Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12314
View in linear mode

Subject: "Would lens made for FX Camera work as good as a DX Lens..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
shivajib Registered since 30th Sep 2011Fri 30-Sep-11 02:55 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Would lens made for FX Camera work as good as a DX Lens on D7000?"

US

I am planning to buy a D7000. If I would like to protect my investment on the glasses for a FX camera that I may buy later, should I buy FX lenses instead of DX lenses?

I understand that DX lenses would generate vignettes in a FX format camera hence not 'usable'. However, I understand that FX lenses can be used in D7000(DX). Would the result be as good as using a DX lense.

BTW, I am returning to photography after ages. I used a F2S extensively (20 years back) and a N70 for a brief stint. Never used a DSLR. Thanks for your patience!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Would lens made for FX Camera work as good as a DX ...
briantilley Moderator
30th Sep 2011
Reply message I am not RE: Would lens made for FX Camera work as good...
shivajib
30th Sep 2011
briantilley Moderator
30th Sep 2011
shivajib
30th Sep 2011
briantilley Moderator
30th Sep 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 30-Sep-11 03:20 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Would lens made for FX Camera work as good as a DX Lens on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

It's true that, in general, lenses designed for FX or 35mm film format will work on a D7000 camera. But there are a few factors to consider...

Some "FX" lenses are older designs, and there may be a newer DX design that offers improved performance. One example is the (FX) AF 35mm f/2D, which is from 1995 and is less good in most ways than the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G.

Wider-angle FX lenses tent to be of lesser zoom range and are typically larger, heavier and more expensive than a DX alternative. The widest-range superwide FX zoom Nikkor is the AF-S VR 16-35mm f/4G, whereas in DX we have the AF-S DX VR 16-85 f/3.5-5.6G

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

shivajib Registered since 30th Sep 2011Fri 30-Sep-11 04:19 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "I am not RE: Would lens made for FX Camera work as good as a DX Lens on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Paignton. So price performance wise, I maybe better off with the DX lenses, at least for now. As I am reviewing more and more comments, it seems DX sensors may have enough punch as a FX for all practical purposes and I may never have to buy a FX or even larger format Body ( Like a Mamiya) unless I get into extreme enlargement.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 30-Sep-11 05:03 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "I am not RE: Would lens made for FX Camera work as good as a DX Lens on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

Paignton is where I live - my name is Brian

I agree - I think it's a mistake to automatically assume that a FX camera is right (or necessary) for everyone. Many, many people - including some great photographers pro and amateur - produce wonderful prize winning images with today's DX cameras.

The DX format will not be disappearing anytime soon!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

shivajib Registered since 30th Sep 2011Fri 30-Sep-11 06:40 PM
#4. "I am not RE: Would lens made for FX Camera work as good as a DX Lens on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Brian, sorry for misunderstanding your name. I should do less multitasking .

I think I will go for all DX for now. Thanks again, Shivaji

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 30-Sep-11 07:44 PM
#5. "I am not RE: Would lens made for FX Camera work as good as a DX Lens on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

No problem

Further replies may be made in this duplicate thread in our AF Nikkors Forum, which is actually a better place for this type of question.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12314 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.