Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12206
View in linear mode

Subject: "Broken shutter on D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Sun 25-Sep-11 02:39 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Broken shutter on D7000"

Lancaster, US

Has anyone experienced this as yet? Mine just broke today while photographing a XC race. Sounds like the camera in bulb setting but the shutter doesn't close. Got the ERR message in the display window, took everything off (lens, battery, card) and nothing fixed it. Took the lens off, lifted the mirror and sure enough, looks like a window blind that collapsed on itself.

Bought it nine months ago, sent in the warranty card but I'm expecting Nikon to tell me it's not their problem and it's going to cost me $$$ to fix.

Thoughts?

Visit my home page and photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Broken shutter on D7000
briantilley Moderator
25th Sep 2011
blw Moderator
25th Sep 2011
Nocanrun Silver Member
26th Sep 2011
billD80 Silver Member
26th Sep 2011
Nocanrun Silver Member
26th Sep 2011
dm1dave Administrator
26th Sep 2011
mslayer
26th Sep 2011
billD80 Silver Member
26th Sep 2011
FearSys
26th Sep 2011
briantilley Moderator
26th Sep 2011
Nocanrun Silver Member
27th Sep 2011
                    Reply message 08-October UPDATE: Broken shutter on D7000
Nocanrun Silver Member
09th Oct 2011
                         Reply message RE: 08-October UPDATE: Broken shutter on D7000
ericbowles Moderator
09th Oct 2011
Nocanrun Silver Member
09th Oct 2011
paddlenut
09th Oct 2011
Nocanrun Silver Member
11th Oct 2011
ericbowles Moderator
11th Oct 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
11th Oct 2011
                    Reply message 12-Oct UPDATE Broken shutter on D7000
Nocanrun Silver Member
13th Oct 2011
                         Reply message RE: 12-Oct UPDATE Broken shutter on D7000
ericbowles Moderator
13th Oct 2011
Nocanrun Silver Member
13th Oct 2011
greenday Silver Member
13th Oct 2011
billD80 Silver Member
13th Oct 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
13th Oct 2011
kstrongs
19th Mar 2013
Len Shepherd Gold Member
13th Oct 2011
Nocanrun Silver Member
14th Oct 2011
avm247 Moderator
14th Oct 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
15th Oct 2011
Nocanrun Silver Member
18th Oct 2011
jules
18th Oct 2011
waldo647 Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
waldo647 Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
waldo647 Silver Member
16th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
16th Mar 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 25-Sep-11 08:57 AM
28756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

A shutter should not break within 9 months - unless you have been using the camera extremely hard or have damaged the shutter yourself (perhaps by a failed attempt to clean the imaging sensor). What is the camera's actuation count?

I would be pretty confident that Nikon will fix it under warranty, but only they can tell you for sure.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 25-Sep-11 01:07 PM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The usual reason that I know of for a shutter to go as early as this is a (big) impact. A friend had to replace the shutter on a D3 a couple of years ago when it fell out of an ATV... and of course something like that Nikon definitely would tell you it's not under warranty.

However, if there's some other non-abuse reason for the shutter to be busted, it almost certainly would be covered under warranty.

By the way, shutter replacements run about $400, so it's not a truly crushing blow, even if it is something nobody wants to pay. That's more or less independent of model; I had an FM2n shutter cost almost that much many years ago, the D3 above was about $425, and someone else had a different model (D200? not sure) replaced for about $385.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Mon 26-Sep-11 02:05 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Lancaster, US

This is the sort of response that I expect from Nikon. Actuation count is around 15k.

The camera is in pristine condition, has never been dropped, abused or even looked at cross-eyed. But it comes down to my word against theirs and guess who wins? God forbid it is a defective part...

Sorry for being cynical, I went through this same BS with Tamron with a lens and would up paying for the repairs.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 26-Sep-11 02:45 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Sorry for being cynical, I went through this same BS with
>Tamron with a lens and would up paying for the repairs.

If the camera isn't showing glaring signs of abuse, and you have proper documentation for warranty, the chances are they'll fix it for nothing. If they don't, then it's time for cynicism, and action, like contacting the vendor where you bought it..., etc.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Mon 26-Sep-11 02:07 AM
#4. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Lancaster, US

>By the way, shutter replacements run about $400, so it's not a
>truly crushing blow, even if it is something nobody wants to
>pay.

$400 is a crushing blow to me...I don't have that burning a hole in my pocket.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 26-Sep-11 05:34 PM
11306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Lowden, US

Don’t give up on Nikon yet. You chances are good that it will be covered under warranty.

