Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12959
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens" Previous topic | Next topic
cheuwi Registered since 09th Nov 2005Thu 27-Oct-11 04:49 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"

CA

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone here has tried using the 24mm PC-E lens on a D7000. I will eventually get myself a FX for this lens but since there is no replacement for the D700 or D3s insight, I am thinking of buy this for now and learn how to use it on my D7000...

Thanks in advance,
Cheuwi

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens
PeterBeckett Gold Member
27th Oct 2011
cheuwi
27th Oct 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
27th Oct 2011
cheuwi
28th Oct 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
28th Oct 2011
cheuwi
28th Oct 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
28th Oct 2011
cheuwi
29th Oct 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
29th Oct 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
29th Oct 2011
btbschwarz
30th Oct 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
30th Oct 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
30th Oct 2011
briantilley Moderator
30th Oct 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
30th Oct 2011
cheuwi
31st Oct 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
31st Oct 2011
cheuwi
02nd Nov 2011
PeterBeckett Gold Member
02nd Nov 2011
cheuwi
10th Nov 2011

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Thu 27-Oct-11 05:12 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Hi Cheuwi,
I own both items however, I normally use this lens on an FX body

Do you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer for you?

Pete

cheuwi Registered since 09th Nov 2005Thu 27-Oct-11 05:59 PM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Hi Pete,

I would like to know if the lens will actually mount (Thom Hogan said no but I have heard otherwise) on the D7000 due to the over hang of the flash. I intend to use it for landscape stuff so the inability to rise is not a priority for me. However, I do like to know if it can swing side to side or tilt up and down with no major issues.

It will be great if you can let me know...

Thanks again.

Cheuwi

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Thu 27-Oct-11 07:15 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

Hi again,
First, I have to say that my 24mm 1.35D ED PC-E lens has had its tilt mechanism rotated 90 degrees - just as most serious users seem to have had done. i.e., it provides the tilt and shift functions on the same axis. This is a very simple "modification" that can be done yourself, by a reputable camera repair shop, or if you have the time-and-money, by Nikon. I seem to remember that Nikon charges a little over $100 for this service.

OK, so having stated the "full disclosure", I confirm that there is no difficulty whatsoever with mounting the lens on a D7000.

***PROVIDED*** that the lens is used in the orientation which puts the tilt 'n shift on the vertical axis (when the camera body is in a landscape orientation) The ONLY limitation is that there is a small limitation in the range of upward shift as the lens body does touch the camera's flash housing before reaching its normal shift limit. There is no limitation whatsoever to tilt movements.

However, due to the control knobs of the shift movement, it is ***NOT*** practical to rotate the lens so that the T&S are on the vertical axis if the camera is in portrait orientation.

By the way, I have no doubt whatsoever that the identical comments would apply to an UNmodified lens on a D7000 as the tilt movement is way out in front of the flash housing and the shift movement would be unchanged.

If you have any further questions, I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Pete

cheuwi Registered since 09th Nov 2005Fri 28-Oct-11 02:09 AM
#4. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Thanks Pete...
So, if I mount one on my D7000 in landscape orientation, I can swing the lens side way with no limitation. I can also tilt it up and down but limited in the shift.
Sorry I am being long winded... any chance that you can include a picture with the setup so I can see it?
Thanks again,
Winston

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 28-Oct-11 03:10 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

Hi,
In order to communicate unambiguously, we have to standardise on terminology. To me, "shift" means moving the lens parallel to the surface of the sensor and "tilt" means moving the lens so that it its optical axis is NOT perpendicular to the sensor.

With the 24mm PC-E lens, as the tilt mechanism is furthest from the camera body/flash housing, there are no TILT limits imposed by having the lens mounted on a D7000 (whether-or-not the lens has been modified as described earlier.) i.e., the tilt could be either up/down or side-to-side, depending on whether the lens has been modified from its as-delivered configuration.

When on a D7000, SHIFTING is practical only in the vertical direction while the camera is in landscape orientation. There is no limit caused by interference between the lens controls and the body when the lens is shifted DOWNWARDS. However, the lens body does contact the flash housing slightly before reaching the end-stop of the shift mechanism when it is shifted UPWARDS.

