Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13115
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wired remote - non Nikon" Previous topic | Next topic
jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Thu 03-Nov-11 02:17 AM
679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wired remote - non Nikon"

Banning, US

I often shoot with a wired remote on a tripod for landscape work. When I am bracketing I am in Cl mode. The wireless remote only functions in single frame mode. I shoot with a Really Right Stuff L bracket. The Nikon wired remote is a real tight squeeze when using the body in vertical (portrait) position with that bracket. The cord has a long hard area before the wire itself. This makes for a very tight fit.

Does anyone know if one of the third party cords might not stick out with a hard structure quite so far from the camera body?

Jerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Thu 03-Nov-11 09:19 PM
1139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wired remote - non Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Skip the wired cord and get the ML-L3 wireless remote. It's way easier to use. I have a D700 and D7000 both of which I shoot using MLU and a remote and I much prefer using the wireless remote with the D7000 versus the wired remote on the D700.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Thu 03-Nov-11 09:38 PM
679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wired remote - non Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 03-Nov-11 09:39 PM by jerry r

Banning, US

Dave,

We have the wireless remote (In fact extras because they are easy to loose), but you can't shoot in continuous frame advance mode with it.

We do use the wireless when possible.

Thanks,

Jerry

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Thu 03-Nov-11 10:04 PM
1139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wired remote - non Nikon"
In response to Reply # 2

US

You don't need to use CL. Just set the wireless remote for quick response mode and press the button for each bracket, it will fire as fast as you can press the button within the constraints of the shutter speed/aperture combination. I'm not sure what advantage CL mode gives you over firing each bracket individually.
The wireless remote is a little small and easy to lose; I solved that problem by drilling a tiny hole in one corner of the case so that I can attach it to a lanyard or key fob. It doesn't get lost now.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Fri 04-Nov-11 03:10 AM
#4. "RE: Wired remote - non Nikon"
In response to Reply # 3

Banning, US

Dave, the advantage occurs when there is wind or movement of some sort. The closer in time the images are to each other the less the ghosting or blur if you are using the bracketed shots for HDR.

Also if you are doing non-exposure brackets, but are trying to get the peak point of action, the Cl or Ch burst increases the chance often of getting the shot you want.

Yes, I could use my D300 rather than the D7000 for these situations, but that means two bodies with me - and I prefer the image qualities of the D7000.

Just trying to have it all - but know I probably can't.

Jerry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #13115 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.