Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1412
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 for Birds in flight" Previous topic | Next topic
phfcpa Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2007Mon 01-Nov-10 09:33 AM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 for Birds in flight"

Boca Raton, US

Does anyone have an opinion for BIF, I currently use a D700 and D300s, and do not have any problems with BIF. Any opinions or tests yet for those who own the D7000 with their results?
Thanks in advance

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 for Birds in flight
dankeny Gold Member
01st Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
03rd Nov 2010
lifewings Silver Member
05th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
07th Nov 2010
jmiguez Silver Member
20th Nov 2010
lifewings Silver Member
07th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2010
lifewings Silver Member
08th Nov 2010
pdekman Gold Member
08th Nov 2010
TomCurious
07th Nov 2010
tommiejeep Silver Member
08th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Nov 2010
TomCurious
14th Nov 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
15th Nov 2010
JPJ Silver Member
15th Nov 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
16th Nov 2010
SteveH52
19th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
19th Nov 2010
SteveH52
24th Nov 2010
JPJ Silver Member
15th Nov 2010
DsrtVW Gold Member
17th Nov 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
20th Nov 2010
lifewings Silver Member
20th Nov 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
21st Nov 2010

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Mon 01-Nov-10 07:08 PM
1493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 0

Roland, US

So far I have only shot ducks coming in fairly low to my house. That's as easy a bif target as you are gonna get, but compared to D700, advantage D7000, if for no other reason, pixel count on the bird.

And word count in that sentence.

David

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 03-Nov-10 04:07 AM
4179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

I will be testing this on the weekend with my 500VR. Is a vital question for me too for my planned usage for the D7000 and I have the same other bodies as you except D300 not 's'.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

lifewings Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2008Fri 05-Nov-10 03:13 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 2

Santa Fe, US

Yes ... please post your results. I just found a D7K body ... will arrive this coming week, just before going down to the Bosque. Got it to replace my D50 as a second body to my D300, but am now wondering if the D300 should be the second body. Primary lens used would be the 500mm.

Any experiential thoughts on this would be welcome. Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 07-Nov-10 04:32 AM
4179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 3

Alberta, CA

I really only had an hour out and about, so I didn't accomplish much. So far seems decent for ISO 1250 in medium dull light. These are all crops at 1/1600 and wide open with 500VR and TC14E (f5.6). The mallards are an especially heavy crop, I didn't get many pixels on them so don't judge too much from that shot.

I show one full frame on the goose at the end so you can see how much I cropped. No noise reduction but sharpened and post-processed. On the last goose I boosted exposure 2/3 of a stop so for ISO 1250 it might even represent something like ISO 1800. We will see how things go, these are literally my first images with the cam so I'm hoping to do a little better.

I ran out of time today, I plan to get a serious day's shooting done on Remembrance Day (Nov 11).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 07-Nov-10 05:15 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

I meant to add some subjective impressions:

- AF initial acquisition seemed very snappy, which was a pleasant surprise. It certainly did not seem any slower than my D300 to acquire the target and to tell the truth it felt faster than the D300. Maybe it felt faster because I did not have too high expectations and they were exceeded. We'll see; I have shot too few images to say this authoritatively.

- tracking seems more sure-footed than my D300. There's two elements to this. I have some 12-shot sequences of distant swans and also ducks where 10 of 12 are perfectly fine (I also have some sequences where I blew it too ). The other element is tracking a bird in front of a busy background - again subjective and after very little use - I have this uncanny feeling using 9-point dynamic that the AF tracks much better without grabbing on the background. And this was on some very distant subjects where my D300 I think has a greater tendency to grab on the background. I've got Delay set to Short, just like on my D300. Very subjective conclusion, don't take too much stock in this yet.

- Is it possible the AF points are smaller, therefore less tendency to grab on the background?

- ISO1250 was a little noisier than I hoped but conditions were dull. I am keen to see this in a variety of lighting.

- regardless AF does not seem worse than my D300 and my overall impression is it is better.

- I notice the smaller buffer and slower frame-rate (6 vs. 8). I have to be more disciplined about mashing down the shutter and holding it there. Not entirely a bad thing.

