Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13193
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 and FX lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
bherman01545 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2007Sun 06-Nov-11 07:36 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 and FX lenses"

US

If I were to buy a D7000, wouldn't it be a safer bet to invest a little more $$ and get the FX lenses, especially since everything will eventually go full frame as sensor technology matures and gets cheaper?

Brad

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7000 and FX lenses
billD80 Silver Member
06th Nov 2011
JosephK Silver Member
06th Nov 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
07th Nov 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
08th Nov 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
08th Nov 2011
dhmiller Silver Member
10th Nov 2011
mikesrc Silver Member
14th Nov 2011

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 06-Nov-11 07:43 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 and FX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>If I were to buy a D7000, wouldn't it be a safer bet to
>invest a little more $$ and get the FX lenses, especially
>since everything will eventually go full frame as sensor
>technology matures and gets cheaper?
>
>Brad

No. Get the lenses that perform best in the given range you really want DX or FX. In the end, it's about the images you capture.

On the wide DX end, for instance, it's hard to beat the Sigma 8-16mm in any format.

The D7000 performs so well that, for many, an FX camera may be irrelevant. My 300/4 on DX behaves like a 450mm on FX. FX would be a disadvantage for what I like to shoot on the telephoto side of things...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 06-Nov-11 07:44 PM
4185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 and FX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

DX sensors are not going away any time soon since they outsell the FX sensors by orders of magnitude.

The question is whether you will trade in your DX camera for an FX body any time soon?

Does the size and weight differences between the FX and DX lenses matter to you?

Do the FX lenses go wide enough for you on a DX body?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 07-Nov-11 02:51 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 and FX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>everything will eventually go full frame as sensor technology matures and gets cheaper?
Will it?
Sensor technology is already good enough for there to be no difference other than occasionally nit picking in a 20 inch wide print from DX or FX to about 800 ISO from 12 MP.
DX bodies will always cost less to make than FX.
Information published in UK following Taiwan says DX remains 90% of Nikon's DSLR body sales by numbers of units sold.
"Will eventually go" may be after everything has gone mirrorless

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 08-Nov-11 05:31 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 and FX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Buying FX lenses does make sense if you feel that an FX camera is in your future. Except for as Bill mentioned, you still may need a DX UWA since the FX ultra wides don't get you there.

One possible exception is the FX Sigma 12-24, which gets you 18-36 FOV on DX, but from experience I advise not getting the original version. The mkii with asphericals has to be better.

I enjoyed Len's tongue in cheek comment, as mirrorless could imply a shorter distance between sensor and flange distance to reduce lens size, obsoleting current lenses. This happened recently when 4/3 went to micro 4/3 (although you can mount them via an adapter). I am not sure if Sony NEX mount is another example? Mirrorless impact on the camera industry is worth contemplating when thinking long term about building your lens kit.

As an aside, I think I may finally sell my last DX lens, the 10.5mm, because for travel I have decided to carry a mix of FX and Nikon 1 kit. I'm going to get the FX 16mm to replace it.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Tue 08-Nov-11 01:26 PM
1081 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D7000 and FX lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

US

as mirrorless could
>imply a shorter distance between sensor and flange distance to
>reduce lens size, obsoleting current lenses. This happened
>recently when 4/3 went to micro 4/3 (although you can mount
>them via an adapter). I am not sure if Sony NEX mount is
>another example? Mirrorless impact on the camera industry is
>worth contemplating when thinking long term about building
>your lens kit.

My 12yo wanted a more advanced camera than canon P&S. G12 and P7100 were considered but rejected. Sony NEX-3 gave her all advanced features, great bokeh (as sensor size is pretty much the same as in Nikon DX). The distance between lens and sensor is much shorter than in mirrored cameras (for portability?) so it accepts all DX lenses from all manufacturers via adapter. Sony even offers a full time Phase detection AF in there adapters (meaning they have enough space to put bunch of electronics into distance difference...
Vlad

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Thu 10-Nov-11 11:35 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D7000 and FX lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I use exclusively FX lenses on my D7000 but I also have a D700 - for that reason, the answer is a no-brainer. But just FYI, all my FX lenses (14-24, 24-70 and 70-200) work perfectly well on the 7000. And of course 1.5x factor can be very handy if/when you need it.
DM

mikesrc Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Mon 14-Nov-11 01:33 AM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D7000 and FX lenses"
In response to Reply # 6

OKLAHOMA CITY, US

I have FX lens because the lens are the ones I wanted. Buy the lens you like and don't worry about FX or DX.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13193 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.