Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12966
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus issues? a dud camera?" Previous topic | Next topic
mrseshaw Registered since 27th Oct 2011Thu 27-Oct-11 07:46 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus issues? a dud camera?"

US

Hi there,

I think something is wrong with my new D7000, perhaps it's a dud?

The photos are often soft, and the focus seems off. I found a focus test page and gave it a shot.

The test page shot is located in my profile pictures, let me know what you think.

It seems like the camera is back focusing only on the left side of the image...? Weird.
I even overlayed a grid afterwards to make sure I had the test page perfectly straight.

Thought/opinions very much appreciated!!

thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?
elec164 Silver Member
27th Oct 2011
mrseshaw
27th Oct 2011
elec164 Silver Member
27th Oct 2011
TheDraftsman
27th Oct 2011
mrseshaw
27th Oct 2011
billD80 Silver Member
28th Oct 2011
Netadmin
31st Oct 2011
osfield Silver Member
31st Oct 2011
kuzzy Silver Member
28th Oct 2011
noveenia
28th Oct 2011
elec164 Silver Member
30th Oct 2011
mrseshaw
30th Oct 2011
elec164 Silver Member
30th Oct 2011
rhammers
03rd Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Some guidance on testing
Len Shepherd Gold Member
31st Oct 2011
elec164 Silver Member
31st Oct 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
01st Nov 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
01st Nov 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
02nd Nov 2011
Uncle Dubi
07th Nov 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
07th Nov 2011
Uncle Dubi
07th Nov 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
08th Nov 2011
Uncle Dubi
10th Nov 2011
Uncle Dubi
15th Nov 2011
Uncle Dubi
16th Nov 2011
TundraNut Silver Member
09th Nov 2011
mrseshaw
14th Nov 2011
distracted
14th Nov 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
14th Nov 2011
mrseshaw
18th Nov 2011
mikesrc Silver Member
18th Nov 2011
distracted
19th Nov 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
20th Nov 2011
distracted
20th Nov 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
20th Nov 2011
mrseshaw
07th Dec 2011
Uncle Dubi
07th Dec 2011

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 27-Oct-11 08:26 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 27-Oct-11 08:27 PM by elec164

US

Welcome to Nikonians!

One thing I noted with your test images is that it appears that you did not have the chart and camera aligned properly. If you look at the right side it seemed to focus on the proper point, but because of the miss-alignment your results are skewed on the left.

It is vitally important to ensure that you have everything aligned properly when making test such as this. With that close focus distance the DOF is so narrow that any miss-alignment will be blairingly apparent.

It might also help to post another one of your regular images that you feel is soft so that we can better analyze what is going on. For instance are you shooting raw or JPEG? If raw what editor are you using? Also what magnification are you viewing your images with?

The 16MP image when viewed at 100% is a much larger magnification than a 12 MP image. So while the 12 MP image may still look relatively sharp at 100% view, the 16 MP image will begin to look soft. Also the default settings for the D7000 are soft and many find they can up the sharpening in camera to 6 or 7 to provide better looking results (although many prefer to sharpen raw files later in an editor).

Just some of my thoughts to give you food for thought till others chime in.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mrseshaw Registered since 27th Oct 2011Thu 27-Oct-11 08:39 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

elec,

how can you tell that i didn't have the chart and camera aligned properly?
I even got out a level to make sure the page was laid straight, and used a tripod to ensure no shake.

I'll upload another pic from yesterday that looks grainy.

I recently upgraded from a D3000, and my pictures with that camera weren't as crappy.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 27-Oct-11 11:59 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 28-Oct-11 12:53 AM by elec164

US

>elec,
>
>how can you tell that i didn't have the chart and camera
>aligned properly?

If everything was perfectly aligned, then the plane of focus should cut straight across the page. Your plane of focus is higher on the left side then on the right (at a diagonal across the page) indicating something is askew (it doesnít need to be much and will not be visibly apparent). Trying to align this setup by eye is not going to be easy (I have used it and can state that from experience). I believe that is why it is designed with the mm markings on each side so that you can easily see a miss alignment and distinguish it from a front or back focus issue.

