Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1445
View in linear mode

Subject: "focusing question" Previous topic | Next topic
dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Mon 01-Nov-10 11:24 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"focusing question"
Mon 01-Nov-10 11:26 PM by dhmiller

US

I just picked up a D7000 today. I'm using a 70-300 VR II with it. I have it set to Auto focus mode, full time servo, and M/A on the lens (of course). I set the focus point before I start to record video, but once I begin recording, nothing that is not on the same plane as the original focal point stays in focus - there doesn;t appear to be any attempt to adjust or indeed, "auto" focus at all. For example, I am focusing initially on a painting about 10 feet away, then moving slowly to a painting about five feet away. Unless I depress the shitter button again, as I would normally do to fix a focus initially, the second painting is and stays completely out of focus even after a few seconds.

Definetly a new DSLR video user (but not so for camcorder)... but I'd love to get some suggestions or tips on this. And I assume I should use IS on the lens? Tried it both ways but didn;t examine the resulting files carefully, as the focus thing is a showstopper.
Thanks much.
D

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: focusing question
Robman3
02nd Nov 2010
kuzzy Silver Member
02nd Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
02nd Nov 2010
Robman3
02nd Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
02nd Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
03rd Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
03rd Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
08th Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
08th Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
08th Nov 2010

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Tue 02-Nov-10 01:05 AM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

There are others who have been using the video capture, does anyone have issues with a constant focus?

Curious before I dive in a pair of these machines.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Tue 02-Nov-10 01:21 AM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Hello D, Congrats on your new camera- Go to page 50 of the manual for info on focus settings while taking movies.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Tue 02-Nov-10 01:25 AM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 02-Nov-10 01:25 AM by dhmiller

US

Thanks Marc. I've read it word for word, but am not getting focusing to update when I pan/move the camera. Problem is, not really sure what to expect (having only used camcorders in the past)
There is no update whatsoever of focus unless I press the shutter half way. Is that the expected behavior? Tried to shoot a short video with my finger on the shutter the entire time, but that didn;t work either.
Thanks for any insights.
Best
Dennis

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Tue 02-Nov-10 05:23 AM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Read page 211 as well, at: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D7000_ENnoprint.pdf

There is a reboot function as well, that trick I had to engage with my D3S on the first outing.

Last suggestion, are the lens contacts in need of a light cleaning?

IF you have done all of the above, then a call to tech support is in order.

Good luck,

Rob

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 02-Nov-10 05:45 AM
3135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 03-Nov-10 12:01 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

First thing I did was change the setting for the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-ON.
Second, I changed Autofocus/Live view/movie AF to constant.
My live view now is now self AutoFocusing and Tracks a moving object when on a Tripod.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 03-Nov-10 04:31 AM
4179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

You have to set AF-F mode in A8 don't you? Set A8 Autofocus mode to AF-F and for the second setting in A8 (called AF-area mode) I selected Subject-Tracking-AF (but I might also try face priority).

Looking forward to this

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Wed 03-Nov-10 10:38 AM
#7. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks for the info. I am trying to find settings for different types of scenarios, for example, ones that will allow me to pan the camera across a landscape and retain focus - probably a difficult task. I tried this with the D7000 and a 70 - 300 (newest) lens and even with a very slow pan of my neighborhood, the lens did a lot of searching and the green rectangle in the viewfinder was hard to maintain. I wonder if that is as good as it will get (my old Sony CX 520 camcorder could do this effortlessly... what are the main differences?)

I assume subject tracking would be used for a different scenario.

I wonder if (and when) Nikonians establishes a Video group, we could have a sticky thread that lays out all the best settings for a variety of scenes. Anyone want to start the process?
Best,
Dennis

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 08-Nov-10 12:48 AM
3135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

I used the D7000 with an AF-S Nikkor 28-70 lens today to videograph our church service.
I used a tripod, AF-F and face priority.
The first part went very well.
I could watch the little square track the nearest face without having to move the camera.

Then latter on, the Pastor started getting really animated.
He walked back and forth and toward and away.
This was handled very well until he also started waving his arms around.
The lens AF motor started making noise and the camera could no longer lock on.
Perhaps the motion was too much?
Or, was it the low/bad light?
The Auto ISO was at the max 6400.
The 1280x720 picture quality was very good.

I used a stereo boom mic because the Tascam created too much noise.
You cannot turn of the in camera amp.

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Mon 08-Nov-10 01:12 AM
#9. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Interesting. Well yet again, this shows that a $500 camcorder has certain abilities that we aren;t seeing in the DSLR. I'm going to wait another few weeks then make the call on whether to buy a camcorder for an upcoming photo trip I'm taking. Was hoping the D7000 would be both a good back up body to my D700 plus fill my "snapshot" video needs.. and maybe it will, but probably not in all cases.
You actually shot the vide at 6400 and it looked okay?? That's a surprise.
Dennis

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 08-Nov-10 02:31 AM
#10. "RE: focusing question"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 08-Nov-10 02:38 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>Interesting.
>You actually shot the video at 6400 and it looked okay??
That's a surprise.
>Dennis

The D7000 was set for Auto ISO 6400 max.
Because of the uneven lighting the monitor showed 4000-6400 most of the time.
The frames are very slightly overexposed, but look very good with little grain showing when played back from the original MOV files on my 28" computer monitor.

I will try to lift a few frames to display.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1445 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.