Let us know what they say after you sent in the camera.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

mslayer Registered since 26th Sep 2011Mon 26-Sep-11 08:02 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I had this same thing happen with my D7000. I was on vacation at Disney last pic camera took there was a black line diagonal across the frame. Tried everything you discribed, with no luck. I was a bit upset being I was on vacation. I did have a p&s for back up luckily. Sent camera in to Nikon and they covered the repair however you have to cover the cost to ship to them. I had never bumped or dropped camera and I had only about 6k actuations. Only 4months old. I think this is somewhat of a common occurance because there is a you tube video showing the problem. Took about two weeks to get it back. Seriously thought about trading it in for a 7D after getting it back. So far no problems. But would hate to have it happen once its out of warranty.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 26-Sep-11 08:29 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>I think this is somewhat of a common occurance because there
>is a you tube video showing the problem.

Oh, I bet it's kinda rare...

Can you post a link to the YouTube video you mentioned?

FearSys Registered since 13th Jun 2009Mon 26-Sep-11 08:49 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Clayton, US

http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com has a quick turn around for repairs. They are well known and reputable.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 26-Sep-11 09:06 PM
28756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

>I think this is somewhat of a common occurance because there
>is a you tube video showing the problem.

Happily, it is not common.

Until this thread, no member had reported a similar problem here

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Tue 27-Sep-11 12:41 AM
#11. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Lancaster, US

Thanks all for the input, some of which has instilled some hope that it is covered under warranty. No, I haven't given up on Nikon...besides, too much invested in lens that fit the Nikon.

Dropped it off at the retailer I bought it from, paid for the shipping and documented everything and off it goes to Nikon. Said it would take about two weeks.

Novenas have started!

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Sun 09-Oct-11 01:09 AM
#12. "08-October UPDATE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 11

Lancaster, US

OK, after two weeks without hearing anything from Nikon or the retailer, I have to make inquiries myself and of course Nikon will not speak to me but only through the retailer.

Bottom line, I have to pay for the repair, $160 plus shipping. The simply told the retailer that the shutter flaps were bent which implied that I must have bent/broke them when doing a sensor cleaning? Really?

First, I've never had to clean my sensor...secondly, I never knew where the shutter was until I took it in to the retailer where he showed me where it was AFTER it broke...and finally, no, I've never dropped or hit the camera against anything that would cause damage to the camera.

So, bottom line, Nikon does not stand behind their product warranty. This was a defective shutter in my eyes and it was a matter of time before it broke. Sorry, if they can imply that I damaged the camera by dropping or hitting the body against something to cause damage, I can sure as hell imply that they have defective parts in their product. My word against theirs but I don't have the deep pockets of a multinational corporation. But I can put my thoughts down in a blog, Facebook or web site stating my case to the consumers. It won't do a damn thing I am sure but I'll feel better!

I will be paying for the repair because I do not want to own an expensive paperweight and quite simply, it is the most cost effective way to go. But it really burns me that I make the investment in a Nikon system with lens and such and they don't honor their warranty.

Buy Canon folks!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 09-Oct-11 12:41 PM
8523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: 08-October UPDATE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

The normal course of appeal would be to escalate through Nikon Service.

If you don't have any luck there, try escalating through your retailer to the local or regional Nikon rep.

Don't stop appealing the repair cost until you have gotten a positive action or have made your way to a senior level person.

If the shutter was bent, possible sources of the problem are a previous purchaser at your retailer, your retailer, or Nikon Service when examining or removing the damaged shutter. The shutter is not a part you would normally touch - and it sure makes sense that an effort to "fix" a stuck shutter or to remove it could cause damage.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Sun 09-Oct-11 09:31 PM
#14. "RE: 08-October UPDATE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 13

Lancaster, US

Thanks Eric, I will give it a shot.

paddlenut Registered since 08th Oct 2011Sun 09-Oct-11 11:06 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: 08-October UPDATE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

belmar, US

I have had two lenses in for repair at NIkon..wow..quick turn around..great service..and no charge. ..one lens I actaully had dropped..and a small piece of plastic cracked off lens..they fixed it for free. I have nothing bad to say about Nikon..so far so good.

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Tue 11-Oct-11 04:33 AM
#16. "RE: 08-October UPDATE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 15

Lancaster, US

>I have had two lenses in for repair at NIkon..wow..quick turn
>around..great service..and no charge. ..one lens I actaully
>had dropped..and a small piece of plastic cracked off
>lens..they fixed it for free. I have nothing bad to say about
>Nikon..so far so good.