It is an extreme possibility that your sensor is slightly out of alignment (not probable but possible) or perhaps your lens is out of calibration/alignment.

Also you mention moving up from a D3000. At 10 MP viewing an image at full screen is a much less enlargement of the image then viewing a D7000 16MP image (if that is how you are determining softness, you still have said). At that much greater enlargement the D7000 images will look considerably softer then the D3000 images. Apparent sharpness is dependent on the amount of enlargement and viewing distance. Monitors are low-resolution devices. The average monitor is about 100PPI. A D3000 image at 100% is like looking at a print 38 inches wide from 18 inches viewing distance, the D7000 would be around a 50 inch wide print. Thatís a significant difference and would affect apparent sharpness.

Pete

edited to add:

I thought an illustration might help you see what I am seeing.

I donít know what focus point you were using, but generally you should have used the center one. The red x represents the center of the frame, which should have been the general area the center focus point would cover. But the focus point extends above, below and to the right and left of the mark in the viewfinder approximately one box in size in each direction. The black line is where I believe the focus plane cuts across the image. If everything was perfectly aligned, that line should have cut through the image horizontally, and should be about where the focus point was centered.

The real world sample you provided seems to be focused well, it just needs a bit more sharpening. If your aim is to get a usable JPEG straight from the camera, you should up the sharpening in the Picture control to about 6 or 7. How to do that is explained in the manual starting at page 133. Also it seems that the predominance of white tricked the metering and the image is slightly underexposed in my opinion, which would account for the noise creeping in (at ISO1000 you should have gotten a very usable image with little noise).

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Thu 27-Oct-11 08:45 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 27-Oct-11 09:03 PM by TheDraftsman

middlesex, US

Looking at your EXIF data you are also not supposed to shoot in that
low of light. Also, I agree that youíre not properly aligned, if you
are then, what you are seeing with your focusing issues, if you
really have any, are to do with the characteristics of your lens
wide open and not your camera. It's a lens test chart not a camera
test chart since you implied that the camera is the problem, most
likely there is nothing wrong with your camera.

I also agree D7000 default settings are soft to begin with. It's an
advanced camera for the advance user who's going to go in and make
the camera work for them. Give me 2 min to set up your D7000 and
I will make it out shoot your D3000.

The D7000 is as only as good as the user.

If you think you have a problem with your camera then post some real
world pics and letís see. Forget the test chart stuff.

Visit Current D90 Set-up.

http://fototime.com/{04CF383D-D221-4184-A88C-5F1B6AFC4AE4}/origpict/proudownerfinal.png

mrseshaw Registered since 27th Oct 2011Thu 27-Oct-11 10:15 PM
#4. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

draftsman,
thanks for your reply. I agree that i probably need to do some tweaking of settings. i have no clue where to begin!
I'm not trying to become a professional, just aiming for nice clear pictures of my kiddo.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 28-Oct-11 12:54 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>I'm not trying to become a professional, just aiming for nice
>clear pictures of my kiddo.

Post some well-lit pictures of kiddo, where the focus point is unmistakable (to the camera and the viewer), and it will be easier to see if there's a focus problem. Or, set up your tripod and focus on a cereal box filling the frame. Home-printed charts can be difficult in enabling consistent, reliable results.

BTW, on the D7000, you can go into the MENU and set your sharpness to 6 (up from the conservative factory default).

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Netadmin Registered since 16th Apr 2011Mon 31-Oct-11 12:41 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 19-Nov-11 01:20 AM by dm1dave

Fenwick, CA

>I also agree D7000 default settings are soft to begin with.
>It's an
> advanced camera for the advance user who's going to go in and
>make
> the camera work for them. Give me 2 min to set up your D7000
>and
>I will make it out shoot your D3000.
>
>The D7000 is as only as good as the user.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but...

