Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #14254
View in linear mode

Subject: "Should my buffer be full?" Previous topic | Next topic
Uscbryan Registered since 01st Jun 2010Sun 11-Dec-11 10:03 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Should my buffer be full?"
Sun 11-Dec-11 10:05 PM by Uscbryan

Irvine, US

I was doing star trails in the mountains this weekend. I used the shutter release remote and locked the button down. Set the exposure for 30 seconds in RAW 14 bit. Set the camera continuous low so it would just keep taking 30sec exposures using the Sandisk extreme pro. I went to check on it about an hour later and it had stopped after taking about 105 shots and it said (r00) which I figure means buffer Is full. Doesn't make sense to me though because if the buffer was going to fill it should have done it long before shot 105 and 30 second exposure seems like it is plenty of time to keep up.. Was the buffer full or could it have been something else that stopped it? I had 2 8 gig cards in there so I wasn't close to being full. Thanks

Oh, and a second quick question. How cold can it be outside before I take a chance of damaging my camera if I leave it out too long? It was probably 30 degrees or so.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7158/6490840791_01b268a67c_b.jpg
Arrowhead Star Trail1 by Uscbryan, on Flickr

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SaurianFire Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sun 11-Dec-11 11:35 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Should my buffer be full?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Off the top of my head the default for maximum continuous release is 100 images. This is option D7. But you got 105 images???

Don't know anything about cold I live in the sub-tropics.

Respectfully,
Frank

Uscbryan Registered since 01st Jun 2010Sun 11-Dec-11 11:55 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Should my buffer be full?"
In response to Reply # 1

Irvine, US

Aww maybe that is it, maybe it was 100 and I had a few test shots on there I forgot about. Next time I will just use the interval function I guess. Maybe that will work better.

Thank you both

>Off the top of my head the default for maximum continuous
>release is 100 images. This is option D7. But you got 105
>images???
>
>Don't know anything about cold I live in the sub-tropics.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 11-Dec-11 11:36 PM
1392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Should my buffer be full?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 11-Dec-11 11:38 PM by four eighty sparky

US

What class of card?

Using NR can also bog the camera down.

FWIW, I just fired off enough frames on my D7k to fill the buffer, then switched to M to take a 30 sec. shot. I started out with a buffer reading of r09. When then buffer released, it was a good 15-20 seconds into the 30-second shot. Once the 30-second shot released, I had r06, so the system must use resources to take photos that the buffer uses.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #14254 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.