Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12615
View in linear mode

Subject: "Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post." Previous topic | Next topic
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Thu 13-Oct-11 12:56 PM
1092 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
Thu 13-Oct-11 02:24 PM by Vlad_IT

US

Hi all.

After reading many posts about how confortable D7000 with the grip - I WANT ONE!!! Just I need to make a decision if I should go with the original one or cheaper version will be sufficient. Most important for me at this time to find out where do I put the grip purchase on my NAS list.

There is no doubt about that grip + handheld = love. But I’m afraid I will be forced to take the grip off each time I need to shoot from a tripod. And that’s will put the grip down on my wish list. BTW, how easy to take it off and put it on?

Can anyone test the following scenario for me and post result pictures. There are L-bracket for D7000 body and D7000 grip. This implies D7000 with the grip can be used on tripod. From my former-engineer’s point of view, the grip is just a physical layer of plastic between a tripod head and lens/sensor. So unless this layer is rock-solid it will undermine any investments into RRS or Gitzo, when using a grip. I need to know / understand if I must take off the grip before taking pictures using a tripod or it can be “On-Demand” feature, as sharpness of the image will remain good.

Please take a shot of something with text (or a photo chart) with grip and without grip, using a good tripod in “S”ingle shot mode (not “Q”), using remote release (to prevent human error), BUT WITHOUT 1 second shutter delay set on. This way we will find out how compromised (if any) sharpness is just from the motion of the mirror itself (meaning that any other physical force will compromise sharpness even more with using the grip on a tripod).

If would be great to find out if Nikon original grip performs any better than Chinese aftermarket one when on tripod.

Sincerely thank you,
Vlad

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post.
paul_7e Silver Member
13th Oct 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
13th Oct 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
13th Oct 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
13th Oct 2011
jules
13th Oct 2011
jodylud
13th Oct 2011
Uscbryan Silver Member
14th Oct 2011
jules
14th Oct 2011
jodylud
14th Oct 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
14th Oct 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
14th Oct 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
15th Oct 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
17th Oct 2011
km6xz Moderator
14th Oct 2011
jadiniz
14th Oct 2011
wmcy Gold Member
15th Oct 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
17th Oct 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
17th Oct 2011
juanm831
21st Oct 2011
jules
23rd Oct 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
23rd Oct 2011
jodylud
26th Oct 2011
LeventEryilmaz
25th Oct 2011
imagexcel
16th Oct 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
17th Oct 2011

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberThu 13-Oct-11 01:57 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have a D7000 with the Nikon MBD-11 grip and while I don't use an L-bracket, I have a camera plate attached to the bottom of the grip so I can mount the camera with the grip on a tripod. You can look at this link to see a sample of a Nikon camera with grip and a camera plate: http://www.kirkphoto.com/Quick-Release-Camera-Plates.html

This doesn't answer all the questions you have, but it does confirm that you don't need to take the "grip off each time" you need to shoot from a tripod.

Paul

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Thu 13-Oct-11 02:08 PM
1092 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 1

US

Paul,

Thanks for your quick answer. What I’m trying to figure out here is the not the ability to use grip on tripod, but for how much the grip is compromising the stability of the system, when using tripod.

I'm sure it does, but it can be negligible amount. Also it can be to the point that there is no reason to drag out Gitzo 3, with Q20 unless one will take off the grip.

Hope you don't take my curiosity/strive for knowledge as "i have nothing more to do" or something like that.

Thanks in advance,
Vlad

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Thu 13-Oct-11 02:05 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 0

South Lake Tahoe, US

I have the Nikon grip and although it is not 100 percent rock solid when trying to pull the body one way and the grip another it does a great job for me on my tripod with my 18-200 or 24-70 and many other smaller lens.

Your questions are sure to get many differnt answers from all us users. I can only answer what I know. I do know that I would not use the battery grip on my tripod if out shooting for the day as there is no need for it. The grip in my mind is designed for comfort for the hand while hand holding and for extended battery range.

I have heard some users of the nikon grip say that they put small peices of tape on the edges of the grip to try to make it more rock solid. That should say it all right there.

This is just my opinion, But If I wanted to really study exactly how the grip worked on my camera I would purchase one and do the test myself. I try to read between the lines of public opinion but really only I can answer my own questions with my own answers. You can always return it for a refund in not satisfied too.

Good luck. Don

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Thu 13-Oct-11 02:22 PM
#4. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 13-Oct-11 02:24 PM by Vlad_IT

US

>I have the Nikon grip and although it is not 100 percent rock
>solid

Don,

You just have answered half of my questions. Thanks. The grip goes on the bottom of my wish list.

As per trying it myself - I'm newbie here - have nothing to test with. I hope that besides professionals and Team members there are some people (enthusiasts) that will don't mind to do such test just for their knowledge. But you have answered my question - if the grip feel wobbly – there is no way it will not affect the picture quality on a tripod.