I'm currently shooting with a D90, which I'm comfortable with and considering adding a D7000 as a second camera, as I share the D90 with my other half.
Your statement re: setting up the D7000.
Before I take the plunge, are there guidelines on the setup or do you have certain settings which you've found beneficial that may be overlooked by someone new to the D7000?
Thanks

Vince

osfield Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2008Mon 31-Oct-11 10:50 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

Glenrowan, AU

I would also like advice such as Vince asked for. I am used to the D700 but have the D7000 as a back-up and more portable due to weight.
I find the images very soft even when have altered the in camera sharpness.
What are these other default settings that can make it tack sharp?? Please share.
Kind Regards
Jan

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Fri 28-Oct-11 01:24 AM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Welcome to Nikonians.

While most of the "focus problems" seen here have turned out to be not equipment related that does not mean that yours is not. It does appear that you have either a bad lens mount on either the camera or lens or your alignment and test procedure was not accurate. I would guess the latter because I doubt the camera could have passed any tests being off as much as it appears from your image and you most likely would have noticed the problem on your D3000 if it was the lens.

As Bill suggests take some real photos and share the images and the particulars with us here and we can maybe provide some guidance. What AF settings were you using. What lens at what aperture, focal length and shutter speed? Where did you focus? If you have multiple lenses do you get the exact same results with each?

I will tell you that the D7k will be more difficult to get tack sharp images with at first for most people (that would include me ) but once you get accustomed to some of the nuances that appear to be mostly related to the increased # of pixels it will return rather amazing results.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

noveenia Registered since 25th Sep 2011Fri 28-Oct-11 11:45 AM
#8. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Delft, NL

I made the same test many times with my own D7000.

My recommendation is that put something such as a small cube on the paper chart with one edge exactly coincide with the center black line, which provides a perpendicular plane to the paper chart so that your focus position is guaranteed to be exactly at the center line.

refer to: http://www.whibalhost.com/_ss/_blog/2010/LA2-Prod-01-101124A-Blog-02.jpg

A single line printed on the paper doesn't help much for this test, since you never know where the focus position is.

Good luck!

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 30-Oct-11 01:04 PM
#9. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>A single line printed on the paper doesn't help much for this
>test, since you never know where the focus position is.
>

I realize this is a hotly debated and contested topic (as is evident by the other thread about this topic currently going on), and I have no desire or interest in taking a side one way or the other.

But to be fair, if you go to the article of the designer of that chart, you will discover that at one time he included a fold up flat target parallel to the sensor to be used. But after a while he decided that it was not only unnecessary, but also introduced more problems and errors in setup and results. And he provides quite a convincing argument of why itís unnecessary, as well as debunking the comments from many of the people whom disagree with the chart and its use.

As to the sample provided by Elizabeth, there are a number of setup issues that already have been pointed out. This is not meant to abash Elizabeth personally, but to illustrate the amount of difficulty anyone would encounter trying to self-test at home without the use of professional lab equipment and experience.

First is the lighting and as already noted it seemed insufficient. From my experimentation with this chart I noticed that a number of inkjet papers have significant texture to them and insufficient directional lighting can highlight that texture and has the potential of befuddling the AF system.

Second is that the chart is supposed to be used with the center focus point. I assume that the sample provided by Elizabeth is uncropped being that it is a perfect resample of a full size D7000 image. If so then as per my illustration either the center focus point was not used, or it missed the mark significantly.

Third is that, as I pointed out in illustration of Elizabethís example, the slightest miss alignment will significantly skew the results. If using that example and looking at the left side assuming the focus point and intended focus plane was on the line with ďfocus hereĒ, then the lens back-focused by about 7or 8mm. But if you look at the right side it indicates only a 1mm back-focus or dead on depending on how far out you carry the line. But if you take the center of the diagonal assuming the same focus area, then there is about a 3mm back focus. But weíre still not sure where the focus point was on that sample.

Regardless of your preference in test chart (Lens align system or 45 degree printed chart), unless you are meticulous in your setup you are going to introduce errors and get skewed results. And as per Nikonís recommendation, you should only use focus calibration if you are noticing a specific issue with a lens within a given circumstance. It was never Nikonís intent for it to be used as a general calibration for a broad spectrum of uses (specifically zooms at varying focal lengths and any lens at varying focus distances).

