Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1300
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700" Previous topic | Next topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 27-Oct-10 08:41 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"

St Petersburg, RU

This series is by the same person who did an earlier series that had NR on. Here is one with all turned off, from 100 to 25k ISO.

http://bophot.blogspot.com/2010/10/nikon-d7000-in-d700-kratka-primerjava_27.html

All the shots with were with f/7.1 AWB. The D7000 had its kit lens, 18-105vr and the D700 had the 28-70 2.8, a much better lens....in theory.
A couple things stand out, one is how at f/7.1, the lowly D7000/18-105 showed more fine detail. And how the color sensitivity hung in better than the D700 as ISO reached high levels. Note the red ring around the eyes of the teddy bear are displayed by both cameras at low ISO but gradually mutes and disappears at the ISO of the D700 increases.
I never could have imagined discussions 2-3 months ago trying to spot the differences between images of a top of the line FX with pro glass and a consumer class Dx camera with a plastic kit lens.
One additional note, the FL was kept constant so the FX camera to subject distance was adjusted to have the same field of view. That means the background is out of focus due to narrower DOF, which would have an effect on the apparent smoothness of the background on the D700. There was also a WB difference that affects the background color.
Very impressive indeed.
I can't wait to get my hands on for some portraits with my 85 1.4 or 70-200 for my own tests
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700
TomCurious
28th Oct 2010
intrepidnz
28th Oct 2010
km6xz Moderator
28th Oct 2010
charlie68
28th Oct 2010
pdekman Gold Member
28th Oct 2010
OpticalSerenity
28th Oct 2010
tommiejeep Silver Member
29th Oct 2010
jbloom Gold Member
29th Oct 2010
tommiejeep Silver Member
29th Oct 2010
jbloom Gold Member
29th Oct 2010
kwb49 Silver Member
29th Oct 2010

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Thu 28-Oct-10 12:08 AM
2318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

>I never could have imagined discussions 2-3 months ago trying
>to spot the differences between images of a top of the line FX
>with pro glass and a consumer class Dx camera with a plastic
>kit lens.

There's 3 years between the sensor release dates. If you try similar comparisons like D90 vs. D2X or D80 vs. D1 you'd probably have similar trouble to identify the image from the pro camera.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Thu 28-Oct-10 01:10 AM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

That's quite impressive, given that one is a DX sensor and the other is an FX sensor.

The obvious thing for me is that the D7000 pics have a slightly lower contrast than the D700 pics.

Cheers

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 28-Oct-10 06:55 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

The 18-105 has more T-loss and visibly lower contrast than the 28-70 2.8 used on the D700.
I was surprised how much contrast the 18-105 appears to have on the D7000. Using the same quality lens on both would have been even more revealing.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

charlie68 Registered since 25th Oct 2010Thu 28-Oct-10 02:48 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Using the same PRIME on each body would have been even better.

Charlie.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Thu 28-Oct-10 03:15 PM
1028 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 3

Swisher, US

Images have been updated, now using the same lens on both cameras.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Thu 28-Oct-10 05:14 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Sure to ruin the day of all the anti-DX crowd.

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Fri 29-Oct-10 09:19 AM
4390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 29-Oct-10 11:03 AM by tommiejeep

Goa, IN

I did not know there was an anti-Dx crowd .....I shoot both and most people I know that have Fx also have Dx...

http://www.bythom.com/index.htm

I think Thom sums it up pretty well....I'll wait for the next Dx...D400 or whatever. Still many unanswered Q's on the AF.

Edit: finally spent a couple of hours on Nikon Cafe looking for some feel on the AF. I could not find anyone that thinks the Cam 4800 on the D7000 is up to the Cam 3500DX or FX. BIF shots I have seen so far could have been taken with my wife's D40x...slow moving, at distance... and have yet to see any really decent fast action sports....

For many things it looks a great camera but not so great for others
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 29-Oct-10 11:58 AM
6060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 7

Wethersfield, US

Tom, my D7000 is slated for delivery on Tuesday. Next weekend I'll be shooting high-school football with it side-by-side with my D3, and I promise to post a full report. That's not as rigorous a test as BIF, but it may add something to the body of knowledge.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Fri 29-Oct-10 12:26 PM
4390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 9

Goa, IN

Jon, you're very good so I look forward to your results. A comment on fps would be nice. Looks like the monsoon is finally finished so I have sun, probably too much, for the next 6 months so the D300s should work fine. I am primarily interested for my young son. He has a D200 and uses the D300 but at nine a lighter and , in some ways, simpler, camera would keep his progression in photography moving forward. He gets discouraged with the iso limits on the D200. If the AF is decent I could always borrow it for early/low light mornings at the Pond, an extra stop would be nice.

Hopefully by the time I start thinking about the next monsoon the D400(?) will be a reality and time for my wife's semi-annual London trip (Grays of Westminister ).
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 29-Oct-10 11:52 AM
6060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I agree that it's pretty amazing how well the D7000 is showing in these comparisons, but I think the "top of the line FX" is the D3s, not the D700. The kinds of IQ performance gains we're seeing in the D7000 remind me of the comparisons people did between the D3/D700 and D3s sensors. The D3s was getting better IQ and at higher ISOs.

Truly remarkable, and I can hardly wait for my D7000 to arrive to put it through its paces.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Fri 29-Oct-10 02:10 PM
1454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Yet another test of D7000 vs. D700"
In response to Reply # 8

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

Jon... knowing you and your work from the sports forum, I anxiously await the arrival of your new toy. I hope it lives up to the hype so far. I have been very happy with my D90, but could really use the higher ISOs. Just waiting for a sports shooter like yourself to help me decide between it and a D700. I don't want to have to buy a new lineup of lenses and like the extra reach the DX body gives me, but will bite the bullet if I have to. I, along with several others await your report.

Keith

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #1300 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.