Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12888
View in linear mode

Subject: "A Call for Participation" Previous topic | Next topic
bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Mon 24-Oct-11 01:30 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A Call for Participation"
Tue 25-Oct-11 12:37 AM by bclaff

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

My name is Bill Claff and after a 2 1/2 year absence I'm returning to Nikonians.

I have a wide variety of photographic interests.
One is that I'm quite interested in how sensors work and designing procedures that ordinary people can use to test their sensors.
You'll find a wealth of information on sensors and other topics at my web site (the link is in my signature).
Of the tests that I have devised the one of most general interest is the Photographic Dynamic Range (old Nikonians post).

My data is now outdated, but you can help!

Anyone with a PC and a little time can get Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) values for their camera and report them to me.
To do so you need the NefUtil program and documentation from my site.
(start of edit)In the documentation there are instructions in the section entitled "The Photographic Dynamic Range Collaboration Option".
See "Dynamic Range Collaboration" in the section entitled Collaborations near the bottom of my main page for complete instructions. A link to another small program required for the test is in these instructions.(end of edit)

You may wonder: what has this to do with photography?
I have found that understanding the technology and my equipment has helped me be a better photographer.
The technical data is also helpful in making purchasing decisions.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Visit me at My site

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A Call for Participation
briantilley Moderator
24th Oct 2011
ericbowles Moderator
24th Oct 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
24th Oct 2011
bclaff Silver Member
24th Oct 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
24th Oct 2011
bclaff Silver Member
25th Oct 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 24-Oct-11 08:06 AM
28744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A Call for Participation"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Good to have you back, Bill

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 24-Oct-11 10:42 AM
8520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A Call for Participation"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Hi Bill - Great to have you back.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 24-Oct-11 11:45 AM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A Call for Participation"
In response to Reply # 2

Dyserth, GB

Hi.

In a bid to help I have downloaded both "NefUtil" and the instructions. The NefUtil is rejected when I press "run" to install the program into Windows 7 ultimate. As it's an .exe file I disabled the AVG firewall and both the Resident and Online Shields, but it's still rejected.

If you have any ideas then please let me know.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Mon 24-Oct-11 03:12 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A Call for Participation"
In response to Reply # 3

Richard,

Sorry for the difficulties.
The "exe" you downloaded is the entire program, not a setup file.
The program is used in a "DOS box", try it there.
Please take a look at the documentation and play a bit first.
If you're going to test your D700 that's great!
I may make a slight adjustment within 24 hours because I think there's a small computational bug with FX cameras; so hold off one day on the PDR.

Bill

Visit me at My site

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 24-Oct-11 03:23 PM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A Call for Participation"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, GB

Thanks Bill.

I wait till you've tweeked the software then I will be able, hopefully, to provide data for both D7000 and D700.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Tue 25-Oct-11 12:41 AM
#6. "RE: A Call for Participation"
In response to Reply # 5

Richard,

I've updated NefUtil (so download it again) and also revised my initial post.
I had forgotten that there is a more complete set of instructions on my site in a separate document.

If you have problems, please feel free to use Private Message or Email rather than exchanging everything here on the forum.

Cheers!
Bill

Visit me at My site

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12888 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.