If you still wish, I could take some pictures to illustrate what I've said, either tomorrow or at the weekend.

All the best,

Pete

cheuwi Registered since 09th Nov 2005Fri 28-Oct-11 03:24 AM
#6. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

very clear now... thank you so much for explaining to me.
have you tried the lens on a film camera such as a F5/F80?

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 28-Oct-11 04:58 AM
#7. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 28-Oct-11 04:59 AM by PeterBeckett

San Jose, US

Winston,
You're very welcome - I'm glad to have been able to help.

No, I haven't tried this lens on a film body, but my GUESS would be that there would be no limitations at all. That's based upon my belief that the overall pentaprism housings would be noticeably smaller than that of a DSLR whose housing also contains a pop-up flash. Maybe there's a compatibility chart somewhere on the Nikon website which shows how well this lens works with various bodies.

I hope you DO get one of these lenses as I'm certain you would enjoy the capability it provides. Post processing can go a long way to simulating the perspective correction that can be achieved in-camera by employing shift but IMHO, PP cannot even come close to simulating the enormous depth-of-focus that can be achieved in-camera by careful use of lens tilt! This effect is most evident in fairly close-up shots - but it does take time to set up such shots!!!

I used a monorail view camera for many years and became very used to having lens "movements" at my disposal. The PC-E lens provides the best equivalent functionality in the DSLR domain - however there are still occasions when I yearn for my 5x4in camera (but with a full size digital back, of course...)

Good luck,

Pete

cheuwi Registered since 09th Nov 2005Sat 29-Oct-11 01:02 PM
#8. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Hi Pete,

I am about to pull the trigger on this lens... BUT a buddy of mine reminded me that there is also the 45mm PC-E that I should consider... Since I can always stitch them digitally, perhaps the 45mm may give me a better flexibility. Especially when I go to FX, a closer to standard focal length may get used more - and I have to say I use my 50mm as frequent as my 17-35 currently on my film work... your thoughts?

Thanks again,
Cheuwi

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 29-Oct-11 02:39 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

Hi again,
Although I don't have access to either the 45mm or 85mm PC-E lenses, a careful look at pictures of them leaves me with no doubt that Nikon has used the identical tilt/shift mechanics on all three lenses. Therefore, all lenses in this family would be subject to the same limitations when used on a D7000.

With regards to stitching shots taken with the 24mm PC-E, I can only refer to a single personal experience. I was high up at the Marin Headlands, overlooking the estuary leading to the Golden Gate bridge with a lovely, wide, view on a day when the weather was co-operating! I set up for a panoramic series using the 24mm lens with a lot of downward shift. The series of shots looked pretty good! HOWEVER, when I tried stitching the series, neither of the stitchers I had was able to cope with the shots. (the GigaPan stitcher and Photoshop CS4's stitcher). I quickly concluded that these stitchers ONLY expect to be given images taken with lenses whose optical axis is centred on the sensor - and didn't pursue the topic.

In no way do I wish to suggest that this is a fundamental characteristic of stitchers in general - but it MIGHT be! Maybe I should post a question on the panorama forum to see if anyone can provide helpful comments on stitching such shots...

If you happen to be in the SF Bay area, let me know. Maybe we could get together sometime!

All the best,

Pete

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 29-Oct-11 04:11 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 9

San Jose, US

Well, I did post the question about stitching on the "Panorama" forum. It was quickly answered by Ernesto Santos. I suggest that you take a look - it seems I was too hasty in believing that I was up against a stitcher limitation.

Nevertheless, IMHO, the 24mm is the preferable lens within the family.

Pete

btbschwarz Registered since 20th Jan 2009Sun 30-Oct-11 12:04 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 9

DE

Hello Pete,
the three PC-E lenses may look the same, but in fact they are not.
First, the tilt mechanism of the 85mm works the opposite way. You can see this if you look at the orientation of the swivel-scale.
Second, the 24mm can not be mounted on the D7000 - at least I can't, because the flash-housing gets in the way.
The 45mm and 85mm can be mounted.
Greetings

Bernhard

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sun 30-Oct-11 02:21 PM
#12. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 11

San Jose, US

Hi Bernhard,
Thanks for the added information.