And being that this chart is only used at close focus distances, there is no guarantee it will provide satisfactory results at other focus distances. Although there are a number of Nikonians that have done so and report that it is their perception that it made a difference in the performance of their lenses and image quality.

For me the jury is still out, and I will continue to mostly follow these discussion, but unlikely to participate or comment (but as this post illustrates, that is subject to change without notice ). And for now my AF fine tune is set to off.

Pete

mrseshaw Registered since 27th Oct 2011Sun 30-Oct-11 04:49 PM
#10. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

thanks for the replies.
I followed my gut instinct and sent the camera off to Nikon for service yesterday.
I'll let you all know what they say.

elec...
regarding what you said: "either the center focus point was not used, or it missed the mark significantly."
The center point was used, and i pulled the image up in ViewNX2 to check, and the red square focus box is spot on the target.

anyways, sorry to open up a can of worms.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 30-Oct-11 10:25 PM
#11. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>The center point was used, and i pulled the image up in
>ViewNX2 to check, and the red square focus box is spot on the
>target.
>

Elizabeth, its not that I donít want to believe you, but the sample you provided speaks otherwise!

The pixel dimensions of 1800x1192 of the sample image in your gallery of the chart is a perfect resample size of a full capture D7000 file, so I am assuming no cropping just resampling. If you reference my illustration on your sample, the red X is the center of the frame, and the area that should be covered roughly by the center focus bracket. So it is my estimation that while the focus point you used was centered horizontally, it was one point down from center vertically.

If my estimation is correct and you centered the lit focus point on the ďfocus hereĒ line (you should be using single point focus for this test), then you have about a 3mm back-focus.

To confirm my suspicions, I tried to duplicate your test setup. I donít have a 35mm f/1.8 so I substituted my 17-55 f/2.8 set at about 35mm with a focus distance of about 1.5 feet. And I did my best to align, but as you can see I was off a bit.

The red X is the center of the frame, and area that would be under the center focus point had I used it. The yellow X is the focus point one click down vertically that I used for AF. The blue line is about where I believe the plane of focus cuts through the image. It appears to be about a 1.5 mm back Ėfocus being that the DOF at that distance should be about 49% front and 51% back.

Out of curiosity I overlaid your image upon mine, although it appears you were a tad bit closer, it is a pretty good matchup. Interestingly we both seemed to be about the same amount off in our alignment. And you will notice your smaller red x is centered upon my red x, although you seem to be a bit more back-focused than I am.

In the grand scheme of things, I donít feel 1 or 2mm is going to make much of a difference in most real world applications and the slight miss-focus will most likely be hidden in the DOF. The only time I see it becoming an issue is if you plan on doing a severe crop then enlargement. But then again if you use your 35mm lens at this focus distance often, then this is when Nikon recommends you use the Fine Tune feature to correct the back focus. But doing so is going to affect the performance at other focus distances.

So in my opinion your camera is fine and working properly, or maybe my camera is as defective as yours is!!!

Pete

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

rhammers Registered since 09th Jun 2007Thu 03-Nov-11 07:20 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 10

erie, US

>thanks for the replies.
>I followed my gut instinct and sent the camera off to Nikon
>for service yesterday.
>I'll let you all know what they say.
>
>
>elec...
>regarding what you said: "either the center focus point
>was not used, or it missed the mark significantly."
>The center point was used, and i pulled the image up in
>ViewNX2 to check, and the red square focus box is spot on the
>target.
>
>anyways, sorry to open up a can of worms.
>
Please follow up with what Nikon says about the camera, I think that I might have a similar issue, although not sure....

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 31-Oct-11 12:52 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Some guidance on testing"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

In both sample images the top corners of the test target are not equally offset in the picture area.
Sorry - that indicates your camera back was not parallel to the target - and also indicates why the zone of sharpness is not parallel to the black line on the target.
With a single line target absolute precision is needed for centering the AF target, and then AF can still be slightly off within the reduced limits of AF accuracy compared to a subject consisting of more than a single line of good readable detail.
From what I can see I think your camera AF is likely to be good.
AF accuracy checking is best done with a target parallel to the sensor consisting of plenty of good detail readable to the AF sensor line.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 31-Oct-11 01:23 PM
#14. "RE: Some guidance on testing"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>In both sample images the top corners of the test target are
>not equally offset in the picture area.
>Sorry - that indicates your camera back was not parallel to
>the target

With all due respect Len, I know you donít like this chart, but itís perfectly usable if used as intended (unfortunately some donít use it as intended).

