Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15052
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which Silicone Case" Previous topic | Next topic
seanadams Registered since 11th Dec 2011Tue 03-Jan-12 09:36 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Silicone Case"

GB

Hello out there.....

I have a new D7000 and want to try to keep it in good order and was thinking about a silicone case. I have looked at Delkin and Walimex and there are probably many others. Do any of you have and advice as to which brand to go for? It's an expensive piece of kit so I'm not looking to save money by going for the cheapest case, I want the best one for the job.

Regards,

Sean Adams.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Tue 03-Jan-12 02:30 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which Silicone Case"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I would try one out before you buy one if possible.

I tried a Delkin one on my d90 and found the silicon "grip" not very grippy at all (i.e somewhat slippery). The lack of proper grip may impact the quality of your photos.

The d7000 is pretty sturdy, other than protecting the rear LCD the body itself should take normal wear and tear well.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

seanadams Registered since 11th Dec 2011Tue 03-Jan-12 02:45 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which Silicone Case"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks Jason. I have been reading a bit about the 'not very grippy' and some people go so far as to say don't pick it up without the neck-strap on! You have confirmed what I have been thinking about the Delkin though so thanks. It's always best to hear from someone who has first hand experience of a product.

I have just purchased a glass screen protector for both LCD's so I should be okay.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Cheers,

Sean.

OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Wed 04-Jan-12 12:47 AM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which Silicone Case"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

I am using the Delkin.

I took a nasty fall, snapped the 18-105 off the lens, no damage to the Camera.

It is smooth to hold but I use a Matin grip-20 to keep it steady.

Andy

seanadams Registered since 11th Dec 2011Wed 04-Jan-12 05:51 AM
#4. "RE: Which Silicone Case"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Sounds like quite a lucky escape. Isn't it funny how just when you think you have made your mind up about an issue something comes along to make you rethink. This is the really good thing about the Nikonians. I'm now going to take a look at the grip.

Thanks Andy.

Sean.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #15052 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.