- I'm reviewing the day's shooting as I write this, 250 images, and am getting more excited as I go through them. I have this crazy feeling that all I had to do was wave the lens (on gimbal today) in the general direction of the birds and it was nailing initial acquisition and then pretty much every image in the sequences. I do not feel my D300 does this.

- Because a lot of my sequences today were fairly distant, maybe if the birds were closer the AF might have had a tougher time keeping up.

- About two weeks ago on dpreview there was a thread by an experienced Eagle shooter that normally shoots a D3/400 2.8 and he returned his D7000 because it was demonstrably (he showed samples) not nailing focus like his D3. I am very relieved to report I am seeing NOTHING like that.

- Really on the AF side of this camera, if I can repeat what I did today with some closer targets, I will be very happy with the D7000. I can tell you I am surprised and pleased.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 07-Nov-10 10:36 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Thanks for the informative report Steve.
Maybe the higher color resolution of the new 2k RGB metering sensor has some real benefit for those using the tracking modes.

After reading the posts of that eagle shooter and some of the misinformed claims he made I would not exactly classify him a skilled photographer, just one with more money than sense, with a bad attitude.
Some wondered aloud how he could take 275 shots and not have one successful image even if luck alone was guiding him. His one hour of trying it before taking it back to the store does not qualify as an informed report. DPR is full of such malcontents who switch weekly, never learning how to use what they bought last. The often bemoaned claims of beginner D7000 buyers of soft images cause a lot of them to switch after a few days to Sony NEX. Now they are complaining about those.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sat 20-Nov-10 01:03 PM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 6

Lafayette, US

>Thanks for the informative report Steve.
>Maybe the higher color resolution of the new 2k RGB metering
>sensor has some real benefit for those using the tracking
>modes.
>
>After reading the posts of that eagle shooter and some of the
>misinformed claims he made I would not exactly classify him a
>skilled photographer, just one with more money than sense,
>with a bad attitude.
>Some wondered aloud how he could take 275 shots and not have
>one successful image even if luck alone was guiding him. His
>one hour of trying it before taking it back to the store does
>not qualify as an informed report. DPR is full of such
>malcontents who switch weekly, never learning how to use what
>they bought last. The often bemoaned claims of beginner D7000
>buyers of soft images cause a lot of them to switch after a
>few days to Sony NEX. Now they are complaining about those.
>
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Stan, It is people like you and posts like this one, which make me glad I found Nikonians.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

lifewings Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2008Sun 07-Nov-10 02:43 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 5

Santa Fe, US

Thanks Steve ... very helpful.

It will be interesting to see how the camera performs on closer BIF ... please keep us posted.

One question ... how well did the battery perform? Were you shooting in cold weather? Were you using flash? Since the new batteries are not yet available, that is a concern of mine, as I'll be down at the Bosque shooting under cold conditions for a couple of hours (at least) at a time.

With the D300 I use the battery grip, which of course gives me enough extra battery power that I am not that concerned.I'd like to try out the D7000 (assuming it arrives on Friday) this coming weekend, but would hate to be caught short power-wise.

Thanks.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 07-Nov-10 04:17 PM
#8. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 07-Nov-10 04:59 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

The temperature was 7 celsius / 45 fahrenheit. Picture meter shows 312 pictures and I shot a couple very short video clips and battery is showing 74%. Everything was RAW only. I only charged the battery once, back on Tuesday (Nov 2) when I received the camera.

No flash was used.

Seems generally promising and for a few hours at a time I suspect will not be a problem. But if you have a vehicle I would suggest bringing a power inverter along too, that way you could charge while moving from one location to another (if absolutely necessary)

I plan to shoot this camera at -30C / -22F this winter, so I am torn about what to do for spare batteries (or get the grip) the same reasons you mention above.

Edited to add: Hope your camera comes by Friday. I would love to get down to Bosque some year! In October I went to Last Mountain Lake, Saskatchewan (sort of a northern Bosque del Apache) and me and my buddy were instantly hooked. I have a couple thousand Sandhill Crane and Snow Goose yet to process.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

lifewings Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2008Mon 08-Nov-10 01:42 AM
#11. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 8

Santa Fe, US

Thanks again Steve ... if my camera does show up in time, I think I'll try it as my primary just to test drive it, unless it is extraordinarily cold. Battery usage sounds fairly decent, as I imagine the video shots take a bunch of juice.

