Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12165
View in linear mode

Subject: "Autofocus Dead" Previous topic | Next topic
DocPMD Registered since 17th Jun 2011Thu 22-Sep-11 08:47 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Autofocus Dead"

US

I grabbed my camera today to take a few quick shots and the autofocus on the camera is completely dead. When I press the shutter release, the red focus box in the viewfinder flashes as if it is focusing, but there's no movement in the lens.

I tried all of the different settings to no avail. Switches on camera and lens were in correct positions.

I thought the lens might be the problem so I tried another - no luck.

I tried taking the battery out for a few minutes and that didn't work, either.

Anything else I should try before I take it into the shop?

Thanks,
Phil

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Autofocus Dead
skibbyshot Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
DocPMD
23rd Sep 2011
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Sep 2011
kuzzy Silver Member
23rd Sep 2011
dewhite44 Gold Member
23rd Sep 2011
billD80 Silver Member
24th Sep 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
24th Sep 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
24th Sep 2011
DocPMD
25th Sep 2011
Ellis Feibush Silver Member
25th Sep 2011

skibbyshot Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Thu 22-Sep-11 09:05 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Falls, US

You say that you tried checking the switches on the body & lens. Did that include the M & A witch on the body to the left side of teh lens? That #### gets moved by demons at times!

Assuming that a) the switches are in the correct positions; b) the battery is not at a low charge.... than I would conclude that it needs service. Especially since you have tried at lease one other lens to be sure that its not ust the lens that is on the camera at the time of the fault....

Bummer. Good luck with it...

KEN

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 22-Sep-11 09:23 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 1

Port Charlotte, US

You might also try a total reset to factory default. Turn the camera on, hold in the "Zoom-in" button and the "Exposure Compensation" button at the same time for more than 2 seconds. They're marked with green dots. Then reset your configurations.

If that doesn't work, take your battery out and leave it out for several days until the internal date/time battery dies also. Then turn the camera on for a few minutes (without the battery in it) to drain any capacitors. Turn the camera off and replace the fully charged battery back in and turn on the camera.

You'll have to reset date and time plus your configs, but hopefully that will work. If not, it's a trip to Nikon service I'm afraid.

Good luck

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

DocPMD Registered since 17th Jun 2011Fri 23-Sep-11 02:12 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I was thinking about a reset to defaults, but I need to figure out how to save my settings first.

I'm pretty sure that it's going to need service, but it's worth trying everything before I send it in.

Thanks,
Phil

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 23-Sep-11 06:03 PM
8472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

If the issue is with tow separate lenses, it sounds like a camera body issue.

Try making sure that the AF mode is either AF-A, AF-C or AF-S - not M

In the menu, make sure you have not set the shutter to Release Only. I use back button focus and intentionally set the release button to not re-focus.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Fri 23-Sep-11 06:29 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Did you set the camera to use AF-On by chance and now you are hitting the shutter release? Just a thought as I have done this myself and forgot about switching over only to half depress the shutter release and have no focusing and since my camera is always set to release priority I have gone merrily about shooting for a minute or two before realizing that the lens was not focusing and the light bulb going off.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

dewhite44 Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Fri 23-Sep-11 09:28 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 0

Jonesboro, US

Try removing and replacing your lens a couple of times, I had the same symptoms out of the box on a new (turned out gray market) D7000. Turned out the A/M switch had a short in it. It was repaired by my insurance company, Nikon was the ones who informed me it was Gray Market. Occasionally, the AF goes dead still and I reseat the lens and it's ok.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 24-Sep-11 06:54 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 24-Sep-11 06:55 PM by billD80

US

Nikon was the ones who
>informed me it was Gray Market.

As a general FYI: "Gray Market" cameras are exactly the same as USA Models... They are no more or less susceptible to issues. BUT if issues come up in the USA, then, for Gray Market merchandise, Nikon may refuse warranty service.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sat 24-Sep-11 02:46 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

You didn't assign the functionality to the AE/AF lock button did you? I did this, yet sometimes I forget that I did it and wonder why my autofocus isn't working!

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 24-Sep-11 11:13 PM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 25-Sep-11 02:44 AM by Vlad_IT

US

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem today. Checked two lenses - not autofocus in any mode AF-C - takes picture, not in focus. Did factory reset (two green dots method) - no autofocus. Got very upset. - reset custom settings fixed the problem. What a relief!

EDIT**********************

I found that in menu -> controls -> *f5 Assign AE-L/AF-L button to AF-On take away function autofocus control from shutter release button to AE-L/AF-L one.

DocPMD Registered since 17th Jun 2011Sun 25-Sep-11 03:04 AM
#10. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Tried all of the suggestions, no luck.

Sent it back to Nikon. Bummer.

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Sun 25-Sep-11 01:55 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Autofocus Dead"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 25-Sep-11 01:58 PM by Ellis Feibush

Summit, US

Hi Phil,

I recently had a similar problem while doing some photography on the Sonora Pass in California's Sierra Nevada mountain range. I was shooting with my 18 - 135 lens. I would have to press the camera's lens release button and rotate the lens before the camera would focus. Then I checked the black plastic mounting ring on the lens and found some type of dirt on it which seemed to prevent a solid contact with the camera's metal mounting ring. I thoroughly cleaned both the lens' plastic ring and when I cleaned the camera's metal ring with a microfiber cleaning cloth, I removed some type of black substance. I believe this might have been oxidation on the camera's metal mounting ring. I also cleaned the electrical contacts on the lens and in the camera.
Once both camera ring and lens mounting ring were cleaned and electrical contacts cleaned, problem gone, solved, as simple as that. Once I got back to my son's apartment in Sausalito, I recleaned both surfaces and the lens' and camera's electrical contacts with a Qtip and alcohol.
I'm not saying this is your problem, but sometimes I find I have to look at the simple, less obvious things to solve some of my camera problems. LOL and hope you solve your problem. Just my two cents...

efeibush

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #12165 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.