All the best,
Vlad

jules Basic MemberThu 13-Oct-11 03:36 PM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 13-Oct-11 03:43 PM by jules

GB

Hi Vlad,
I find the MB-D11 to be very solid and perfect match for the body, and at the price it should be! For me it was a very worthwhile additon, fits beautifully with very little movement or annoying creaking(I've got mine done up real tight). I have been able to "Fit it and forget it", it literally does just become part of the Camera. Try mailing the guys in these threads to see how they feel about the third party ones (Sure you've already looked!)
They all appear excellent value but some seem to have more problems than others...

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=12512&mesg_id=12512&page=

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=12478&mesg_id=12478&page=

Addendum, I recently did a little series on the Roman wall:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=162&topic_id=61956&mesg_id=61956&page=

All the shots in the link were taken with the Camera/Gripped/On a Tripod with the Tripod weighted down with the Camera Backpack due to the gusting gale force wind. Not scientific at all but I found there to be no loss in sharpness I could attribute to having use a gripped Camera, Like I said above "FIT IT AND FORGET IT!"

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Thu 13-Oct-11 04:24 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Go with the cheaper of the two, the Meike/Neewer at Amazon ($40.41) My battery grip fits very snug with the 14RC2 and Black Rapid FastenR-T1.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Uscbryan Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2010Fri 14-Oct-11 06:19 AM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 6

Irvine, US

Not to hijack the thread but I figured I would ask here rather than start a new thread. Would I be able to use the black rapid strap with the grip?

jules Basic MemberFri 14-Oct-11 07:55 AM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 7

GB

>Not to hijack the thread but I figured I would ask here
>rather than start a new thread. Would I be able to use the
>black rapid strap with the grip?

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=11954&mesg_id=11954&page=

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Fri 14-Oct-11 11:33 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 14-Oct-11 11:40 AM by jodylud

US

Bryan-

Yes, my uploaded photo above your comment includes the stainless steal FastenR-T1 that replaces the aluminum D-ring on the Manfrotto mounting plate for a more secure hold. I use the Black Rapid RS4 strap and all works well together.

The Black Rapid FastenR-3 is needed when the strap is used w/o a tripod mounting plate.

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 14-Oct-11 01:48 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 7

South Lake Tahoe, US

I use my black rapid strip all the time with mine. I use up to my 70-200 with the strap. Don

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Fri 14-Oct-11 02:14 PM
#13. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 12
Fri 14-Oct-11 02:15 PM by Vlad_IT

US

This thread became quite interesting. But still, can anyone (over the weekend) take two pictures of a chart (book/any text) with grip and without grip on a tripod without shutter daley set on? you know one picture worth ...

Thanks in advance,
Vlad

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 15-Oct-11 09:22 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 13

Phoenix, US

I really doubt you would be able to learn anything from a comparison set of images with and without the grip. The slight movement that has been noted is a rotational movement about the axis vertically through the 1/4-20 mount point. Any force applied to the camera grip system that could cause this movement would additionally cause severe motion in the camera-tripod system. The Nikon grip is made of metal and has excellent reinforcement by means of an additional metal plate at the threaded mount. In the normal range of forces applied to the camera the fit is not a factor in my opinion.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 17-Oct-11 06:29 PM
#19. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 14

US

>I really doubt you would be able to learn anything from a
>comparison set of images with and without the grip. The slight
>movement that has been noted is a rotational movement about
>the axis vertically through the 1/4-20 mount point. Any force
>applied to the camera grip system that could cause this
>movement would additionally cause severe motion in the
>camera-tripod system. The Nikon grip is made of metal and has
>excellent reinforcement by means of an additional metal plate
>at the threaded mount. In the normal range of forces applied
>to the camera the fit is not a factor in my opinion.

Dean,

I learned already enough from this thread to make my mind and go with cheap third party grip for hand-held only.

I do appreciate averyone's input as at the end the result (and desire to help) that counts.

Thanks a lot,
Vlad

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 14-Oct-11 08:42 AM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

I use the same grip, but paid $60 when it first became available. Now the going price seems to have fallen almost $20. Great deal.

Most of my shooting is hand held but when I do use the tripod, the grip is also in place and I notice no difference. It seems very solid.
With the hand strap also in-place the tripod threaded receiver is actually the one in the bottom hand strap fastener. I never use the Black Rapid connector on the bottom of the camera, only on the lens foot of larger lenses. It is just too easy then to simply let the strap support the lens as it is dropped to my side while mounting a smaller lens. The hand strap secures the camera and smaller lens.
I have not tried a "L" bracket since I do not have one.