Your mention of a couple of thousand Sandhill Crane & Snow Goose photos left to process reminds me that if I wind up missing a couple of shots because of low battery,its not the end of the world! I just started looking at last year's shots a couple of weeks ago ...!

Anyway, I'll be back down at the Bosque for 9 days the end of the month/first week of December, so I'll have plenty of time to put it through its paces, just in case it doesn't arrive by Friday. Those cranes are certainly addictive!

Good suggestion about the inverter ... I do have one, but the loop at the Bosque isn't quite long enough to re-charge a battery.

Hope you can make it down some time.

Thanks,Beverly

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Mon 08-Nov-10 02:37 AM
1027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 7

Swisher, US

As for battery performance, I'm very impressed thus far. From my initial charge, I've gone through all the menus and setups, etc. and have shot over 900 frames. The battery meter still shows 51% remaining.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Sun 07-Nov-10 07:06 PM
2318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 5

Bay Area, US

Thanks for sharing this, Steve! If indeed the AF performs on a similar (let alone better) level as the D300, it would be very good news. In that case, I would guess that Nikon will have something even better in store for next year's models. But keep us posted how it works out for your BIF shooting.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Mon 08-Nov-10 01:39 AM
4390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 4

Goa, IN

Steve, nice shots. I am also interested in how the AF works on smaller bif close. I shot a lot of 'quickdraw' birds at reasonably close range. Many thank for posting these.
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 14-Nov-10 02:59 PM
#13. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 10

Alberta, CA

I have now shot some closer in BIF targets and results were overall good I thought. I do not feel like the D7000 is more sluggish or less accurate than my D300, so I am continuing to be pleasantly surprised. AF did miss moreso than previous outing where BIF were further away but when it missed it was more to do with me than the camera - I am talking extremely close BIF with my 70-200. I should have AF fine-tuned my 70-200 as it back-focusses a little on all my cameras, more chores to do.

D7000 continues to impress. I have had to up my game on sharpening though to avoid introducing noise into the background. Coincidentally I just bought Jason Odell's Capture NX Sharpening video and that is helping. One can never learn too much about this topic I think.

I do notice the fewer 35 vs. 51 AF points, for when birds are on the ground I move the AF point around a lot. I also seem to underexpose this camera a lot so still working on that. The zoomed histogram is going to be a very useful feature (histogram changes as you zoom in).

I hate the absence of the one-button zoom-in to check sharpness

EXIF are intact - these images are uncropped except the second one where I removed extra blank space at frame bottom.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Sun 14-Nov-10 06:56 PM
2318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 13

Bay Area, US

Great shots!!

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Mon 15-Nov-10 08:47 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon 15-Nov-10 08:48 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

Steve,
Great shots.
I have been reading much online regarding AF and comparing the D300/300s and D700. The consensus I gathered was that the D300s is better. From your images and words it does not sound too much better. Some of the other pro features of the D300 are less important to me.

I am happy to hear that not everyone agrees with the eagle shooter. I have been considering upgrading my D5000 and have been trying to decide between waiting for the D400 or getting a D7000 now. This weekend I was in B&H in Manhattan and shot with the 300s and 7000 for at least 100 shots (maybe 200, They were machine gun fast so it was easy to do).
While the higher frames/sec on the D300s was noticeable to me, I was having a hard time deciding which acquired focus faster which for me is more important. The D7000 also seemed much quieter. After reading your post I finally decided to order the D7000. Thank you.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 15-Nov-10 11:56 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 16
Mon 15-Nov-10 11:57 PM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

>I am happy to hear that not everyone agrees with the eagle
>shooter. I have been considering upgrading my D5000 and have
>been trying to decide between waiting for the D400 or getting
>a D7000 now. This weekend I was in B&H in Manhattan and
>shot with the 300s and 7000 for at least 100 shots (maybe 200,
>They were machine gun fast so it was easy to do).
>While the higher frames/sec on the D300s was noticeable to
>me, I was having a hard time deciding which acquired focus
>faster which for me is more important. The D7000 also seemed
>much quieter. After reading your post I finally decided to
>order the D7000. Thank you.