Iíve already pointed out the issues with aligning this chart, and already fully admitted that the center line of the chart was not perpendicular/parallel to the camera sensor thereby causing the plane of focus to cut diagonally through the image field and not straight across horizontally the way it should if aligned properly. But the rotation should be centered on the focus point and is still usable to predict somewhat the focus plane (you cannot use the right or left side of the diagonal but the center).

Even a parallel target in which the lineup is not absolute perpendicular/parallel will provide softness on one side or the other with focus achieved somewhere in between. What a flat target without the 45 degree ruler canít show you is if the DOF is showing focus or the actual focus plane is being portrayed. That is why doing these home self tests without the benefit of lab equipment and experience is a #### shoot at best, or totally useless at worst.

And I agree, her lens and camera are functioning within specifications.

Pete

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 01-Nov-11 08:11 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Some guidance on testing"
In response to Reply # 14

Yorkshire, GB

>With all due respect Len, I know you donít like this chart, but itís perfectly usable if used as intended (unfortunately
>some donít use it as intended).
Nikon and Canon do not like this type of target either, but that is another topic
I can induce front and back focus using single black line targets - which in my opinion makes them unsatisfactory for focus accuracy confirmation.
>What a flat target without the 45 degree ruler canít show you is if the DOF is showing focus or the actual focus plane is being
>portrayed.
Most serious testers disagree this logic.
Shooting wide open at a close focus distance limits depth of field.
Shooting (on a good tripod) at nil, defocussing and shooting at say plus 3 and then again at minus 3 with a parallel target reading to 100 lpm or better enlarged to 100% is enough to show which of the 3 images has the highest resolution.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Tue 01-Nov-11 01:00 PM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Some guidance on testing"
In response to Reply # 16

US

> plus 3 and then again at minus 3

Len,

are you referring to AF fine tuning steps here?

Vlad

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 02-Nov-11 09:00 AM
#18. "RE: Some guidance on testing"
In response to Reply # 17

Yorkshire, GB

>are you referring to AF fine tuning steps here?
Yes

Len Shepherd

Uncle Dubi Registered since 07th Nov 2011Mon 07-Nov-11 09:25 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Hi All,
I bought the really great D7000 in March, but in the last few weeks I have had loads of trouble with the AF. Hunting, partial focussing, but never exact focussing. Nikon's help didn't and I am now preparing to send it back to my supplier for them to sort it for me.
Perhaps one of you guys has experienced the same problem and can give me a pointer or two. I don't really want to send it away, especially for an indefinate time.
Ted Jarrold

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 07-Nov-11 02:42 PM
#21. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 20

Yorkshire, GB

>in the last few weeks I have had loads of trouble with the AF. Hunting,
>partial focusing, but never exact focusing.
With no detail in your profile and no images it is difficult to constructively comment - other than to ensure the lens body and camera throat contacts are clean, and if shooting RAW some post processing is required with most high resolving cameras to get maximum sharpenwss.
I understand the OP is about to try a different focus target to see if he gets better results.

Len Shepherd

Uncle Dubi Registered since 07th Nov 2011Mon 07-Nov-11 02:53 PM
#22. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 21

GB

The AF is so far out that there is no point in sending a sample.
And it's the same with the several lenses I've tried out. The focus motor has also become quite loud so I suppose it must be that. I've been using Nikons for 50 years or so and never had problems before, though my D300 needed a new shutter button (?) after a year. Shop said it was humidity.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Ted Jarrold

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 08-Nov-11 09:31 AM
#23. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 22

Yorkshire, GB

>The AF is so far out that there is no point in sending a
>sample. And it's the same with the several lenses I've tried out. The
>focus motor has also become quite loud so I suppose it must be that.
It is still difficult to comment.
If AF is far out it might be subjects AF cannot detect, a camera fault has developed (unlikely to be a lens issue as you say several do not focus well), or even the camera has been accidentally set to manual focus.
The D7000 motor is not used with AF-s lenses. Without knowing which lens it is difficult to comment on the focus noise.

