Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15155
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
dgmosby Registered since 10th Nov 2011Thu 05-Jan-12 08:18 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000"

US

Anyone else having trouble with the color they get with the D7000?
When compared to what I see and what my old D200, I get some terrible reds, particularly from the red rocks in southern Utah. Sent the camera to Nikon, they claimed they fixed it, it is still bad, and I do not feel they care. There is a notable difference in what I get from RAW files, and trying to get the .jpg files to come out well, is well, nearly a joke.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000
km6xz Moderator
05th Jan 2012
billD80 Silver Member
05th Jan 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
05th Jan 2012
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th Jan 2012
dgmosby
05th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
05th Jan 2012
km6xz Moderator
05th Jan 2012
JPJ Silver Member
05th Jan 2012
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
06th Jan 2012
tcerul
06th Jan 2012
dgmosby
06th Jan 2012
hawaii502160
06th Jan 2012
Kitiara121
06th Jan 2012
dgmosby
07th Jan 2012
icslowmo Silver Member
08th Jan 2012
dgmosby
08th Jan 2012
briantilley Moderator
08th Jan 2012
dgmosby
08th Jan 2012
briantilley Moderator
08th Jan 2012
JPJ Silver Member
06th Jan 2012
billD80 Silver Member
06th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
06th Jan 2012

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 05-Jan-12 08:45 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

From my experience the red are stronger in the D7000 than D90 but that could be the conversion software since that determines the color saturation and hue for the raw sensor data. Can you post JPGs of images(using standard or neutral conversion profiles) that demonstrate what you are finding? What rendering engine are you using?
I use Capture NX2 2.3, LT 3.5 and the latest ACR.
I tried RawTherapee and found colors were off, reds too vivid but some D90 raw files looked good so I assume it was their camera profile was not sorted out yet for the D7000.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 05-Jan-12 08:57 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

There is a notable
>difference in what I get from RAW files, and trying to get the
>.jpg files to come out well, is well, nearly a joke.

Can you please post something? I could use a joke.

In general, going from the D200 to the D7000, I found the D7000 was simply operating at a much higher echelon. DXOMark is informative on this as well. It's apples and oranges, and reds too.

Perhaps your SETUP MENU settings have gone awry?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Thu 05-Jan-12 09:22 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nope. I'm new to the D7000, and hardly a great photographer, but holy #### - no problems with colors here.

That said, I'm not shooting in the red rocks of UT. I wish I was, but that's another story.

Post samples?

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 05-Jan-12 09:34 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Check in the Shooting Menu > Picture Control.
If it is set to vivid change to neutral or standard.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

dgmosby Registered since 10th Nov 2011Thu 05-Jan-12 09:45 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Appreciate some of your answers, I usually shoot several hundred
photos a month, sometimes far more. I have well over 100,000 photos
with my D200, excellent color by the way. As far as the various settings available, the problem remains at the RAW level. Normally
I use DxO for all my photos for conversion, and even using DxO and its full capabilites I cannot get a proper red. The problem is somewhere in the sensor, I think, although Nikon did not change the sensor when they could have.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 05-Jan-12 10:04 PM
11294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Lowden, US

Welcome to Nikonians David!

As requested above it would help quite a bit if you could post a couple of example images with the EXIF data intact.

Our membership is pretty good at identifying problems when give enough information.

Also what are your default conversion settings in DxO?

We have a good forum dedicated to post processing. You may find help getting the color you want over there.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 05-Jan-12 10:10 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Have you tried other rendering engines? Until a publisher of the software adjusts their camera profiles, some are off for a while after a camera is introduced. Try taking on of the poor color NEF and convert to to JPG or other format in the free Nikon ViewNX and see if rendering with Nikon's own software helps.
I can see subtle differences being preferred with one camera over another but you seem to be talking about unacceptably bad color data which is indicating something wrong that is not based on the design of the sensor or camera since others are not reporting this problem.
A few sample shots would helps us get the a better idea of what you are seeing.
Remember that every software maker creates their own preferences for color and all other characteristics of the files because Nikon NEF file specification are not made public. You are seeing what the DxO developers liked, not what the camera intended. There are a number of de-mosaic algorithms that are the basis of the non-Nikon raw rendering engines and treats color data a little differently. A lot of members of this forum seem to think that Adobe's ACR, newest version gets pretty close.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 05-Jan-12 11:45 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Your picture control settings and a sample photo will likely resolve this problem pretty quick.

Jason

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Fri 06-Jan-12 12:24 AM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

"Anyone else having trouble with the color they get with the D7000?"

No. I have found the D7000 to be superior to my D200 in every aspect and have noticed nothing objectionable about the reds. I use the latest versions of either Aperture, ACR, or Nikon Capture for conversion.

Visit my gallery.

tcerul Basic MemberFri 06-Jan-12 03:00 PM
422 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Hardy, US

Overall, satisfied with color rendering of the D7000. Having said that I noticed some color variation when I used my flash, even with the flash white balance setting. Bought and used X-rite's Color Checker Passport and related software to build a camera color profile specifically for flash and noticed a difference that I was pleased with. Colors as expected with what looked like a slight "vibrance boost" in Lightroom. So far haven't bothered to build profiles for other lighting situations but will get around to that eventually. Was building camera color profiles essential, no, because the colors were not off that much but I do like the result with the profile.

