Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12272
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash Unit for D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
stanflyfisher Registered since 30th Nov 2007Wed 28-Sep-11 12:03 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash Unit for D7000"

US

Hello,

Which flash unit would you recommend for use with the d7000? I shoot outdoors most of the time and at sunset and indoors a little less frequently. Thanks for your recommendation.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash Unit for D7000
kentak Silver Member
28th Sep 2011
billD80 Silver Member
28th Sep 2011
km6xz Moderator
29th Sep 2011
mikesrc Silver Member
30th Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
30th Sep 2011
BassOverflow Silver Member
30th Sep 2011
gbowen Gold Member
01st Oct 2011
mdallie Silver Member
02nd Oct 2011

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 28-Sep-11 02:16 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Obviously the SB900 is the full-featured powerhouse, with a price to match. I have the SB600 and SB700. Both would serve you well for fading daylight and indoor use. I like the much more user-friendly controls on the SB700. If you're so inclined, you'll love the ability of either of these flashes to work remotely with the D7000's onboard flash in commander mode.

Kent

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 28-Sep-11 09:17 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Though discontinued, the SB-600 has performed well for me since 2007. I hear good things about the SB-700...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 29-Sep-11 04:36 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

If you need the power and focusing of the beam out to 200mm field of view, the SB900 is just the perfect solution. If you are primarily using fill flash with primary subject nearer to you, the SB700 will do almost all of what its big brother does. I have two SB900 and a Sigma EF530 Super. For normal use either model does fine despite the wide price difference. When you need to use a flash closer to its limits or using a power robbing modifiers like softboxes, or have more control of the light due to wider and narrower focusing range, the SB900 is hard to beat. My only quibble is that the flash Compensation value display is tiny so hard to read in the dark or from a distance. That is the only complaint, everything else makes the SB900 the best flash of its type.
The only one that in some cases is better(more power and staying cooler in rapid shooting) is the much more expensive Quantum flash with their external battery pack.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mikesrc Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Fri 30-Sep-11 11:40 AM
299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

OKLAHOMA CITY, US

When I bought my D7K I was going light weight so I'm using the SB400 which works very well when I need a flash.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 30-Sep-11 01:47 PM
3140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

I still use my SB800
Even though discontinued,
it is more than adequate for any of my uses.

BassOverflow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2007Fri 30-Sep-11 08:29 PM
419 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just go with the SB900 and be done with it.

~Joe in Western NC

My Nikonians Gallery.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 01-Oct-11 01:42 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

I have an SB-600 and a 700, both are great. 700 is becoming my go to unit though, with the 600 used as fill on occasion in a multi flash setup. The 900 is too expensive. I'd say go for the 700.

George

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sun 02-Oct-11 11:21 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Novi, US

When I bought my D7000 (my first Nikon), I wanted to make sure I had enough power, but the SB900 was too big and heavy. I bought a used SB800 and it has really worked out well.

Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12272 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.