Len Shepherd

Uncle Dubi Registered since 07th Nov 2011Thu 10-Nov-11 08:53 AM
#25. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 23

GB

Dear Dave,
Thanks very much for the tip. I don't know DeoxIt but I tried out cleaning the contacts with a monitor cleaner and - fingers crossed - it seems to have worked, at least with the 18/200 I had on the 7000. Over the weekend I'll make proper tests and some big prints. I'll report back on Sunday
Thanks again, the Forum has convinced me to signup for the Gold Medal!

Ted Jarrold.

Uncle Dubi Registered since 07th Nov 2011Tue 15-Nov-11 12:15 PM
#29. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 25

GB

Hi Dave et al,
Fingers crossed the focus is still holding after wiping the contacts with monitor cleaner.
Hope that I can attach the low res pics (un-adjusted)I took yesterday. One during a rain storm - the tree top I focussed on is about 12 metres away. The rain-bow somewhat further. My pin-board was about a metre away. The others were taken before I had this problem. All are hand held as I'm a bit lazy. The landscapes show the Sea of Galilee with the Golan Heights behind it and an Arab village in the middleground. Taken from my garden, as I'm working in Israel at the moment. Any tips will be gratefully received.
I reduced the res and cropped a couple of the pics well below 300kb but one of them was judged too big. Sorry. The concert programme is easily readable in the original res.

Bye Ted Jarrold - Uncle Dubi

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Uncle Dubi Registered since 07th Nov 2011Wed 16-Nov-11 02:44 PM
#30. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 25

GB

Sorry but the quality of the focus just doesn't show up on the photos I sent yesterday. In the original all the ribs on the leaves really stand out, and the windows in the village 10 miles or so away. I was so pleased with them that I sent them on to you guys. Now I'm sorry. How can I Attach a photo so that the detail shows? Is it possible with only 300kb?
Ted Jarrold

TundraNut Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2009Wed 09-Nov-11 11:40 PM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri 11-Nov-11 12:24 AM by TundraNut

Albuquerque, US

I bought my D7000 back in May and have just started experiencing focus issues over the past past couple of weeks. Recent photos were just not quite crisp -- like the focus point was a foot in front of where it should have been. Over that time, I've reseated the lens numerous times, changed lenses (most 18-105, 35, and 70-200 VRII), etc. and still didn't get the results I was getting a couple of months ago when it was new.

Last night I went to Radio Shack and picked up some DeoxIt 5. Apparently, I had some issues with the contacts as everything seems to be working fine after carefully cleaning the body contacts with DeoxIt and a cotton swab. After cleaning the body contacts, I cleaned the contacts on all my lenses as well.

It's a longshot, but maybe DeoxIt will work for you too.

Dave

mrseshaw Registered since 27th Oct 2011Mon 14-Nov-11 01:00 AM
#26. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 24

US

wow! I have an update. I checked on Nikon Servicing website and my camera was broken...this is what the website said today:

In Shop
11/10/2011 Service Repair Rank B2 B2

"B2" means: "Moderate Repair, major parts replaced"

I hope I get it back before Thanksgiving.

distracted Registered since 15th Nov 2005Mon 14-Nov-11 01:57 AM
430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 26

US

I have sent my D7000 to Nikon twice. Both times parts were replaced. Currently my camera still has a focus issue! I hate this camera. I love the DR, size, etc. But I have never, ever, had a Nikon with focus issues like this that can't seem to be fixed?!

I put my focus point over the area I want in focus and the camera always focuses to the left and behind where the focus point is indicated. What would cause this?