Well, that shows consistency in applying warranty coverage. I must not be going through the right people to get it fixed. Just a thought, do the reatailers get a kickback on repairs from Nikon when reapirs are not covered by warranty?

Glad you were able to get things covered under warranty though!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 11-Oct-11 09:46 AM
8523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: 08-October UPDATE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 16

Atlanta, US

To my knowledge retailers have no benefit from service related work - its a service for the retailer's customers. Some retailers charge a small fee for handling such work. Nikon has special customer service for retailers permitting access to inquiries in come circumstances.

I've had retailers involved in 2 or 4 service claims. Both were with new merchandise. On the first, the retailer had no leverage and actually slowed down the process. On the most recent, the retailer was able to call and accelerate my repair (but it was a brand new 600 f/4 that had never worked at all).

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 11-Oct-11 07:56 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Yorkshire, GB

>there was a black line diagonal across the frame.
Digressing slightly this sounds like a sensor issue rather than a shutter fault - which Nikon sorted under warranty.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Thu 13-Oct-11 12:23 AM
#19. "12-Oct UPDATE Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 18

Lancaster, US

27-Sept - Camera sent in by retailer

08-Oct - dealer calls with news Nikon is going to charge me for repair not under warranty. Camera was bought in January 2011.

12-Oct - called dealer to get status of repair. They call back two hours later stating Nikon will repair in 10-14 days. I call Nikon to "discuss" situation about not repairing under warranty and the amount of time it is taking them to get back to the dealer with repair news and the
amount of time it is going to take to repair. They won't speak to me without retailer's account number. Call dealer and they are reluctant to give me the information.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? From some of the replies and other Nikon owners that I have spoken, no one has been treated like this. Where is the consistency in applying warranty service?

You ask why I'm pissed...go figure!!!!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 13-Oct-11 02:06 AM
#20. "RE: 12-Oct UPDATE Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 19

Atlanta, US

Your dealer has to be your advocate - that's why they shipped it instead of you. Either they can figure out how to escalate or give you the information to do it yourself.

I'd go up the chain at the retailer. If they want your business - and positive feedback to others - they need to do something.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Thu 13-Oct-11 02:47 AM
#21. "RE: 12-Oct UPDATE Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 20
Thu 13-Oct-11 02:49 AM by Nocanrun

Lancaster, US

Thank Eric...I did speak to Nikon and the rep was pleasant and did try to help me but when I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was told the supervisor was "too busy"...9pm ET and he's too busy to speak with a customer...hmmm?

I will call my retailer tomorrow and demand action.

I really don't understand this hierarchy/chain of command thing with Nikon...I am the customer, I am the owner of the device that broke. Why can't I speak with Nikon about MY camera? The retailer is the conduit/depot to send/receive orders and repairs but you are right, they should be stepping up to assist me.

Refer Nikon to others, yeah right!

greenday Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2007Thu 13-Oct-11 09:16 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: 12-Oct UPDATE Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 21

Nepean, CA

Have to say that I feel Nikon couldn't care less once they have sold their products. I had a miserable time with the well documented dead battery syndrome which took forever to resolve. Their attitude to the dead battery issues I had were appalling. They had a known issue with dead batteries and did nothing, never contacted me, although they knew that there were problems and they had my contact information, which they require from you when registering the warranty. I guess that is just so they can sell the information. I am generally happy with the products but Nikon as a company? Awful! I still worry about my decision to buy the D-7000, hope it does not develop the problems that plagued the D-200 300 series.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 13-Oct-11 12:18 PM
#23. "RE: 12-Oct UPDATE Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 22

US

I
>still worry about my decision to buy the D-7000, hope it does
>not develop the problems that plagued the D-200 300 series.

The Nikon D7000 is but the latest in a string of super-high quality DSLR's, that easily compete with and often exceed their competition. So I wouldn't worry too much. As to problems that "plagued" the D200 300 series? Oh, please...

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 13-Oct-11 12:53 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: 12-Oct UPDATE Broken shutter on D7000"

Yorkshire, GB

>Have to say that I feel Nikon couldn't care less once they have sold their products.
Your profile says you are very pleased with your Nikon gear
It also says you shoot mainly under water - not a common photographic activity. It requires a waterproof housing to keep the camera and lens dry.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Tue 19-Mar-13 12:49 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: 12-Oct UPDATE Broken shutter on D7000"

St. Thomas, CA

>Have to say that I feel Nikon couldn't care less once they
>have sold their products. I had a miserable time with the well
>documented dead battery syndrome which took forever to
>resolve. Their attitude to the dead battery issues I had were
>appalling. They had a known issue with dead batteries and did
>nothing, never contacted me, although they knew that there
>were problems and they had my contact information, which they
>require from you when registering the warranty. I guess that
>is just so they can sell the information. I am generally
>happy with the products but Nikon as a company? Awful! I
>still worry about my decision to buy the D-7000, hope it does
>not develop the problems that plagued the D-200 300 series.

