Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1517
View in linear mode

Subject: "MB-d11 prices" Previous topic | Next topic
yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Thu 04-Nov-10 08:07 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"MB-d11 prices"

San carlos, US

I saw the MB-d11 pricing at $250, plus a $60 battery, which bring the price to 25% of the D7000 pricing. Just for a place to hold a second battery.

Geez, Nikon must really thing we are all stupid. Ok bring on the after market stuff, $75 anyone?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: MB-d11 prices
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
04th Nov 2010
OpticalSerenity
05th Nov 2010
jbloom Gold Member
05th Nov 2010
mort Gold Member
05th Nov 2010
M_Jackson Silver Member
05th Nov 2010
yelcab
05th Nov 2010
jbloom Gold Member
06th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
06th Nov 2010

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 04-Nov-10 08:30 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: MB-d11 prices"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 04-Nov-10 08:30 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Like Gillete, give away the razor (camera) and manke the money selling the blades (accessories).

Not much different from the MD-10.

Your spell checker must be the Cupertino version.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 04-Nov-10 08:57 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: MB-d11 prices"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I am sire Zeikos will have one out in a month or two. They have a very similar one for the D300/700 that sells for 1/3 the price of the Nikon grip.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Fri 05-Nov-10 04:56 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: MB-d11 prices"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

I agree, amazingly expensive.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how they use accessories to make their money, but still. At $250, I'd expect it to come with a battery. For now, I'm just going to pick up a second battery and I'll just have to save up for the grip.

And I too use a Cupertino based 'puter, and love it.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 05-Nov-10 08:28 AM
6110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: MB-d11 prices"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I plan to use AA batteries, which reduces the total cost somewhat.

To be exact, it's not just a place to hold a second battery. If that's all it were I wouldn't want one. The availability of the buttons and command wheel when the camera is rotated to the portrait position is what attracts me.

I may be stupid, but I'm buying the MB-D11. My experience with aftermarket products in general is that while some are OK, many are not of the quality of the OEM product, especially when it comes to fit and finish.

As with anything, the bottom like is: If you don't like the price, don't buy the product.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

mort Gold Member Nikonian since 21st May 2007Fri 05-Nov-10 03:17 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: MB-d11 prices"
In response to Reply # 4

Aylesford, GB

If the price is $250 then it is not far off the price for the MB-D10 which is the D300/D700 grip. The MB-D10 is magnesium to match the body and is the best grip and most comfortable I have ever used. If the design and quality of the MB-D11 matches the MB-D10 then it is worth the cost.

Stephen

D700 - D80
F4s for B&W film
Assorted lenses

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 05-Nov-10 04:37 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: MB-d11 prices"
In response to Reply # 5

Jackson, US

I have been debating this myself, even without knowing the list price of the grip. At least on the MB-d10, we got an extra couple of frames per second along with the vertical buttons. The L-Brackets from RRS and Kirk are more expensive for the grip version and they usually lag behind the regular L-Brackets as far as production schedules go. I get over 2000 actuations on my D-300 when using the AA batteries and the grip and see the standard battery for the D7000 is only rated at something like 800 images. Not sure if AA's would perform as well on the D7000 yet. I haven't seen nor searched for the information, but it would be awfully nice if the 8 battery clip from the D300 grip fit the grip for the D7000. That might sway my decision to the grip.

I think I will probably just buy an extra battery or two and a basic L-Bracket and wait to spend the extra bucks on the accessories for whatever replaces a D300s or D700. I have a fairly expensive L-viewer, remote trigger, and a lightning trigger that probably won't work with the D7000 but might work with the D300 and D700 replacements.

M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Fri 05-Nov-10 05:05 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: MB-d11 prices"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 05-Nov-10 05:14 PM by yelcab

San carlos, US

I consider a grip for all my Nikons because I like a substantial feel in my hand when I am shooting. On my D70, my pinky has nowhere to grip, until I put a grip on. On my D200, the grip was $175 and I bought that along with the camera on the same day.

The D700 body alone is too small for my hand, without a grip. But, I have a problem justifying the $300 for a grip, even a Nikon grip. It is not the money, it is the gouging that I despise.

That and Thom Hogan just dissed the NX2 software.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 06-Nov-10 09:54 AM
6110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: MB-d11 prices"
In response to Reply # 6

Wethersfield, US

>I haven't seen nor searched for the
>information, but it would be awfully nice if the 8 battery
>clip from the D300 grip fit the grip for the D7000. That might
>sway my decision to the grip.

Since the battery holders are different part numbers (MS-D11 vs MS-D10), I should think it unlikely they are interchangeable. It would be nice, though.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 06-Nov-10 10:37 AM
4215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: MB-d11 prices"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 06-Nov-10 10:37 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

>...but it would be awfully nice if the 8 battery
>clip from the D300 grip fit the grip for the D7000. That might
>sway my decision to the grip.
>

No - the D7000 grip holds only 6 AAs.

I am a little torn too about getting the grip for similar reasons to you - on my D400 I definitely want the grip and by that point my D7000 will be playing 2nd camera role, where I don't actually need a grip as badly if at all. It's only for the next year (until the D400 comes out) that I need a spare battery and/or a grip for the D7000. Hmmm what's the resale market like for Nikon grips and spare batteries?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1517 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.