Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13369
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need help with moon shot" Previous topic | Next topic
jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 08:38 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need help with moon shot"

US

I'm using the Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, less filter, with my D7000. This particular cropped example was shot in Manual mode at F7.1 1/8000 ISO 800, I used a tripod with the VR off, ML-L3 remote control with mirror up. Picture control was in Vivid with the sharpness and contrast bumped up. (I also shot this in Monochrome with red filter effect with no visible difference) Am I missing something or is this the best I can get with this lens?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need help with moon shot
hawaii502160
12th Nov 2011
jodylud
12th Nov 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
12th Nov 2011
jodylud
12th Nov 2011
elec164 Silver Member
12th Nov 2011
jodylud
12th Nov 2011
pdekman Gold Member
12th Nov 2011
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
12th Nov 2011
jodylud
12th Nov 2011
pdekman Gold Member
12th Nov 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
12th Nov 2011
pdekman Gold Member
12th Nov 2011
chriscavn82
30th Nov 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
12th Nov 2011
jodylud
12th Nov 2011
jodylud
14th Nov 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
14th Nov 2011
jodylud
17th Nov 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
17th Nov 2011
jodylud
19th Nov 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
20th Nov 2011
jodylud
20th Nov 2011
Porceliamone Silver Member
22nd Nov 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
22nd Nov 2011
22nd Nov 2011
nrothschild Silver Member
23rd Nov 2011
29th Nov 2011

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 10:33 AM
183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 12-Nov-11 10:34 AM by hawaii502160

Cleveland, US

I took some shots of our full moon last month. I used both my 70-200mm VRII, and my 70-300mm VR lenses. I ended up shooting both wide open, and using spot metering, right off of the face of the moon. I thought my shots turned out pretty well. That being said, for a really detailed shot, you probably need a little longer reach than even your 300mm can offer.

1/640, f/5.6, 300mm, ISO400, spot metering

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/1hawaii50/Moon%20Pics/_DSC3337.jpg

1/640, f/5.6, 300mm, ISO400, spot metering

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/1hawaii50/Moon%20Pics/_DSC3336.jpg

Both of these shots were taken handheld, with my Nikon 70-300mm VR lens. Most of the photo was lost on the crop...as I said, a little longer reach is needed.

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 11:43 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Nice shot Don (and hand-held too). I can see the various crater depths on the edge of the moon.

I also used spot metering. Not sure that even bringing the ISO down further would make much of a difference.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 12-Nov-11 11:49 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 12-Nov-11 11:53 AM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

I used the 70-300 w/VR on for this shot; spot, 1/250 @f/10, vivid, sharpening 6 and contrast -1 & ISO 200. I darkened a little in PP. Imo, looks better zoomed in and the lens will produce a good IQ although not like the big boys.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 12:17 PM
#5. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thank you John for your specs and photo, nice shot BTW.

Hopefully we'll have clear skies this evening so I can try again. I'll go with an ISO 200 to start... Has anyone found a circular polarizing filter useful?

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 12-Nov-11 11:59 AM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As Don already mentioned, cropping and enlarging to gain reach is not a good substitute for focal length. And according to SLRgear’s blur charts at 300mm the 28-300 appears only marginally less sharp than the 70-300 VR.

Here is a test shot I used in another post quite some time ago.

D7000 with the 70-300VR on a tripod, ML-L3 remote in MUP mode at 300mm, f/5.6, 1/160 and ISO 100
100% crop

Your image I believe is a down sample which throws away resolution so its hard to say from that how much detail difference there is between Don and my shot at 300mm with the 70-300 is than yours with the 28-300. At 300mm you are only placing about 540 pixels on the diameter of the moon. So providing us with a 100% crop would allow us to better judge the amount of detail captured.

Having said that I would recommend that you not shoot the full moon at such a high ISO. The sun directly lights the full moon, so the exposure you use is not much different than taking a landscape shot on a sunny day. But instead of Sunny 16 to approximate the exposure you would use Luney 11.

Also by applying Luney 11 to your settings, it also appeared that you underexposed the image by 1.5 to 2 stops. That combined with the higher ISO allowed considerable amount of noise that robs you of detail.

At least those are my thoughts, hope it helps.

Pete

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 12:50 PM
#6. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thank you Peter for your advice and photo.

The photo I submitted was cropped in camera (trim in retouch) with no other modifications. I have PS8 but don't use it. Not sure what you mean by 'down sample'. Are you referring to it being underexposed? Thanks again.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 12-Nov-11 01:11 PM
1007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

The moon can be a surprisingly difficult target, and more reach is really needed for better detail. Using a good mount with Mup and keeping a reasonable shutter speed are the next keys. I'm estimating anything faster than 1/60sec should be fine given the moon's movement. A lower ISO and higher exposure might help here, but not a great deal.

Here's a recent shot I took through a 90mm APO refractor with my D7000. I don't recall which teleconvertor I used, but focal length would be either 700mm or 1000mm, ISO 400, 1/80sec.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 01:38 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 7

US

That's a great shot and it illustrates the difference between shooting a full moon and a partial moon. With a partial moon, you will see much more crater relief as a result of the shadows. Full moons tend to show crater relief only on the extreme margins of the moon.