However, I have to repeat that I have no problem whatsoever mounting, and using, my 24mm PC-E on my D7000. As described previously, there are limitations with shift movement. I purchased the lens new and within the past year, so believe that my comments relate to a current lens design.

Later today I will take some shots showing the mounted lens and post them in this thread.

Pete
Afterthought: I wonder if the lens can only be mounted when its ROTATION is set correctly (the small, flat, lock that's close to the mounting ring allows rotation). I'll check this later...

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sun 30-Oct-11 05:14 PM
#13. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 12
Sun 30-Oct-11 05:16 PM by PeterBeckett

San Jose, US

Well, I'm very grateful for having to take the shots below, because I found that it IS possible to use this lens on a D7000 with the tilt axis vertical when the camera is in portrait orientation. See below for the simple procedure which allows this. Furthermore, when so mounted, there is NO shift or tilt limitation!!!

Let me remind everybody that I modified my lens so that tilt and shift are on the same axis, but it turns out that this fact has no affect whatsoever either on mounting the lens on a D7000 or shift limits. This is bacause the tilt mechanism is way out in front of the flash housing.

Landscape orientation, tilt and shift centred:

Landscape orientation, full downshift, tilt centred:

Landscape orientation, max possible upshift, tilt centred:

Landscape orientation, max possible upshift, full downtilt:

Landscape orientation, max possible upshift, full uptilt:

Portrait orientation, tilt and shift centred:

Portrait orientation, full upshift, tilt centred:

Portrait orientation, full downshift, tilt centred:

Here's the secret to mounting for PORTRAIT orientation:

The "secret" is to SHIFT the lens BEFORE attempting to mount it. This keeps the shift-lock knob from touching the flash housing and preventing the lens from being rotated far enough for it to lock. This is possible because the lock kbob is off-centre. Yes, there's not much clearance, but it DOES NOT TOUCH THE HOUSING. After the lens has locked properly in place, the FULL +/- shift movement can be used with the only inconvenience being that the shift lock knob is a little awkward to access if you've got "pudgy" fingers.

I hope the foregoing clears up any misunderstandings and has been helpful.

If there are further questions, I'd be very happy to try to answer them...

Pete

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)
Attachment #9, (jpg file)

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 30-Oct-11 05:43 PM
28675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, GB

Many thanks for the comprehensive post, Pete

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sun 30-Oct-11 05:50 PM
#15. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 14

San Jose, US

Thanks Brian - it was both a pleasure AND revealing!

Pete

cheuwi Registered since 09th Nov 2005Mon 31-Oct-11 11:25 AM
#16. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 15

CA

Thanks Pete for the pictures... should be ordering mine soon. Will let you know how it goes...

Cheuwi

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Mon 31-Oct-11 01:11 PM
#17. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 16

San Jose, US

You're very welcome.

Just make sure that the lens mount is rotated (using the little flat lock on the lens) so the larger control knobs are away from the flash/viewfinder housing when attaching/detaching the lens.

Pete

cheuwi Registered since 09th Nov 2005Wed 02-Nov-11 05:45 PM
#18. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 17

CA

Ordered mine... decided to go with the 45mm though...
Hopefully I will be shooting this weekend with it.
Thanks again for all your inputs.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Wed 02-Nov-11 07:46 PM
#19. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 18

San Jose, US

Hi Cheuwi,
I hope it all works out well for you.

May I suggest that you post some comments on this thread to indicate whether there's any significant difference between the 45mm and what I posted about the 24mm when used on the D7000?

Good luck!

Pete

cheuwi Registered since 09th Nov 2005Thu 10-Nov-11 01:39 PM
#20. "RE: D7000 with a 24mm PC-E lens"
In response to Reply # 19

CA

Just got my 45mm PC-E last night... no chance to take any pictures of it yet but mount well. No restriction in all directions for both tilt and shift.
Took a couple of shots with my D7000 and looks very sharp. Should be able to do more testing this weekend.
Cheuwi

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12959 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.