Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1397
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD Cards for a D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 31-Oct-10 04:38 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD Cards for a D7000?"

Jackson, US

All of my current cards are Compact Flash for my D300 bodies. I have a D7000 ordered and was looking over the SC cards for it. I see there are a variety of "classes" on them, but I don't see a pattern based on speed and price. CF cards make sense as it is apparent a 600x is faster than a 300x.

For example, Tiger Direct has 32g SD Class 2 cards for $79.99, Class 4 cards for $69.99, Class 6 cards for $89.99, and Class 10 cards for $74.99.

Which class is best suited for the fastest still image capture on a D7000?

Thanks,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD Cards for a D7000?
KnightPhoto Gold Member
31st Oct 2010
intrepidnz
31st Oct 2010
OpticalSerenity
31st Oct 2010
intrepidnz
31st Oct 2010
M_Jackson Silver Member
01st Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
01st Nov 2010
M_Jackson Silver Member
01st Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
31st Dec 2010
intrepidnz
07th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2010
intrepidnz
07th Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
01st Nov 2010
M_Jackson Silver Member
02nd Nov 2010
FutureLook Silver Member
01st Nov 2010
ericbowles Moderator
01st Nov 2010
M_Jackson Silver Member
01st Nov 2010
eagle101st
01st Nov 2010
kuzzy Silver Member
07th Nov 2010
emskad
29th Dec 2010
tshugars Silver Member
31st Dec 2010
cfeather
31st Dec 2010
emskad
31st Dec 2010
wordwizrd
31st Dec 2010
waldo647 Silver Member
01st Jan 2011
Edmo1
31st Dec 2010
emskad
31st Dec 2010
Edmo1
31st Dec 2010
CPP
01st Jan 2011
digitalandfilm
01st Jan 2011
BillboTex
02nd Jan 2011
Edmo1
03rd Jan 2011

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 31-Oct-10 05:35 PM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

>Which class is best suited for the fastest still image capture
>on a D7000?
>

I've been going through your same scenario (no SD cards) and there are two earlier threads in this forum on the topic, might be on page two or later of the forum by now.

Personally I bought a class 10 for fastest currently available technology for empty of the buffer for still images and class 6 for video. I believe to be safe some people also bought class 10 for video but I think class 6 is good enough.

I wouldn't mess with class 2/4/6 for stills unless you are a low volume shooter.

But see the earlier threads, there is a new much faster 70-100Mbps speed called UHS-1 coming new on the market this winter and the D7000 is compatible with it. Class 10 is 30Mbps and Class 6 is 15Mbps.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sun 31-Oct-10 05:51 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 31-Oct-10 06:55 PM by intrepidnz

NZ

I too, have been going through this very issue over the last few days.

I have, like you, a D300 and I have Sandisk Ultra II (10MB/s), Extreme III (?) and Extreme IV (45MB/s) cards for it but I can't see any difference in writing speeds!! Mind you, its not often I use it at 6 FPS!!! So Extreme III and Extreme IV cards are not required for ordinary picture taking with the D300!!

Further, I found that HD1080 video doesn't seem to need anything more than 15 MB/s, going from the cards dedicated to video recording for other video cams. Whether this applies to the D7000 video recording is aa debateable point but there's some logic to the argument.

If you go to the Nikon US site and look at the specifications for the D7000, there is a section on Approved SD cards for the D7000. I notice that it doesn't specify a class so one COULD assume that it doesn't matter! Like our D300, a Ultra card would suffice for most things.

I haven't fully decided yet but am tossing up between the 4GB or 8 GB SanDisk Extreme (30MB/s) card, probably leaning towards the 8 GB Extreme card as the Extreme cards are what the specs and examples for the D700 keep referring to. I know the Sandisk Ultra card (15 MB/s) would suffice as well, for picture taking. I may end up with a mixture, say the 8GB Extreme for the video and the 4GB Ultras for the pictures.

I also have to say that my initial concern about cards was raised when I was looking at the Transcend class 10 cards as they are quite economical here in NZ but since they weren't 'approved' for use by Nikon (via their website), I started questioning the whole thing about cards.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Sun 31-Oct-10 06:01 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 31-Oct-10 06:03 PM by OpticalSerenity

Atlanta, US

I had SD cards for my D80, but wanted to pick up some faster ones for the D7k. So, I read reviews on Amazon and ended up with a couple Transcend cards. I got a Class 10 and a Class 6 card. The class 10 is super fast, in fact, just as fast from the informal speed tests I've done with Sandisk Extreme Class 10 cards. And, it's significantly cheaper.

