Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1498
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?" Previous topic | Next topic
wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Thu 04-Nov-10 01:52 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?"

Warsaw, US

I took this photo last evening and I'm puzzled why it's so overexposed. I actually took 8 photos of this with different apertures and they all look like this. This was in a low light shaded area, so I cranked up the ISO to 2500. I was using my 300mm f4 lens. Camera settings were A priority, matrix metering, f6.3, 1/320, -.3 EV, Landscape picture mode, WB for direct sunlight, captured in RAW 14-bit.
I did change the WB in CNX2 from 5200k to about 6000k (can't remember exactly) and reduced the exposure about -.9, and boosted the color. The more colorful photo is the result.
Could the WB setting cause this or did the camera just not meter the scene properly? BTW this is not the first time I have experienced this with this new camera.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?
JosephK Silver Member
04th Nov 2010
wwt67 Silver Member
04th Nov 2010
JosephK Silver Member
04th Nov 2010
pdekman Gold Member
04th Nov 2010
kuzzy Silver Member
04th Nov 2010
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
05th Nov 2010
DrBrett Silver Member
05th Nov 2010

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 04-Nov-10 02:59 AM
4160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

>I took this photo last evening and I'm puzzled why it's so
>overexposed. I actually took 8 photos of this with different
>apertures and they all look like this.

Assuming you do not have bracketing turned on by mistake, I would check the lens to see if the aperture blades are sticking open.

Try a different lens to see if it is a problem with the camera or the lens.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Thu 04-Nov-10 03:35 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?"
In response to Reply # 1

Warsaw, US

I only kept 2 photos and the EXIF data shows one at f6.3, 1/320, the other at f10, 1/160. Does the camera record what it thinks the exposure should have been or what it actually did. In other words, if the blades did stick open, would the camera detect the possibly larger aperture and record it in the EXIF data or only record what it thought the exposure should be.
Interesting thought, I'll check the lens.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 04-Nov-10 05:18 PM
4160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

My guess is that the EXIF data would contain what the camera wanted, not what the lens really did, assuming a malfunctioning lens.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Thu 04-Nov-10 05:01 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Mine seems to be more aggressive at exposing primary subjects a bit brighter than my D200 did. Never at the expense of clipping the subject, but a featureless sky or background window will be sacrificed more readily if the rest of the frame is in low light.

I need to validate I have matrix metering set vs. center/spot on those shots, but believe I do. Will watch more closely for these situations and the camera's response.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Thu 04-Nov-10 09:50 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

For what it is worth my D70 (no I did not forget the zeros) had trouble exposing a similarly colored rose under what I would call the same conditions based on the info you provided. I took the shots about a month ago and got the same result on 8 of 10, 2 of the shots were exposed better. I believe that this has happened quite often when photographing red flowers. I wonder if it has something to do with the color. It also tends to make the reds more blue. If I was home I would post my results for you to compare. I thought, at first, that maybe something was beginning to fail in my camera but have since not seen any problems.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 05-Nov-10 03:48 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 05-Nov-10 04:12 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, GB

Looks rather like the result of spot metering off the bloom. If you really did matrix meter it, that's a bad result.

Editing to add:
Len Shepherd linked this review which suggests some metering funnies in matrix mode. Perhaps there will be a firmware update in the not-so-distant future if a few more people report similar problems.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

DrBrett Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2006Fri 05-Nov-10 03:07 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Anyone experience this behavior with their D7K?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

Just got my D7000 two days ago and I haven't had much time to play with it, but subjectively I have already noticed a tendency towards overexposure, and have -.7 exposure dialed in. I'm still working through the manual though.

Brett

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1498 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.