Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12605
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 raw file size" Previous topic | Next topic
Uscbryan Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2010Thu 13-Oct-11 08:08 AM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 raw file size"

Irvine, US

I hope this wasn't asked a million times and I missed it. I'm just curious as the why my files are twice the size with the d7000 compared to d90? Both shot raw. Looking at some of my d90 they were about 10 to 11 mb while the d7000 is about 20mb. It doesn't have twice the mp, so I'm guessing there is more to the file size than the mp?

Thanks you

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 13-Oct-11 11:36 AM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 raw file size"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 13-Oct-11 11:58 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

You may be confusing mega pixels with mega bytes. The D90 has 12.3 effective megapixels and 12.9 total megapixels. The D7000 has 16.2 effective megapixels and 16.9 total megapixels.

Another issue is related to compression. There may be different compression algorithms used for the two cameras. Even with the same algorithm, images vary in the amount of compression possible depending on the level of detail in the image. And once you open an image and edit it, the embedded small JPEG is replaced with a larger JPEG.

My experience is the compressed vary. I looked at a series of similar unedited test images. My "out of the camera" NEF files from the D7000 resized as small JPEGs are posted here. Both images have the same number of pixels and the same image data. The only difference is compression based on the image data in the file.

The first file was 16.2 mb. After opening this file in Capture NX2 and making a single edit (noise reduction - and only the original image is attached), the resulting file size was 18.7 mb. And the image size has not changed - it is always 16.3 megapixels.

The second image was 13.1 mb. There is more variation in the background, but more compression was achieved.

I'm not going to claim to be able to explain how the compression algorithm works. But I can comment on the result.

And by the way - I was testing whether AF would work using a 2.0 teleconverter on a 300mm f/4 lens. These are the extreme file sizes. Most of the files were around 14-15 mb. And for the record, AF does work with the center sensor even in relatively low light.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 13-Oct-11 11:42 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 raw file size"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well there are a number of things that affect file size such as image content, compression and bit depth. The D7000 has both 12-bit and 14-bit raw file ability and I believe the default is 14-bit. The D90 only has 12-bit.

Also the D90 I believe only uses visually lossless compression where as the D7000 uses by default lossless compression with the option to switch to visually lossless.

So summing up, The D7000 has 4 more MP, higher bit depth and a different compression scheme by default.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12605 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.