Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1507
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hot Pixel" Previous topic | Next topic
elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 04-Nov-10 01:39 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hot Pixel"

US

I have been contemplating moving to the D7000. Now I know that all sensors are prone to hot-pixels and it is no big deal as they are easily cloned out.

But while comparing images over at imaging-resource comparometer I was surprised to see a hot-pixel in the D7000 sample images in the bottom right corner in a number of images.

Just wondering if anyone else saw it, and any thoughts you might have had if you did?

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hot Pixel
MstrBones Silver Member
04th Nov 2010
M_Jackson Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
elec164 Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
MstrBones Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
elec164 Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
MstrBones Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
M_Jackson Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
PROWLER69 Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
MstrBones Silver Member
11th Nov 2010
M_Jackson Silver Member
11th Nov 2010

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Thu 04-Nov-10 08:30 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

>if anyone else saw it,

I did.

Hot pixels really are in all these cameras - its no big deal.

I just hope people don't start a rash of lens cap tests/defective sensor threads! LOL

""

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 11-Nov-10 02:23 AM
676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 1

Jackson, US

I just ran my D7000 in video mode for the first time tonight. I have at least 20 hot pixels in a short clip of my golden retriever. I didn't have to put a lens cap on to see them. They are in the video and are very noticeable. I am viewing the video on a 30" Apple Cinema Display.

MJackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 11-Nov-10 11:19 AM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Mike, I don’t know if you saw it but on page 2 there was another post by someone with the same comment about the video.

And although my subject line says ‘Hot Pixel’ I think a better descriptor would have been a ‘Stuck Sensel’.

Picked up a D7000 from my local store Tuesday and discovered a green stuck sensel almost dead center in the image (and I also did not need the lens cap on to see it). Granted you do need to look at the image at about 30 to 50% view on a monitor to see it. I’m going to report it in to Nikon Service just to document that it exists in case there is a possibility that a bad batch of sensors snuck by QC. As I stated in my original post I know hot, stuck and dead pixels are the way of digital life, and it is easily dealt with in PP. but it sure is going to be a pain to clone out that hot pixel from every image.

I might also contact the store to see what their policy is on this. I know it is quite often within tolerance in consumer protection laws that a certain amount of stuck or hot pixels are tolerable. I know I could also send it in for them to map it out. But I feel a brand new $1200 body should arrive without the need to immediately send it away for 2 to 6 weeks for service. I wonder why pixel mapping isn’t included in the menu options; it was in my little P&S I bought some 9 years ago.

Pete

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Thu 11-Nov-10 12:11 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 2

AW

>I didn't have to put a lens cap on to see them.

I'd take the camera back. If you see this many in common operation, you either should return it for another or send it to Nikon to have them mapped out.

My earlier comment on hot pixels is when people do a lens cap test, which is a bogus method of finding hot pixels. A lens cap test is a non-linear light source. However, the camera sensor treats it like it is, so the continuous exposure just overdrives certain pixels and they show up as "hot".

Only worry about hot pixels at normal ISOs and shutter speeds, and since you are seeing that, you have good justification for getting it addressed.

""

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 11-Nov-10 01:38 PM
#5. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 11-Nov-10 01:48 PM by elec164

US

>>I didn't have to put a lens cap on to see them.
>
>I'd take the camera back. If you see this many in common
>operation, you either should return it for another or send it
>to Nikon to have them mapped out.
>

Well that's the rub (at least for me), in that there is only one. Here are examples at ISO 100. Forgive the motion blur as I wanted to use base ISO under natural light and was to lazy to get dressed to go outside.

I did a 100% crop so it would be centered in the image. It looks like a white speck on her fur.

Here is what it looks like pixel peeping.

Am I making more of this then it is and being unreasonable?

Again, with it being only one I am not sure what they will do. Most likely they will not exchange it (it was the only one they had at the time anyway). And to part with it to send to Nikon service after just having it two days is a killer.

Pete

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Thu 11-Nov-10 02:17 PM
#7. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 5

AW

Pete,

I have a D200 that has hot pixels at ISO 100. Most the time, they are not noticeable and I am only dealing with a 10 mpix camera.

At any rate, just about any camera you are going to buy will have some. My own two cents is to just clean them up in post if needed.

BTW, you probably will see more pixels like that at higher ISO, its normal. For yours, I'd probably move on.

