Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1373
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Extensive Testing" Previous topic | Next topic
csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberSat 30-Oct-10 04:55 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Extensive Testing"
Sat 30-Oct-10 04:56 PM by csgaraglino

Colorado Springs, US

Here is an impressive series of test done with full EXIF data.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D7000/D7000A7.HTM

I'm thinking there is no "softness" to this body, especially that should concern anyone in the space this camera was designed for.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Extensive Testing
MEMcD Moderator
30th Oct 2010
Ray S
30th Oct 2010
intrepidnz
30th Oct 2010
Ray S
30th Oct 2010
briantilley Moderator
30th Oct 2010
Ray S
30th Oct 2010
briantilley Moderator
31st Oct 2010
km6xz Moderator
31st Oct 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 30-Oct-10 07:21 PM
25658 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Extensive Testing"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Ray S Registered since 30th Oct 2010Sat 30-Oct-10 08:41 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Extensive Testing"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 30-Oct-10 08:52 PM by Ray S

US

I went to the Imaging Resource samples you listed and they looked pretty good. But then I used the "Compare Sample Images" available on that forum and compared the images with the new Canon 60D. If you look at the house picture in full size, I think you can see that the bricks are much sharper on the Canon. Exposure on the lady is better on the D7000. Also if you compare the "Resolution" image the Canon is definitely better.

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sat 30-Oct-10 08:58 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Extensive Testing"
In response to Reply # 2

NZ

Won't any difference in sharpness be due to the lens used, not the camera?

Cheers

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ray S Registered since 30th Oct 2010Sat 30-Oct-10 09:45 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Extensive Testing"
In response to Reply # 3

US

You made a good point about the lens so I went back and checked. Apparently the Resolution photos both used a Sigma 70,, F/2.8 lens so I think they shold be comparable. However the house pictures appear to have used differrent lenses. The D7000 used a Sigma 70 mm F/2.8 lense and the Canon used the Canon 16-35 mm lense so we probably should not be comparing those.

Thanks for your input.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 30-Oct-10 09:32 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Extensive Testing"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Ray!

Could I ask that you put your full name in your User Profile, please? We find this enhances the sense of community here, and have made it part of our Terms of Use.

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Ray S Registered since 30th Oct 2010Sat 30-Oct-10 09:42 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 Extensive Testing"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I went back and checked and I believe I do have my full name in the user profile. Is there more than one place I should have it?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 31-Oct-10 09:10 AM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Extensive Testing"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

Thanks very much, Ray

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 31-Oct-10 07:52 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Extensive Testing"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 31-Oct-10 07:54 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

The main problem with comparing the 60d and D7000 is the difference in settings. Canon has higher sharpening as default and any boost is over sharpened, same with saturation. Nikon, starting with the D90 has very dull default settings. That created a rash of complaints about poor sharpness when the D90 came out, and early reviews panned it, like DPR saying it was not as good at the rather pedestrian Canon 450D. They even mentioned it looked a lot better when sharpening was set up a notch or two but their policy was not use anything but default settings.
The same with the D7000, the EXIF settings show "Normal" or default settings. The D7000 just as the D90 requires a boost to 5-6 for best image quality. On the D7000 the difference is even more striking than on the D90. Posts of properly sharpened D7000 images compared to the 7d show a distinct advantage to the 7d, which if boosted looks very much over sharpened. Canon knows how the test sites test so sets their defaults to the highest practical. Nikon has been much more conservative which hurts them in the on-line reviews. After seeing how unrealistic the DPR review was compared to real world shooting I stopped paying attention to any of them. Later reviews got it a lot closer to what real users were getting out of theirs. Do not expect great images or values from early reviews.
As in most fields where consumers can evaluate numbers and judge, single category tests do not relate well to real experience.
For instance in Hi-Fi gear, testing of single values ranks systems in people's minds but tell absolutely nothing about how well it performs in use, the perceived quality takes in a vast array of interdependent criteria and some never tested for because of not being well understood. What is tested for is what is easily tested for.
Power output is tested for because it is very easy to test for but means little in listening tests. Frequency response is even less a factor in listening tests but is easy to test for. Dynamic inter-harmonic distortion is very hard to test for but has great bearing on subjective listening tests, so it is ignored.
Same with cameras and images. Two images with the same total grain value might have vastly differing quality impression by viewers since amplitude is not as important as character, randomness, granularity etc. Higher levels of randomness in film grain looked more pleasing than less randomness even if amplitude was lower. Realism has little connection to Sharpness, that is a term used by photographers to quantify one value because it is easy to measure despite not having much to do with subjective perception of an image. Micro contrast for example has more impact but harder to test for so it is ignored in tests. Non-photographers subjectively rate images very differently than photographers who tend to isolate slight differences that have no impact on the perception by a view of the image. So manufacturers have been focusing on testing well in the tests that give quantitative values for single criteria tested in isolation. Car and Hi-Fi makers ended up doing the same thing. Sometimes, by luck improvements in one of these criteria, when combined with other not tested for criteria ended up with an improvement in perception but that is mostly by accident. Double blind tests of images, cars, hi-fi gear often embarrass the hobbyists who thrive on single criteria tests.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1373 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.