I have only dealt with Nikon Canada.
The service centre is only a couple hours away from me. I always bring the cameras in to them.
I have had extremely good service from them. I think because I drive/send it to Nikon it makes a difference. Maybe if you would of sent it to Nikon, I don't know, they may not believe the camera shop where (Demos) but they may believe the customer more.
I would call Nikon USA. Speak to their Service department. Explain how and what happened to the shutter. Be polite. I would bet they would be able to help you. They would know if this has happened before, on other D7000's.
Good luck. If Nikon does not help you, I would see if the Camera shop you purchased this and I assume other stuff from can cover the repair.
The camera shop should help you on this.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 13-Oct-11 01:27 PM
#25. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

I have not experienced this type of problem in 12 years using Nikon - including 9 months with a D7000.
A minor but important issue to resolve is are you or is the retailer now dealing with Nikon?
A greater difficulty is how did the shutter blades get bent?
You said "They simply told the retailer that the shutter flaps were bent which implied that I must have bent/broke them when doing a sensor cleaning?".
I do not know what Nikon implied but my understanding is
1/ shutter blades do not get bent during shutter operation unless there is first a breakage of a shutter part
2/ if the blades are bent it is possible this happened from an external source - and this this is only likely to happen on a DSLR when the mirror is up and the shutter is open.
3/ Nikon build in several safety features to prevent damage during a sensor clean due to premature closing shutter blades perhaps trapping a cleaning swab. Not following the procedures is possible - with risk of damage to the shutter.
You mention the retailer showed you the shutter before sending it to Nikon - this seems to confirm the blades were bent before it was shipped to Nikon.
The implication is Nikon think the blades were not bent by a mechanical shutter fault - and therefore not covered by the warranty.
What is not clear is whether or not the shop accept Nikon's diagnosis. Nikon's diagnosis seems to be a shutter blade impact.
The best way to escalate the issue is to upgrade your complaint, possible in writing, by name, to a Nikon service manager, or director of the shop.

Len Shepherd

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Fri 14-Oct-11 02:04 AM
#26. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 25
Fri 14-Oct-11 02:06 AM by Nocanrun

Lancaster, US

Then it must have been some sort of "immaculate defect-ion" that bent the blades/vanes in the shutter because there was no drop, no bang or any sort of camera body abuse itself. I'm sorry that no one believes me when I say that but all my camera equipment is in pristine condition.

I'm at the point now where I really don't care anymore other than getting my D7000 back.

However, I will go out of my way to tell potential buyers to beware of Nikon's warranty policy and to deal with Nikon directly rather than going through a retailer.

Sorry for the venting folks but I am afraid this is what customer service has come down to nowadays...it's an absolute shame.

End of rant, end of thread...thanks to all for your thoughts!

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 14-Oct-11 04:15 AM
18404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 26

Rancho Cordova, US

If you bought the camera with a credit card, you might have sort of buyers protection that will cover the cost of repair. You never know.

Sorry to hear of the problem.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 15-Oct-11 08:04 AM
#28. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 26

Yorkshire, GB

>I'm sorry that no one believes me when I say that but all my camera equipment is in pristine condition.
It is not that no-one here believes you.
The problem is Nikon have initially taken the view the damage has been caused by an external source and not an internal mechanical shutter fault.
If Nikon are wrong this can only be determined by getting your complaint escalated and a re examination of the shutter mechanism.

Len Shepherd

Nocanrun Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2008Tue 18-Oct-11 04:04 AM
#29. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Lancaster, US

WHO-RAH! Got my D7000 back from Nikon. Shutter mechanism was replaced, sensor cleaned, auto-focus adjusted and firmware updated..all for $160 plus shipping and tax.

It came back shrink wrapped so now I'm afraid to take it out to use it less something else break.

Anyway, fast turnaround when they finally called to get the OK. Still don't like the attitude of that supervisor but...

Again, thanks all for your two cents...it's been entertaining!