The Class 10 16gb Transcend was about $32.

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sun 31-Oct-10 06:57 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

NZ

I would be keen to know how you go with them.

I am debating about getting some of the Transcend Class 10 cards myself as they are quite economical but was concerned that Transcend aren't an approved SDHC card by Nikon.

Cheers

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 01-Nov-10 12:14 AM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Jackson, US

I have absolutely no hesitation buying Transcend cards. That's all I have been using for around four years and have been totally satisfied. I sent one in and they replaced it with a brand new one.

I've also had Lexar and Sandisk cards in the past and had to send one of each back and both were replaced with no hassles other than getting an RMA before sending them in.

The latest 600x 32gig Transcend CF card is working perfectly, too. And, yes, I do want to buy the fastest card for my still images. I am not buying the D7000 for the video, but maybe someday it will come in handy.

I read the specs on the D7000 stating the new batteries should hold a charge enough to make 800 photos. On my D300, I shot over 2000 photos yesterday morning at around 30 degrees and still never lost a bar on the power meter. For the D300, I have the extra grip and use the AA battery clip. It sounds like the extra batteries for the D7000 will be hard to get for a while, so that's still a bit of a concern. Also, initial searches indicate the optional grip will be hard to get for a while, too.

Needless to say, I am anxious to get my hands on the new camera, but will have a month or two of speed bumps waiting for the accessories and RAW converters. Hopefully Adobe will get the new update for Lightroom released before I end up with too many DNG files.

Best regards,
M. Jackson, Jackson Hole, WY

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 01-Nov-10 01:40 AM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

>Hopefully Adobe will
>get the new update for Lightroom released before I end up with
>too many DNG files.
>

Just double-checking - you know about the newly available 'Release Candidate' version 3.3 of Lightroom? It is compatible with the D7000.

You are right about batteries and grips, could be a bit tricky at first.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 01-Nov-10 02:40 PM
#10. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

Jackson, US

Hi Knight,
I was on Adobe's forums last night and saw the info about the RC 3.3 of LR, so that's great news. I might have to load it if I get the camera right away, but would prefer to wait for the final release of 3.3. The Release Candidate loads a second version of LR. In the past, it seems Adobe stumbles a little with later installs after the beta and RC versions were loaded. Maybe I am wrong. I don't want have a mix of DNG and NEF files if I can help it. I was even thinking about copying all new NEF files to a temporary holder hard drive and reimport them once the Raw converters were updated. Right now, it is a moot point until my camera arrives.

Thanks again,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 31-Dec-10 04:08 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>I read the specs on the D7000 stating the new batteries should
>hold a charge enough to make 800 photos.

The D7000 tends to make up to 2000 to 3000 images per full battery charge (obviously variable with how much the LCD screen is used and the internal flash). I know mine does...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sun 07-Nov-10 06:27 AM
#14. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

NZ

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but....

If you have a look at the picture of the D700 showing the two 8GB SanDisk SD cards coming out of the slots, there is a 4 in a circle, meaning the SD cards are Class 4 SD cards, which equates to SanDisk Ultra cards - 15 MBit/s.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 07-Nov-10 02:10 PM
#16. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun 07-Nov-10 02:11 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

>> If you have a look at the picture of the D700 showing the two 8GB SanDisk SD cards coming out of the slots, there is a 4 in a circle, meaning the SD cards are Class 4 SD cards, which equates to SanDisk Ultra cards - 15 MBit/s.
>>

I thought Class 6 are 15Mbps?

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sun 07-Nov-10 04:15 PM
#17. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 16

NZ

I think you are right but the Sandisk site says that their Class 4 cards transfer at 15 MBit/s.

So, I suppose it reiterates the idea that 15 Mbit/s is fine for use with the D7000.

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Mon 01-Nov-10 03:51 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

"The Class 10 16gb Transcend was about $32. "
Showing at Amazon today (11/1) for $28.99 WITH a reader.
Best.d

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 02-Nov-10 12:35 AM
#13. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 12

Jackson, US

2 Transcend TRSD32GB10 32GB SDHC Card $60.73

dhmiller, I bought two 32 gig cards from B&H today for a little over $30 each. I didn't need a card reader.

MJ

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Mon 01-Nov-10 01:47 AM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Miami, US

Best Buy has the sandisk sd extreme 8gb 30mbps on sale for $49.99. Regular price is $79.99. Bought two today.

