Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15066
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight" Previous topic | Next topic
stanflyfisher Registered since 30th Nov 2007Tue 03-Jan-12 08:29 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight"

US

Are there any down falls to using Auto-ISO with a speedlight? I shoot with the D7000.

Thanks for helping an amateur like me!!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight
greenwing Gold Member
03rd Jan 2012
stanflyfisher
03rd Jan 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
03rd Jan 2012
km6xz Moderator
03rd Jan 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
03rd Jan 2012
km6xz Moderator
04th Jan 2012
stanflyfisher
03rd Jan 2012

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Tue 03-Jan-12 08:54 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

The biggest factor, for me, is that the camera will choose ISO based on ambient light only, and so in low-light situations your ISO is likely to go up to the maximum allowed, despite the use of flash.

This is a change that came in with the D300s. Before that camera, Auto ISO would factor in the flash before raising the ISO speed.

Chris

stanflyfisher Registered since 30th Nov 2007Tue 03-Jan-12 11:24 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Chris!

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 03-Jan-12 10:00 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Are there any down falls to using Auto-ISO with a speedlight?
>I shoot with the D7000.
>
>Thanks for helping an amateur like me!!!

As Chris mentioned the newer cameras like the D7000 and D5100 will bump up the ISO to match ambient light conditions and ignore that a flash is being used.

You should test it out yourself. I did a test with the D5100 and found that when using the built-in flash the ISO would go up to the maximum setting in the Auto ISO menu. That was generally 3200. But when I put a CLS compatible flash on, like the SB600 the ISO would only go up to 800 and even lower as the ambient light became brighter. I don't have a D7000 or a SB700 but I guess it would act the same way.

None of my other DSLRs do that and that includes the D700, D300 and D3X. So as Chris mentioned it's a fairly recent feature (or lack of).

Len

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 03-Jan-12 10:10 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Auto ISO works a but differently with the D7000 than prior models.I never used Auto ISO with flash on my D90 because it would choose the highest ISO before calculating(the flash, not the camera calculates flash power) and running up to 3200, for example would make the shot too noisy when high ISO was not needed.
I've started using Auto ISO with the D7000 because it works so well, over a wider range of ambient light without flash.
When I use flash it is almost always in manual exposure mode, it is just easier I figure. But in experimenting I've found that the D7000 picks an ISO figure that is higher than I might prefer but much lower than the maximum ISO allowed. For example on recent series of shots the Auto ISO parameters were set as: Aperture priority, 1/125 minimum shutter speed, maximum ISO allowed was H-2 and nominal ISO was 200. The aperture was f/4.8. Flash set to TTL.The D90 would have selected a very high ISO but the D7000 selects a high ISO picks 1/125 SS and ISO400 in a number of test shots. Varying any value allowed the ISO to change but still be a moderate value.
With the D90 and others, if using the flash on TTL BL would produce a subject exposure that matched the ambient or back light. If the back light was dim, the subject would be equally underexposed. But the same SB900 set to TTL BL on the D7000 seems to perform differently. In any orientation of the flash head, regardless of background light, the subject is illuminated well. TTL BL seems to assume a different relationship between subject and back light if the back light is dim and falls back to TTL for the subject alone.
So on a recent event I tried TTL BL, bounce for everything, Auto ISO max 3200, Shutter speed minimum 1/125, and instead of manual like most of my flash work, set it to Aperture priority. The results, for high ambient light, low ambient, high background illumination to subject ratio, all turned out with the subject exposed very well. That limited creative use subject and background light but every image had the subject exposure good. It all seemed counter intuitive but it worked using Auto ISO and Balance fill flash with good consistency for no-thinking, set and forget shooting.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 03-Jan-12 11:20 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Stan,

It appears that your D90 with Auto Iso works the same way as my D5100 works with the built in flash. It works as you describe with your D7000 and the external SB900. Try using your D7000 with the built in flash and see how it reacts.

None of my cameras act to Auto Iso the way your D7000 and my D5100 act. When I set my D300, D700 or D3X to Auto Iso, the external flash seems to disable Auto Iso and the ISO setting I choose is what is used even if it is as low as ISO 100.

Hopefully Nikon will standardize the way flash and Auto ISO work. Actually it doesn't bother me since the only time I ever tried Auto ISO was two weeks ago to respond to a forum question. As soon as I finish this post I'll go back to my cameras and turn Auto ISO off.

Len

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 04-Jan-12 09:07 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

You are right Len, with the built-in flash the ISO in Auto sets a value based on ambient light, as if it is in traditional BL mode on the flash. This test was in A mode but also tried in Auto exposure mode(again, never have tried) and found that the ISO is adjusted to a value based on the calculated flash contribution. That is interesting, I've never used the built in flash except in Commander mode so I did not know what to expect before trying it a few minutes ago. If someone was interested they ought to try all the scene and exposure modes that they might ever use to see how they react with flash, external and built-in, to get a feel for how their shooting will be impacted by Auto ISO.
I never had much interest in Auto ISO on the D90 but I found the increased ISO range of acceptable noise has been quite useful for casual shooting with the D7000. For flash use, in which most of my shots are, I only used it this last event where about 1000 frames were taken and it worked fine. I will probably go back to M exposure mode however, and set my optimum ISO because I like to be in more control.
For those who want to think less about settings, shoe flash(SB900 and 700)in TTL BL mode and the camera in Auto ISO. Matrix metering, Aperture exposure mode with appropriate setting for desired DOF and a minimum shutter and max ISO they would be comfortable with set in Auto ISO's menu(I set the depth of field preview button to open the Auto ISO menu to quickly turn it on/off and set max ISO) and forget about settings. Setting those parameters in a User mode for flash use, they will probably find consistent exposure and not requiring any fiddling during shooting. Me, I like fiddling;>)
Whatever set up a new D7000 user prefers, the camera is complex enough to not be fully optimized until experimenting a lot with different modes to see how they react compared to what they are used to. I am still learning what works best in different scenes and lighting after 18,000 shots, although I was very pleased right out of the box. It just gets better. I am also finding that lens produce different results, the one that really impressed me was the cheapest, least used, the 18-105. My 17-55 2.8 also is a lot more impressive on the D7000 so it will probably get used more. The main go-to lenses, 70-200, 85 1.4, Sigma 50 1.4 and 10-20 3.5 gave no surprises and just work beautifully with the D7000. Since getting it in June, every day leaves me more impressed with the camera.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

stanflyfisher Registered since 30th Nov 2007Tue 03-Jan-12 11:23 PM
#5. "RE: Using auto-ISO with sb-700 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I appreciate it!
Stan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15066 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.