The one situation I commented on where the poster said he could see them in a video sounded like a more severe problem, since the image is a 1080P and he is claiming to see 20 or more locations in the video with hot pixels. It also sounds like a weird symptom to me, because a hot pixel from an 16 meg sensor should just flat disappear when sized to 1080P.

""

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Thu 11-Nov-10 06:07 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I posted elsewhere about this - in my D7000, I see a very prominent blue blown pixel midway across in the lower third of the image, every video, different lenses, et al. Boxed it up and waiting for my dealer to get a new batch - no way am I going to live with that one.
I've heard that blown pixels can be remapped, but I have no clue how.
Best.
d

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 11-Nov-10 02:12 PM
676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 11-Nov-10 02:18 PM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

Thanks again for the replies. Last night, I boxed my camera back up and will be taking it back to my local camera store to at least see what to do next. My video was shot inside at 320 ISO of my dog resting on her bed. I called her name and she looked at me. Nothing extreme in the shot. When opened on the computer, the image is literally sprinkled with red, green, and purple dots I can see easily. I did a small pan in the shot and all the pixels panned along in the same spots on the screen. There is absolutely no way this video would be tolerable under anyone's envelope of "acceptable" hot spots.

I only picked this camera up in the afternoon on Monday, waited to charge the battery and made a few inside shots on Monday. I shot a lot of Tuesday and more on Wednesday, just trying to get some good still photos. Everyone was raving about the quality of their images and I was getting lousy results. Finally, yesterday afternoon, I started trying to make AF Fine Tune adjustments. On my 200-400vr, I have to move it all the way to minus 20 to get anything close to good images. On my 24-70 pro lens, I had to adjust it to minus 17 to finally see acceptable results. At that setting, my images started appearing as nice as I had hoped they would be at ISO 200 and ISO 1600. To be honest, I think I still need to move my adjustments on the 200-400 even farther past minus 20, which it won't do. I ran out of light before I considered checking on the appropriate AF adjustment for my 70-200 lens.

I hate to be someone complaining here, but I am fairly sure I have a camera that shouldn't have left the factory. As far as I can tell, only a couple of people on this forum have been complaining about hot pixels or dead pixels. Do a Google search for "D7000 hot pixel". There are plenty of forum posts with others dealing with this issue. I didn't do the search until AFTER I saw all these hot pixels on my screen, so I wasn't on a witch hunt. I have a Canon Vixia HD camcorder already, so I don't need the video portion of this camera to work especially, but these dots shouldn't be there on a two day old camera.

The attachment comes from stopping the playback of the video, doing a quick screen grab, and opening that image in Photoshop where I did a crop of the center of the image. I added the green circles on the dots I am certain are hot pixels. I did a slight curves adjustment to lighten the mid-tones for this image.

M. Jackson

>>Edited to include a smaller JPG.<<

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

PROWLER69 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 11-Nov-10 03:07 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 6

Wading River, US

I'm no expert but it looks like improper exposure noise to me.
Eddie

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank account".
Woody Allen

http://edmund-365imagesin2009.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/gallery/view_img.php?id=27273

http://www.pbase.com/tomcat68/root

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Thu 11-Nov-10 05:27 PM
#9. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 6

AW

What ISO was this shot at?

""

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 11-Nov-10 06:27 PM
#11. "RE: Hot Pixel"
In response to Reply # 9

Jackson, US

Hello again,
As specified my post, it was shot at ISO 320 under the lights of the office. I had it in CF mode with 21 focus points, shot on a tripod with a Nikon 24-70 lens. I had been shooting some stills in the office and I believe the aperture was f/3.5 with no EV compensation. The camera would have been in Aperture Priority. Since this is still so new to me, it is entirely possible one or more of the settings above contributed to the spots. I haven't seen any similar spots in any of my still images through any lighting conditions. I even took the camera out for some night photography and didn't see any similar spots in any of those still photos.

I only shot two videos at the time and both of them had the dots, but both were at roughly the same light and conditions. This might be under exposed noise, but if so, the noise moved at the same speed as the pan and stayed on in the same spots the entire video. I took the camera back to the camera store today, but won't know its fate until maybe Monday, otherwise I might shoot a few more videos in brighter light. This shot reminds me a lot of what people might take on a kid's birthday party. Not the best light, but typical.

Hope this info helps,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1507 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.