Tom
From Beautiful Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia

dgmosby Registered since 10th Nov 2011Fri 06-Jan-12 03:31 PM
#11. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

It is becoming obvious to me I did not state the color problem very well. I have tried almost all of the suggested ideas well before addressing Nikonians. I have not used the NX software as every time
and in every computer of mine I have tried it inn, it created serious instability problems. By the way the SAME color problem
occurs with the .jpg pictures processed in the camera. I have tried, as I mentioned, DxO, also I have tried Photomatix and Photoshop, the
problem is still there and all of these programs do little to nothing to help. Thank you all for your efforts, I will return the camera.

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Fri 06-Jan-12 04:18 PM
183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Cleveland, US

>It is becoming obvious to me I did not state the color
>problem very well. I have tried almost all of the suggested
>ideas well before addressing Nikonians. I have not used the NX
>software as every time
>and in every computer of mine I have tried it inn, it created
>serious instability problems. By the way the SAME color
>problem
>occurs with the .jpg pictures processed in the camera. I have
>tried, as I mentioned, DxO, also I have tried Photomatix and
>Photoshop, the
>problem is still there and all of these programs do little to
>nothing to help. Thank you all for your efforts, I will return
>the camera.

Before you return the camera, why don't you post a few of your problem pics along with the exif data so the folks here can better help you?

Kitiara121 Registered since 11th Nov 2011Fri 06-Jan-12 08:11 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Dgmosby,

For what is is worth, my new D7000 tends to oversaturate the colors as well, especially the red tones. I am attributing that to my own errors both with my camera and with my post processing.

Forgive me if I am over stepping my bounds but at the basic membership level you are at, you can not upload any photos to this forum. What you CAN do however is upload to your own gallery here at Nikonians so that others can help you determine what is going on. Being new to this community, I don't know if you knew this or not.

Hopefully the issue is easily resolved.

I am here to learn.

Candy

Visit my Nikonians gallery One A Day Challenge.

dgmosby Registered since 10th Nov 2011Sat 07-Jan-12 02:22 AM
#17. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Subject is resolved, I returned the camera. This is the second D7000
I have tried, the first one would not reformat, I would have to delete each picture individually, and it also would take pictures in either RAW or jpg, not both. By the way, the colors from it were beautiful, so I do know the model is capable of getting the results I would like.
I prefer to shoot RAW & basic, then process the RAW initially via DxO, and finalize them in Photoshop.
Because of the, what I consider very poor support from Nikon, I am considering adifferent brand of manufacturer. All of this is disappointing because my D200 was and is a very remarkable device. It still works every well after, as I previously mentioned,
well over 100,000 pictures. It does look like it has done that. Now, I am in a quandary as to where to get it rebuilt as a backup camera, because I am very uncomfortable sending it to Nikon. And, yes, Nikon knows this, with seeming indifference.

icslowmo Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2012Sun 08-Jan-12 04:24 AM
495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 17

Phoenix, US

I'm sorry to here your troubles with the D7000. I to have not had any issues with colors from mine. Here is and example:

I was wondering if it could be your monitor your using is just not showing colors correctly??? Do your D200 pics still look ok???

dgmosby Registered since 10th Nov 2011Sun 08-Jan-12 11:16 AM
#19. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 18

US

D200 colors were and are still fine, the colors from the first D7000
(the one that would not format or take both RAW & .jpg) were fine, one of my friends with a D7000 has great colors. What is it I am not saying that will get the point across?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 08-Jan-12 11:59 AM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 19
Sun 08-Jan-12 12:01 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

If you want help determining where the problem may lie, we really do need to see some example images with EXIF data intact.

Since your first D7000 didn't display this same problem, either the current one is faulty in some way, the in-camera Picture Control settings are configured differently, or something has changed in your post-processing regime.

It is certainly possible to set up a normal D7000 to match or exceed the colour reproduction of a D200.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dgmosby Registered since 10th Nov 2011Sun 08-Jan-12 01:37 PM
#21. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 20

US

I appreciate all your offers of help, the question was to find if anyone ELSE was having the same problem. Again, the first D7000 did fine with the colors, so I know the camera, if operating properly does a good job. It appears that few if any were having the same problem. As I mentioned, I have returned the camera, and am rethinking the replacement for the D200. I have probably tried several times more different solutions than have been suggested, as I think mentioned. As for posting pictures, I have not gotten that far into the procedures Nikonians uses for posting, also in order to properly demonstrate the problem, it would take posting the RAW files.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 08-Jan-12 02:21 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 21

Paignton, GB

Since your original question has been addressed (basically, the answer is "no") and you have returned the camera, it seems this discussion is complete - so the thread will be closed.

Thanks to all those who contributed

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 06-Jan-12 08:28 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

Toronto, CA

I think it was Stan that suggested posting photos with EXIF be required for requests to analyze these types of problems.

It was a good idea then, remains one now.

These threads are like telling a group of mechanics that your new car engine doesn't work right and then not showing them the engine.

Jason

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 06-Jan-12 09:12 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri 06-Jan-12 09:13 PM by billD80

US

>I think it was Stan that suggested posting photos with EXIF
>be required for requests to analyze these types of problems.
>
>
>It was a good idea then, remains one now.
>

Agreed. How many threads like this start with a strongly negative claim and no attached image, as opposed to posting a JPEG with EXIF, and a polite question like, "Why did this happen?"

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 06-Jan-12 11:20 PM
11294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7000"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri 06-Jan-12 11:23 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

"It is becoming obvious to me I did not state the color problem very well."

A picture is worth a thousand words.

It is possible that your D700o is not functioning properly but it is also possible that this is an easily fixable problem. We will never know unless you provide some sample images with EXIF data.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15155 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.