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 01-Nov-10 10:01 AM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 01-Nov-10 02:38 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

Nikon appears to have specified Class 6 and Class 10 cards for the D7000. One difference in speed affects write speeds - which means that faster cards will be slower to fill the buffer at fast frame rates. A second area where speeds make a difference is with downloads - faster cards are much faster to download. A third area is for video - you could run into issues with video on slower cards.

As far as brands are concerned, Sandisk and Lexar have been tested by Nikon and are the most popular. Most of the other name brands are fine but they may not have been tested by Nikon. The cards are manufactured according to required published standards. Most manufacturers exceed those standards.

Keep in mind that video will burn through a card very quickly. Even if you have no plans to shoot video, you might want to provide for at least one high volume card.

Also remember that file sizes are 33% larger with the D7000. Assuming the compression is the same, that means 1/3 less images on a card. On a peak day I shoot 450 images on my D300 and it nearly fills an 8GB card. I prefer not to change cards in the field if possible, so that means I need at least 16GB for a full day of shooting.

I bought two Sandisk Class 10 16GB cards.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 01-Nov-10 02:31 PM
#9. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 8

Jackson, US

Hi Eric,
Yes, I am now a fan of the fast 32 bit cards. I can definitely see the difference in a 600x card over a 300x card in my D300 bodies.

I already have a 32g Class 6 card, but was just trying to make sense of all the different classes in the SD cards. Time to buy a couple of Class 10 cards now, I guess.

Thanks for the comments.
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

eagle101st Registered since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 01-Nov-10 03:12 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I ordered a Class 10 16GB and 32GB SD cards. I am planning to designate 1 card for raw files and 1 card for JPEG files.

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Sun 07-Nov-10 12:49 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 11

Milford, US

FYI, there is a rebate on sandisk cards currently available through photo stores. I got $50 back on 2 8gb extreme (30mbs)cards making my net price $45 each from B&H. I was not as worried about the buffer in the camera as much as waiting all day for the images to load on the PC.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

emskad Registered since 27th Dec 2010Wed 29-Dec-10 12:38 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 15

US

FYI, Best Buy has the 30MB/s 8GB extreme cards for $39.99 this week with no rebate to deal with. When I was in last week these same cards were ~$70. I was originally looking for a 16GB so, thankfully, didn't buy then. Interestingly, this sale was not on their web-site, but in the store (Indiana).

After reading the very helpful opinions on this forum of having several smaller cards rather than one large, I picked up 3 of the 8GB yesterday. I will use one full-time in slot two for video and use the other two in slot one for photos. Taking in non-compressed NEF Raw, I only get 223 per card on the D7000.

New to Nikonians (1st post), but thanks to everyone for their contributions. Very helpful for me, as a hobbyist, to get great information and signed up as Silver Member.

tshugars Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Dec 2005Fri 31-Dec-10 01:13 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 18

Terre Haute, US

I just picked up two Extreme 8GB class 10 cards from Best Buy for $39.99 each. The regular selling price is $79.99 each. Thanks for alerting us of this great price!

I also checked BestBuy.com and found the same card for the same price, however the website indicates the card is backordered. The sale price does not appear until you place them in your shopping cart.

cfeather Registered since 23rd Dec 2005Fri 31-Dec-10 02:27 AM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 19

Kingsville, US

For what it's worth, I'm using a pair of 16gb Transcend SD HC cards in my D7000. They are class 6. The card costs around $25 on Amazon. No problems thus far with stills or video. I've been shooting RAW plus full jpg, no issues to one card or splitting. Had a card lock up the camera when I switched it from slot 1 to 2 and had to reformat. Won't do that again.

I've used Transcend cards in my Panasonic video camera for the past year. It's HD and no problems. That said, there are plenty of horror stories on the Internet about Transcend cards.

I won't be using them for a wedding or other important shoot. As soon as I recover financially from buying the camera and 16-35, I'm going to invest in some better cards. Perhaps the new variety will be out by then. Meanwhile, no problem here with cheap cards.

