Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1431
View in linear mode

Subject: "Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!" Previous topic | Next topic
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberMon 01-Nov-10 06:03 PM
5925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"

Knoxville, US

I'm getting ready to write Mastering the Nikon D7000—due out spring 2011. Had to have a camera, of course.

I called up my favorite camera house, Berger Brothers, and got my D7000 kit. I highly recommend Berger Brothers. Brad Berger has always treated me well, delivers products in a reliable way, and gives me a good price.

I ordered very early and just got my camera. I absolutely love this D7000. It is very much a mini-D300S. Great quality in all respects.

I bought my D300S from Brad Berger last year. As far as I'm concerned, he's my "dealer." I understand that Berger Brothers is a supporter of Nikonians.org. If you have a hankering for some hot, new Nikon equipment, why not call Brad!

Digital Darrell

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!
dankeny Gold Member
01st Nov 2010
socrreferee Silver Member
02nd Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
03rd Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
03rd Nov 2010
DigitalDarrell Team Member
03rd Nov 2010
DVDMike Silver Member
03rd Nov 2010
deviantspeed
03rd Nov 2010
jpFoto
03rd Nov 2010
mrhollender
04th Nov 2010
jpFoto
04th Nov 2010

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Mon 01-Nov-10 07:02 PM
1493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 0

Roland, US

Very glad to hear you are writing the D7000 book. You do such an excellent job. You helped me with previous AF systems, and I'm looking forward to your help on this one. The viewfinder system is pretty much business as usual, but the live view/movie system is all new to me.

David

socrreferee Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006Tue 02-Nov-10 05:33 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Looking forward to you book. If it's as good as the others, then it's worth the wait.

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Wed 03-Nov-10 01:27 AM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hope you will provide <extensive> coverage on video, especially regarding auto-focus issues (there are many).
Good luck with the book.
Dennis

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 03-Nov-10 03:29 AM
4179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Great to hear Darrel.

I also got my camera today, just finished initial programming and taken the first few test photos.

Sounds like your new and improved D300S book is a doozy too!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberWed 03-Nov-10 01:55 PM
5925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I'm impressed with the power of the D7000's video modes. The AF-F mode (full-time video autofocus) seems to work very well. It has face detection that grabs a face and hangs on for dear life, even if the person is moving around (plus there are additional AF modes besides face detection).

You can force autofocus by moving the AF point square anywhere on the monitor and pressing the shutter release button down half way, without exiting video mode.

The autofocus makes some noise, although it seems quieter than my D300S. If you are serious about video, you'll still need to use an external stereo mic. The D7000 provides a stereo plug, unlike the D90 or D5000.

One thing I like is that the D7000 doesn't seem as prone to the "jelly wobbles" (CMOS rolling shutter) as most cameras. If anything it's even better than the D300S in that respect.

You can bet that I'll cover the Live View and Video modes in exquisite detail in my book. The video on the D7000 seems mature to me. I am now ready to start shooting some video for stock sales. This cool camera is the cat's meow!

By the way, I forgot to link to Berger-bros.com's website. Here it is: http://bit.ly/c1EDoi. Their phone number is: 800-542-8811

Give Brad Berger a call and let him set you up with a D7000. He got mine to me as quickly as possible, and I appreciate the good service.

Digital Darrell

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Wed 03-Nov-10 04:05 PM
2197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 5

Metro Atlanta, US

Darrell, great news about the video focusing and rolling shutter observations. Keep us posted.

deviantspeed Registered since 31st Oct 2010Wed 03-Nov-10 04:35 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I'll agree with what Darrell is saying about video. Having AF is great for video. Be sure to read page 52 to understand how the different focus modes have different results.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 03-Nov-10 08:47 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 03-Nov-10 08:53 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi Darrell

I have your "Mastering the Nikon D700" book and have enjoyed it very much.

Can I ask you what you paid Berger Brothers for your D7000? I might also be interested in the camera if their price is as good as you say, and I would also purchase your book, of course.

jP

mrhollender Registered since 13th Aug 2010Thu 04-Nov-10 03:09 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Here is a link to the D7000 kit with lens:
http://www.berger-bros.com/page/BBCVD/PROD/NIK25474

Here is a link to the D7000 Body only:
http://www.berger-bros.com/page/BBCVD/PROD/NIK25468

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 04-Nov-10 06:38 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Darrell gets his D7000 ... Yay!"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 05-Nov-10 12:55 AM by jpFoto

US

Thanks, but I wanted to get Darrell's price.

>I called up my favorite camera house, Berger Brothers, and got my D7000 kit. I highly recommend Berger Brothers. Brad Berger has always treated me well, delivers products in a reliable way, and gives me a good price.

I think that with this much free advertising, that we should all get Darrell's price.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1431 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.