 & D7000 user (Sweden)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15229 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.