I am cruising around Ukraine now for a month and sorry I did not bring my tripod.But traveling by bus and mostly train, every weight and size reduction is appreciated. The battery life of the D7000 continues to amaze me. There is no need for the grip to hold an extra battery since one powers it for days of shooting. In 4 months I have not once had the camera switch over to the spare battery so I might as well leave the spare in my backpack instead of grip.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Fri 14-Oct-11 01:16 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 9

Estoril, PT

My take on the grip is that it's main advantage is indeed hand-holding comfort, especially shooting in portrait orientation, and for me that was the deciding reason to get the grip. To this effect, screwing something to the base of the grip (a plate or a strap) kinda defeats it's purpose.

I can atest that my grip (Nikon) is both very solid and fast to remove/put-on.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Sat 15-Oct-11 11:34 PM
795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 11

Charlotte, US

I have the Zeikos grip for my D7000. I've had problems with it from the beginning. I now have a replacement from Zeikos and can only use the AA battery tray. The OEM Nikon battery tray doesn't work at all. Needless to say, based on my experience with two grips (the original purchased from B&H plus the faulty replacement from Zeikos) accompanied by the poor customer service with Zeikos, I highly recommend staying away from this particular third party grip.

Wm.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 17-Oct-11 06:35 PM
#21. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 17-Oct-11 06:57 PM by briantilley

US

Stan,
Thanks a lot. I value your input and help.
Vlad

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 17-Oct-11 06:36 PM
#22. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 17-Oct-11 06:38 PM by Vlad_IT

US

>Go with the cheaper of the two, the Meike/Neewer at Amazon
>($40.41)

Jody, Thanks a lot for your suggestion and the image.

i've decided to go with $40 one.

Vlad

juanm831 Registered since 21st Oct 2011Fri 21-Oct-11 06:41 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 6

US

>($40.41) My battery grip fits very snug with the 14RC2 and
>Black Rapid FastenR-T1.
>
>
>

Hi. I had a couple of questions regarding this grip. I had been looking into getting a MB-D11, but it was just too expensive! I came across this one and was ready to buy it, but I read somewhere that the command dials are reversed. Has this happened with yours? I mean, it's still definitely a great buy and I'll probably buy it anyways, but I just don't want to buy it and be surprised with reversed dials. Also, does the OEM EN-EL15 fit in it? I had also read that the genuine batteries do not fit with the included battery tray. I would really appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks!

---Juan

jules Basic MemberSun 23-Oct-11 05:20 AM
#24. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 23

GB

A comparison:

http://www.nikonreviewcentral.com/review/D7000_Battery_Pack_Comparison.php

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sun 23-Oct-11 03:22 PM
#25. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 24

US

Thanks, Jules.

That's exactlly what i needed.

Vlad

jodylud Registered since 07th Sep 2011Wed 26-Oct-11 01:39 PM
#27. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 23

US

Hi Juan,

Yes, the command dials on 'this' third party grip work opposite to the command dials on the camera body, regardless of the (-/+) f6 Customize command dials/Reverse rotation setting. Not a problem for me though, it all feels good.

LeventEryilmaz Registered since 25th Oct 2011Tue 25-Oct-11 07:24 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 6

US

>($40.41) My battery grip fits very snug with the 14RC2 and
>Black Rapid FastenR-T1.
>
>
>
I also have a cheaper 3rd party grip, Beware on battery drain issues on those grips,especially if you use two batteries: One in the camera one in the grip. Some have this problem some not (I think). I do have this problem but still it is a steal at this price compared to Nikon original grip.

imagexcel Registered since 11th Oct 2011Sun 16-Oct-11 03:37 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Vlad-- First of all, if I am using a tripod on a long lens, I will always mount the set-up onto the tripod using the lens mount. I will not mount any lens longer than 105mm using the body. All my lenses above that length have tripod mounts.

I have the MBD11. When mounted on a tripod using lenses of 105mm and under, I can see no discernible difference in sharpness between shots using the grip and not using the grip at non-macro distances. I may have lucked out in terms of how solidly my grip fits to my camera, as there is virtually no play whatsoever.

I have not used the grip when shooting critical macro, mainly because of clearance reasons, but also because it is simply not good practice. The fact that the camera is higher off of the mount adds instability and vibration, no matter how tightly the battery grip attaches to the camera. -BC

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 17-Oct-11 06:33 PM
#20. "RE: Grip effect… Please invest some time in this post."
In response to Reply # 18
Tue 18-Oct-11 03:14 AM by Vlad_IT

US

Bill,

thanks a lot. You are totally right that grip is for a specific purpose. If i'll ever buy a nikon micro - i'll take the grip off, if i'll do landscapes with wide lens- i'll take the grip off, for anynother application grip can stay on. I think i'll go with cheap one.

thanks again,
Vlad

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12615 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.