Visit my gallery.

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 02:38 PM
#11. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Beautiful shot Paul. This is what I want...

Though my husband and I are not quite there yet. He plays around with an Orion SkyQuest XT10 Dobsonian Telescope for now, and we still have one more to get through college. :/

Anyway, sometime during our retirement we'll get the right equipment together and produce some awesome photos. Thanks for your reply.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 12-Nov-11 03:06 PM
1007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 11

Swisher, US

I'm sure you'll get there quick. Astrophotography is a curiosity that I'm actually trying to supress given the amount of time and equipment involved. For now, just getting my camera gear to interesting terrestial sites is enough.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 12-Nov-11 02:50 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 7

Joanna, US

Hi Paul,

Great view - smooth and crystal clear. Did you do much PP?

John

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 12-Nov-11 03:26 PM
#14. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 12

Swisher, US

John -

Thanks for the comment. I did not do much to the file, no image stacking or significant NR, etc.

This particular file was submitted for the September online assignment (contrast) so I did take it through Topaz Adjust to ensure good detail and contrast, but nothing further. The original NEF in Lightroom shows +0.3 exposure, Adobe Standard profile, brightness and contrast turned down a bit, and clarity set to +15. It is nearly identical to the posted image.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

chriscavn82 Registered since 18th Oct 2011Wed 30-Nov-11 06:49 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 7

US

wow very nice, thank you for sharing it

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 12-Nov-11 01:38 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 12-Nov-11 01:42 PM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

I believe you can do better with the 300mm lens. Here is a shot I took last month when it was not quite full.
-I used ISO 100 as I can see noise in your image from the 800 setting.
-I underexposed some to preserve the detail in the bright areas around fresh impacts.
-Shoot manual as the light conditions are not changing and its hard to get the moon under the spot sensor. You are going to crop anyway so don't worry about putting the moon dead center.
-Try some sharpening using the high pass filter.
-Use the Landscape picture control as it has a higher contrast than the vivid does. And the vivid will 'enhance' the chromatic aberrations (CA) as well.
-There really is no color to speak of except some red-browns from the light traveling through the atmosphere so desaturate to help minimize the CA
-Don't resize the image as it will obscure detail through the resampling process. You are working with a 100% image and can't afford to throw away any detail.
-Use a tripod and don't forget to turn VR off as I often forget to do.
-Don't wait until the full moon to shoot as the shadows in a partial moon can bring out details.

Here is my shot...

D7000 F/11 1/200s ISO 100 Nikkor 70-300

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 12-Nov-11 02:30 PM
#10. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thank you Dean for your reply. I hadn't thought of using the Landscape picture control and your less than full moon image is beautiful.

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Mon 14-Nov-11 03:52 AM
#15. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I took this shot this evening... f5.6, 1/640, and 200 ISO using Landscape picture control with bumped up sharping and contrast. Thank you everyone for all your great advice!

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 14-Nov-11 11:39 AM
#16. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 15

Joanna, US

Very good, Jody. Nice to see the smiley face.

John

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Thu 17-Nov-11 08:13 AM
#17. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Ok, this is roughly the same settings as before... Aperture priority, 1/100, F5.6, ISO 100 with WB set at Incandescent (tungsten) in Landscape picture control (sharp 9, cont +3, and sat -2)

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 17-Nov-11 12:50 PM
#18. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 17

Joanna, US

Really "cool" shot. The craters and landscape pop with those settings. Good work!

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sat 19-Nov-11 01:04 PM
#19. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Thanks John. All things considered, I feel this is the best set-up for this lens and camera, and have noted the specs on the back of the photo. I'm happy with it.

When my husband retires, we'll reward ourselves with a kick-ass telescope and I'll look into an adapter for my camera body...

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 20-Nov-11 04:49 AM
2966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 19

Raleigh, US

Nice improvement, Jody!

Rocky

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Sun 20-Nov-11 01:14 PM
#21. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 20

US

Thank you Rocky. My next project is learning how to setup for and create a celestial time-lapsed video using the Interval Timer shooting setting in my D5100 (w/double battery grip). I'm running out of time here in northern Indiana with overcast evenings and the weather in general getting so cold. :/

Porceliamone Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jul 2011Tue 22-Nov-11 04:52 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I know this is a little off topic but I can't find the thread I'm looking for...someone posted a photo of some star trails and I need to know what software I can use to stack images for making the final image. Any ideas folk? Thank you.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 22-Nov-11 05:13 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 22

Phoenix, US

You could do this with the Quicktime Pro version for about $30 US if I recall.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Porceliamone Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jul 2011Tue 22-Nov-11 05:31 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 23

GB

Many thanks for the reply but anything other than Quicktime if possible. Quicktime does photostacks? Preferably freeware or an application I already have (CS5, Lightroom). Thanks again.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 23-Nov-11 02:38 PM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 22

US

I've used this freeware program for my star trails stacking

my Nikonians gallery.

Porceliamone Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jul 2011Tue 29-Nov-11 07:03 PM
#26. "RE: Need help with moon shot"
In response to Reply # 25

GB

Thank you.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13369 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.