Carl E. Feather
Feather Multimedia

emskad Registered since 27th Dec 2010Fri 31-Dec-10 02:01 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 20

US

I read a lot about the cards on this forum and other reviews and am getting ready to go to Caribbean and didn't have time to test any others out. When I saw pricing, it made the decision easy.

wordwizrd Registered since 24th Nov 2010Fri 31-Dec-10 05:45 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 21

US

a very good guide is to go with whatever cards nikon recommends, regardless of whether they may be more expensive. the big reason is nikon tech support. over years of shooting nikon digitals from the d1 through the d700, i've found one of the first questions tech support will ask if you call with a problem is "which card are you using?" i don't know if there really is a significant difference, but when i am calling for help, i want them specifically addressing the issue that prompted my call, not instantly blaming a flash card and dismissing anything else i have to say. frankly, saving a few dollars is not worth the aggravation ... and it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, when i was spending $5,000 for each new camera body at two-year intervals. i expect you bought nikon for its quality reputation. don't cheap out on the details like cards and batteries. it will come back to haunt you

waldo647 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Sat 01-Jan-11 04:07 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 19

SF Bay Area, US

>I just picked up two Extreme 8GB class 10 cards from Best Buy
>for $39.99 each. The regular selling price is $79.99 each.
>Thanks for alerting us of this great price!
>
>I also checked BestBuy.com and found the same card for the
>same price, however the website indicates the card is
>backordered. The sale price does not appear until you place
>them in your shopping cart.

Thanks *very* much for the tip on this! My local Best Buy in Dublin, CA, had a pile of them in stock @$39. Their policy is no rebates, too!

I was holding out for a price in this range. What I didn't expect were that it fits into the camera more easily (the card being very slightly smaller or thinner or both); and, the downloading of pics is about twice as fast as my 4GB Extreme III cards (or so it seems).

This easily justifies my next annual Nikonians membership fee! Thanks!

Edmo1 Registered since 02nd Dec 2010Fri 31-Dec-10 08:30 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 18

US

I have the bad habit of not clearing my cards frequently. Decided on the overkill route and bought two 32Gig Sandisk Extreme class 10. A pretty penny, but hopefully I won't have any space issues and I do plan to shoot video.

Now I need to go read the manual and see what goes on if you select the A=RAW and B=jpeg, not sure what happens when you shoot video - does it all go to A or B and if you fill up the A card, will the camera still shoot jpeg only to B? If that is the case, maybe pairing a 32gig card and a 16gig card would be more cost efficient.

emskad Registered since 27th Dec 2010Fri 31-Dec-10 08:36 PM
#25. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 24

US

You have the option of what you want slot 2 to do.

Edmo1 Registered since 02nd Dec 2010Fri 31-Dec-10 09:28 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 25

US

Ok, just went through the manual and they lay it out pretty clearly on pg 89. You can choose either card to shoot video to, but not both. So by choosing slot 2 for video in Raw+jpeg mode, it would better balance the data being recorded if you have two cards of equal size. The manual doesn't address what happens when you choose video for slot 2 and there is no card; I suppose it will default to slot 1, but need to test that out.

Alternatively, you could use the biggest card in slot 1 and use slot 2 for jpeg backups if you don't have two cards of equal size.

CPP Registered since 22nd Jun 2004Sat 01-Jan-11 12:40 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 26
Sat 01-Jan-11 12:46 PM by CPP

Lexington S.C. ( just moved f, US

Interesting thread

http://nikonites.com/d7000/1710-d7000-fastest-fps-raw.html

digitalandfilm Registered since 13th Nov 2010Sat 01-Jan-11 02:19 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 28

US

Just got a 32gb Kodak SDHC from Office Max for $99 on sale.

I'll get a second for slot 2 in a week or so..

"All intervening steps.. scribbles, sketches, drawings, failed work, models, studies, thoughts, conversations.. are of interest"

My website: http://www.digitalandfilm.com

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Sun 02-Jan-11 02:45 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 11

Houston, US

>I ordered a Class 10 16GB and 32GB SD cards. I am planning
>to designate 1 card for raw files and 1 card for JPEG files.

I will receive my new D7k next week. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a 32GB class 10 SDHC card in slot one for still images ONLY (RAW & JPEG), and a 64GB class 10 SDXC in slot two as a backup for slot one and also for all video?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

Edmo1 Registered since 02nd Dec 2010Mon 03-Jan-11 10:10 AM
#31. "RE: SD Cards for a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 30
Mon 03-Jan-11 10:13 AM by Edmo1

US

Yes, you would set the memory card mgmt to "backup" which would save each still to both cards. Setting video to slot 2 would save it there. If you are shooting both raw and jpg you will need to switch back and forth between formats as needed, but the other settings would stay the same. If you want to save raw & jpg for the same shot, you will need to save to both cards (slot 1 raw and slot 2 jpg).

>
>I will receive my new D7k next week. Does anyone know if it
>is possible to use a 32GB class 10 SDHC card in slot one for
>still images ONLY (RAW & JPEG), and a 64GB class 10 SDXC
>in slot two as a backup for slot one and also for all video?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1397 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.