Cheers!

jules Basic MemberTue 18-Oct-11 04:00 PM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 29
Tue 18-Oct-11 04:03 PM by jules

GB

Try to put it behind you now and just go out and enjoy the Camera! (Again)
All the shenanigans can leave you feeling bitter, I've been there a few times with Nikon myself but also in the last two years with canon and Pentax, both times with brand new products, with Nikon with F100's, Capture Nx and two 200-400 lenses!
Strangely the only manufacturer that has given me consistanly good service as far as Photographic kit is...SONY!
And they are supposed to be terrible...
Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

waldo647 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Tue 12-Mar-13 09:07 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 30
Tue 12-Mar-13 09:08 PM by waldo647

SF Bay Area, US

My D7000 shutter also broke/jammed during an outdoor walk last Sunday. The camera is on its way to California Precision in Sacramento. The telltale black diagonal stripe across the left third of the last image seems to be indicative.

I haven't cleaned the sensor in 3 months. Where I'm curious is whether carrying the camera, lens pointing down, in a Tenba Courier-style bag on bumpy bus 4 days a week for an hour long bus ride (both directions) could precipitate this?

How robust is the D7000? I'm hearing the D7100 is closer to the D300 in being professional strength.

I bought this camera in December 2010, and it only has around 30,000 shutter actuations. Most of my work now is pro-bono event shoots for non-profits with no budget for a pro photographer, which I strongly advocate, btw. I've turned down shoots where I knew they could afford a pro.

Thanks for any thoughts,
- Chris

waldo647 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Wed 13-Mar-13 09:30 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 31

SF Bay Area, US

California Precision received my camera today and called with estimate: $355.

Tech also says no unusual wear, no indications of any impacts, etc. He also didn't think my bringing my camera in the Tenba bag on the bus was a factor, based on what he saw.

He is hoping to have repair done next Mon or Tues, if the part comes in.

Any thoughts welcome...

Thanks,
- Chris

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 14-Mar-13 12:56 AM
#33. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 32

US

>California Precision received my camera today and called with
>estimate: $355.
>
>Any thoughts welcome...
>

Is this an authorised service center? What are they replacing? Why? And what do they think caused the issue? Is this something they've seen a lot of?

I'd be, well let's say, not happy... Maybe a polite letter to Nikon... ANYTHING can break... The D7000 is rated at 150,000 actuations. Can some fail at 1000? 100? Absolutely. But they normally don't.

Still, I'd appeal to Nikon for warranty repair because it would seem your experience is WELL outside the norm.

waldo647 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 11:06 PM
#34. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 33

SF Bay Area, US

The camera is back and it seems to be fine now looking at some initial test shots.

When I talked to my Pro shop, they said Nikon could take up to 4 weeks, and that given the Dec 2010 purchase date, there was zero chance of warranty coverage.

The camera was sent into Camera Precision on Monday. It was supposed to arrive there Wednesday morning. I got a call from them Wednesday right after lunch. I had paid the $25 rush charge, and they said they would try to get it out ASAP, once the part came in. Thursday, I got a call at lunch time saying the camera was ready to ship. It arrived home yesterday at before lunch. First chance I had to put it all back together & try some test shots was about 2 hours ago. The shots look fine.

Charges were Parts $98, Tax $7.84, Labor $200, Shipping/handling $25, Rush charge $25, Total $355.84. The shutter mechanism was replaced (with a new one), and the shutter release repaired, plus a general check and clean (sensor, too).

The tech I talked there said he saw nothing that might have caused this failure, it just failed, i.e. it was nothing I did or could have done in this situation. My method of carrying the camera to work 4-5x weekly on a bumpy bus, 1 hour each way, probably had nothing to do with it.

I also talked with a fairly technical guy in a retail store (waiting on friends to arrive for the lunch Wednesday). He actually uses the Nikon authorized repair facility in Phoenix, AZ, saying he found they had lower volume and faster turnaround times. Maybe I just got lucky, but I can't complain about the Sacramento shop's turnaround.

The second tech confirmed what I'd already heard. These random failures can occur on any body, pro bodies as well. The shutter is a highly specialized mechanical device, and, yes, in a very small percentages of cases, it can fail. He also said that most pros (or anyone doing a lot of photo shoots) usually has a backup camera. I actually was using my D80 as a backup, and still could, except it doesn't have the low light performance.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 11:24 PM
#35. "RE: Broken shutter on D7000"
In response to Reply # 34

US

>The camera is back and it seems to be fine now looking at some
>initial test shots.

Well, aren't you happy! I'd be. I'm glad you've got your camera back.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12206 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.