What settings were you shooting at? The D7000 shoots 14 bit raw at 6 fps, the D300s shoots 14 bit raw at 2.5 fps. The D300s can still outshoot the D7000 if you shoot 12 bit RAW or JPEGs (7 fps, 8 fps with grip).

Jason

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Tue 16-Nov-10 12:59 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 17

New HArtford, US

I assume this question was for Steve. I assume that the camera's in the store were set at jpeg, sorry I am not sure. I would encourage anyone considering a camera purchase to go to store where they can actually shoot it. The D300S shot more frames per second so I assume this was shooting in 12 bit ? jpeg.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

SteveH52 Registered since 25th May 2007Fri 19-Nov-10 01:07 AM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 4

Brookfield, US

Thanks so much for the early reports. To my untrained eye, it looks over-exposed. I know the light was difficult but does that seem to be the case with the D7000? Thanks for any reply...btw...it won't matter since I ordered mine yesterday.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 19-Nov-10 02:28 AM
#21. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 20

Alberta, CA

IIRC I jumped these up in post, increasing exposure, and particularly when I applied an s-curve and completed sharpening the whites got a little hotter. And yes shooting white birds in any light is a major challenge

In camera (and straight out of camera) these were a little on the dark side. I was shooting in manual and used the histogram to set the original exposure. Light was changing a little up and down due to the partial cloud cover.

So I haven't detected any tendency of the camera to overexpose.

Some folk have observed a greater weighting of the selected focus point in the matrix algorithm in this camera as opposed to other Nikons. That could be true, but I haven't shot enough with the D7000 to confirm that. It may be something to keep an eye on if you use matrix metering as do I.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

SteveH52 Registered since 25th May 2007Wed 24-Nov-10 04:32 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 2

Brookfield, US

Thanks so much for sharing. The bad news is, I really feel like upgrading now from a D300. Oh well, can't take it with you!

Beautiful shots....thanks again.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 15-Nov-10 12:47 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

A few words on this subject from a pro in the field:

http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com/2010/11/nikon-d7000-af-impressions.html

Jason

DsrtVW Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2007Wed 17-Nov-10 04:38 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 15

US

I have shot a lot of BIF with my D300 it has a sick AF system and needs to go back for repair. It was always reliable on tracking birds. The D7000 is right up there with the D300 for BIFs IMHO. I also thinks it does a better job of metering exposure. I was out shooting Tundra Swans this morning and was really impressed with the AF tracking. I am waiting on the Pintails to show in good numbers to really give it a good test when they are working the ponds in groups. They move a bit faster than Swans

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 20-Nov-10 05:07 PM
3294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

You may like to take a look at a thread I started after buying a D7000. It regards my disappointment on finding I had trouble the first time I used it for BIF. It's a new thread and there's lots of good replies. It's about a focusing problem. Have a look.

Richard

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=2079&mesg_id=2079&page=

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

lifewings Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2008Sat 20-Nov-10 09:00 PM
#24. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 23
Sat 20-Nov-10 09:13 PM by lifewings

Santa Fe, US

I got back from a quick foray to the Bosque to shoot BIF ... in the field I was impressed with how quickly the D7K seemed to grab focus, but slightly disappointed in the results once I returned home.

I am wondering about settings ... do folks have their camera set to focus or release? Usually with my D300 I have been using release, but not sure if that works best with this camera, especially with BIF.

Also ... in reading the manual, I am now experimenting with setting the exposure delay (d-11) to on, as the shutter-release is so quick to fire, I am wondering if this will help give the VR a chance to kick in before firing. Some better results with my dog (!) ... but I'm wondering what others have found, as I will be headed back down to the Bosque for a longer shoot, and would prefer to use the D7K with my 500mm lens instead of my tried & true D300.

EDIT: Just tried it ... the delay is way too large; too bad it is not adjustable.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 21-Nov-10 12:12 PM
3294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: D7000 for Birds in flight"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

You may be interested in my posting regarding the D7000 auto focus tuning see: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=2079&mesg_id=2079&page=

I was extremely disappointed when I looked at my first BIF images. Rather than go into details here, have a look at my post. I resolved it in the end through the AF fine tune options.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1412 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.