Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1452
View in linear mode

Subject: "Upgrade for my D80" Previous topic | Next topic
srosengard Basic MemberTue 02-Nov-10 01:47 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Upgrade for my D80"

US

I am interested in upgrading my D80, My question is should I purchase a D300s or the new D7000. Which would be the better upgrade, I lean towards the 7000, but want others opinion.

Thanks
Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Upgrade for my D80
intrepidnz
02nd Nov 2010
Zevi Silver Member
02nd Nov 2010
waldo647 Silver Member
06th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
02nd Nov 2010
dicko
05th Nov 2010
MEMcD Moderator
05th Nov 2010
dicko
06th Nov 2010
srosengard
06th Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator
06th Nov 2010
dicko
12th Nov 2010
helton
12th Nov 2010
Kale49 Silver Member
12th Nov 2010
dicko
13th Nov 2010

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Tue 02-Nov-10 01:50 AM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

D7000, no question!

Newer technology and there will be a replacment for the D300s sometime next year.

Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Tue 02-Nov-10 11:55 AM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Steve,

Being in the same position as you, I was also pondering that issue. Look at comments made in this thread. They may be helpful.

Cheers,
Zevi.

waldo647 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Sat 06-Nov-10 09:20 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 2

SF Bay Area, US

>Steve,
>
>Being in the same position as you, I was also pondering that
>issue. Look at comments made in
>this
>thread>. They may be helpful.
>
>Cheers,
>Zevi.
>
Steve & Zevi,

Thanks so much for this thread and xref to the other thread! I too am upgrading from a D80. This info is timely and totally helpful. Best info I've seen in any forum. Nikonians rock!

- Chris

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 02-Nov-10 01:51 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

What is your D80 not doing that you would like it to?
Is there a specific weakness or type of subject that is not possible now? The answer to those questions would point you in the correct direction.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

dicko Registered since 07th Oct 2007Fri 05-Nov-10 06:22 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 0

nottingham, GB

Hi,
I am after some advice. I have a D80 at the moment which has been back to Nikon 3 times in the last three months. There seems to be a problem with exposure, it would take one shot underexposed then without changing anything at all, it would overexpose.
Nikon have said they can't do any more with it, so I am now thinking of getting a new body, but my dilemma is which one? D90, D300s , D7000? my thoughts are the D300s as it shoots more frames per second, which would help with motor sport, but as the D7000 will shoot 6 frames per second,and is newer technology does that make up for loosing a few frames per second
Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Anthony

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 05-Nov-10 07:04 PM
25013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Steve,

It boils down to how much you are willing to spend and the time frame you have in mind. If you have time and a more robust budget, the D300's replacement gets closer every day.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dicko Registered since 07th Oct 2007Sat 06-Nov-10 06:51 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 5

nottingham, GB

Thanks I have heard that there is a d400 going to be released but not sure when or the price. The budget is always going to be a problem with the wife , will try to get into a shop and have a play with the d7000 to see if this helps me decide
Thanks
Anthon

srosengard Basic MemberSat 06-Nov-10 11:21 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks I have heard that the D400 is going to be released. I also am waiting to play with the D7000, but very very few ships have them in yet. I would imagine that the D400 will probably be more $$$$

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 06-Nov-10 01:17 PM
8149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

The D200 and D300 pricing would suggest a D400 will be priced around $1799-1899. That's purely hypothetical.

I have a D7000 on order for my wife to replace her D300. She's looking for something a little smaller and lighter. Quality won't be an issue. She has published images from her D300 and her DX lenses. She also uses video on her Coolpix, so I expect the video capability will be used.

I will probably use her D7000 occasionally when I need a smaller camera. It will be mainly a backup.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

dicko Registered since 07th Oct 2007Fri 12-Nov-10 09:48 AM
#10. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 8

nottingham, GB

I still have to decide which way to go with this upgrade.I have considered buying a second hand D200 and using the other money on better lenses , I now have interest in landscapes whilst i am out walking ,i have a nikon 12-24mm f4 which i use ,but have thought off buying the 28-300mm vr lens, as this would give me quite a wide range with out removing the lens ,and saves carrying all my stuff on long walks ,holidays etc, The D200 in the uk go for about £300 - £400 USED D300 is about £700 ANY MORE ADVISE WOULD BE GREAT
thanks Anthony

helton Registered since 30th Jul 2007Fri 12-Nov-10 11:01 AM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri 12-Nov-10 11:02 AM by helton

São Paulo, BR

I would forget about the D200 or D300 and go straight to the D7000, unless you want a FX system, in this case the D700 is the answer.

The D7000 is better the the 200 and the 300 and much, much better than the D80 (wich I have, and mine also has the erratic MM).

So the real question is wich system will you choose ? DX or FX ? If DX go with the D7000, if FX go with the D700.

Do you have DX lenses ? You know that the DX lenses don´t work fully on a FX camera, don´t you ?

I have a D80 and a couple of DX lenses, as I don´t want the bulk, weight and price of a FX system, I´ll sell my D80 and buy a D7000 as soon it will be available.

Cheers,

Helton

Kale49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 12-Nov-10 06:19 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 13-Nov-10 08:25 AM by Kale49

Espoo, FI

Hi All,

I had a D80 and before that a D50. My upgrading target was a D300s before the D7000 launch. Now I am a D7000 owner (a proud one). I got mine for a week ago. Hard decision! D300s still is a real "outdoor tool".

I think I am on the level of "advanced amateur" or so. My favorites are nature, landscapes and macro. In my bag I have Nikon 18-200 VR, Nikon 50/1,8, Tamron 90 mm/2,8 macro and a cheap telezoom Sigma 135-400 mm/4,0-5,6. A sturdy tripod and a Manfrotto monopod are in active use when walking around.

D7000 means me real upgrading: 3 fps vs. 6 fps.; ISO 100-1600/3200 vs. 100-6400/25600; 11 AF-points vs. 39 + 9 cross lines; 1/4000 s vs. 1/8000 s; 2,5"/230 000 TFT vs. 3"/921 000 TFT; Advanced metering system; full HD video &c.

I had a MB-D80 grip in my D80 and I know my D7000 is going to have one, too (when the price is more affordable).

FX is not an alternative for me - yet;-)

Here in Finland the price of D7000 body is some 10 % cheaper than D300s´s.

Finally I have to say that it was a feeling more than ratio. Just like years ago when a chose between Canon and Nikon for a favour of Nikon.

Kale S
Espoo, Finland

P.S. Still I must say that both D50 and D80 were absolutely good bodies at their prime time and specially to me as a "practicant".

dicko Registered since 07th Oct 2007Sat 13-Nov-10 01:31 PM
#13. "RE: Upgrade for my D80"
In response to Reply # 12

nottingham, GB

Thanks for all the help tried to get a look at and a play with the d7000 but no was has any stock available,I will just have to wait not sure how long this will be
Anthony

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1452 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.