Beth

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 14-Nov-11 04:02 PM
#28. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 27

Yorkshire, GB

>I put my focus point over the area I want in focus and the camera always focuses to the left and behind where the focus
>point is indicated.
Without images or links to images it is difficult to comment.
I assume the problem occurs with several points - which eliminates dust or dirt preventing light getting to a single AF point.
There are some modes where, if the system cannot accurately detect what is under the AF point, it can focus on something outside the viewfinder AF point, as can any Nikon particularly in dynamic AF.
If you set single point AF what happens?
In this AF mode the D7000 does not detect anything outside the viewfinder mark - if one does it is likely to be faulty.
For more detail on AF modes see pages 94 and 95 of the instruction book.

Len Shepherd

mrseshaw Registered since 27th Oct 2011Fri 18-Nov-11 07:34 PM
#31. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 28

US

Well, Anyone have a clue on how long Nikon repair takes? I called Nikon on Monday and and they said I would have by back by today (Friday). But it's still listed as "In Shop" on the service website.

Sadly, i have no back up camera for Thanksgiving and we're taking our son to meet his great grandfather for the 1st time.

mikesrc Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Fri 18-Nov-11 07:35 PM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 28

OKLAHOMA CITY, US

You know I've been messing with this focus deal for some months and think I've found the problem,ME. Went to my grandsons open house at school yesterday took a bunch of pictures and only one was out of focus and guess who caused it,ME. Checked EXIF and the ISO was too low,speed too low. Can't get a sharp picture at 1/15 handheld. At least I can't

distracted Registered since 15th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-11 11:33 PM
430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 32
Sat 19-Nov-11 11:47 PM by distracted

US

Been testing some more. If I dial in -15 in AF adjustment I get perfect focus with the kit lensat full zoom.

But, if I shoot wide angle it is way off. So now what? Is AF adjustment mainly for primes? Should I expect not to have to do this since the camera has been to Nikon TWICE for focus adjustment?

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sun 20-Nov-11 01:37 PM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 33
Sun 20-Nov-11 01:44 PM by Vlad_IT

US

>But, if I shoot wide angle it is way off. So now what? Is AF
>adjustment mainly for primes?

Beth,

I know it's not a perfect world On wide side you have greater DoF, on longer side of kit zoom, besides more shallow DoF, there is a softness effect, so you will need to step down the aperture anyway, that will give you more DoF. So i would recommentd to do fine focus adjustment for the "portrait" focus length - somewhere in the 65-85mm range for DX body.

Best regards,
Vlad

distracted Registered since 15th Nov 2005Sun 20-Nov-11 01:40 PM
#35. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 34

US

Is this a camera issue or a lens issue? Should Nikon have been able to fix this?

Beth

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sun 20-Nov-11 10:00 PM
#36. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 33

Yorkshire, GB

>If I dial in -15 in AF adjustment I get perfect focus with the kit lens at full zoom.
>But, if I shoot wide angle it is way off. So now what?
It is still difficult to comment without example images.
If a body is out of calibration it generally mis focuses by a similar amount in the same direction with all lenses at all zoom settings. Similarly a lens CPU causing the lens to focus at a wrong distance generally does so in a constant way.
This is not what you are reporting - which is why links to images could be useful.

Len Shepherd

mrseshaw Registered since 27th Oct 2011Wed 07-Dec-11 12:53 AM
#37. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 36

US

Finally got my camera back today! Missed it dearly.
The repair slip said:
ADJ AutoFocus operation
ADJ sharpness.
and then CKD- mirror angle, AF unit, shutter release, LCD display, shutter release, firmware upgrade.

Glad I went with my gut and sent it in. While it was away I picked up Mastering the D7000, and Understanding Exposure. So between having a now good working camera and reading a couple books, i hope my pictures improve!

Uncle Dubi Registered since 07th Nov 2011Wed 07-Dec-11 10:29 AM
#38. "RE: Focus issues? a dud camera?"
In response to Reply # 37

GB

I will also send mine in - soon. Don't really want to be without it.
And the problem seems to be intermittant. I was photographing sea birds last week at a Fish Farm! The focus problem came up and I fiddled with the little knob that changes the camera from AF to M. I noticed a really tiny free movement. I switched it again, a little more firmly, and got a good focus. May be something, may be nothing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Still gonna get the D300 out of the cupboard and send the 7000 in. A free check up doesn't cost too much.
Ted

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12966 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.