Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11986
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 maximum actuations ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Nikonitosi Registered since 03rd Sep 2011Fri 16-Sep-11 03:18 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 maximum actuations ..."
Sat 17-Sep-11 04:45 PM by Nikonitosi

GB

Hi
I seems to see that mainly our 'older' Nikonians expect it to be about 150,000 - which is not bad esspecially for a semi-newbie like me!

I asked Nikon and they said:

There is no maximum number of actuations for the the D7000. Depending on how the camera is looked after the shutter unit can last for years.

I by default like to keep my gadgets at their best - so I assume it would last very long indeed.

Having said that, there must be a 'expected' shutter life - although I personally agree with Nikon.

Look after your gadgets and they will look after you.
What are your thoughts 'expert' Nikonians?

By the way, Digital Darrell Book is great!

I only wish I had the camera now ;p]

ADDITION
It seems in this forum we need to revise and re-check our words or you are speedily misunderstood.

I obviously intended 'Average Manufacturer Expected' life = Maximum Expected - this is maths.

They must have it or it would not make sense to even invest and start producing so expensive cameras.

Happy Imaging!
M

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 maximum actuations ...
elec164 Silver Member
16th Sep 2011
billD80 Silver Member
16th Sep 2011
four eighty sparky Silver Member
16th Sep 2011
blw Moderator
16th Sep 2011
km6xz Moderator
17th Sep 2011
Nikonitosi
17th Sep 2011
Clint S Silver Member
18th Sep 2011

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 16-Sep-11 04:49 PM
1893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 maximum actuations ..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Hi
>Having said that, there must be a 'expected' shutter life -
>although I personally agree with Nikon.
>

There is a statistic know as MTBF (mean time between failure) and for the D7000 I believe that is 150,000 actuations.

Your shutter could fail before that, or it could last well beyond and there is no way of really predicting until it happens.

Pete

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 16-Sep-11 05:10 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 maximum actuations ..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

It isn't how long the shutter will last, but what will be captured during each actuation.

Even so, the D200 was rated at 150,000, and a friend of mine has used his to around 200,000.

In reality, for the vast majority of owners, 150,000 exposures is simply a huge number of captures. It's a good deal above 4,000 rolls of 36exp. film! 4,000 rolls!

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 16-Sep-11 07:41 PM
1390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 maximum actuations ..."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Although the D7k isn't included yet, there's a lot of data here:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 16-Sep-11 09:40 PM
26290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D7000 maximum actuations ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

There is no "maximum." There is, however, a targeted design life, which I guess is 150k on this body. In other words, the camera is designed so that the typical user will get at least 150k cycles before needing a major repair. And note that this is the shutter mechanism, which is the most likely thing to fail. If you wear out the shutter, you can replace it (about $400-$450) and continue on. Most of the other parts are either non-moving or are vastly less at risk, for example the switches an dials, the lens release, etc.

Some of the cameras have failed at 5k, while others make it over 1m. (I seriously doubt that there are any D7000's over 1M yet.)

At least to date, nobody except a sports pro has much of a chance to wear out one of these cameras before it's replaced by something a lot more interesting... I know some sports pros who shoot 100k per year, and a few cameras in high-traffic studios might shoot a lot too, but pretty much anyone else is going to be shooting only a few thousand frames per year, maybe 10k - and surely the next big thing will come around in less than 7 years...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 17-Sep-11 06:44 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 maximum actuations ..."
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Nikon publishes no expected life expectancy for the shutter, nor would the be wise to. If they expected it to last 150,000 and someone got to 149,999 someone would sue, at least in the US where such law suits are commonplace.
The only hint is a figure they state as "Tested" which is 150,000. That only means they tested one or more in lab conditions and got 150,000 or more actuation while still meeting spec. That is a marketing ploy because they know most people will assume that level is what can be expected yet allowing Nikon to not be held accountable if one fails at a lower number of frames. Warranty on cameras is for time of ownership, not usage. Any warranty claim is costly and wipes out any profit the company made selling it in the first place so they have to be pretty confident in specs before publishing them. It is also a numbers game, for every enthusiast who machine guns every day, there are thousands of casual users who would be hard pressed to find 500 shots a month to take. My partner in the business has a D70 he bought it it came out. His pristine camera has probably been out of its case less than 20 times. His usage rate is probably more common than my 75,000 shots on my D90 in a couple years. So Nikon or any manufacturer is weighing the odds for warranty claims versus sales increases due to higher and higher performance claims. They are betting people do not use them as often as the new owners think they will. If the company is right, they keep their profits, if wrong, they can be wiped out very quickly with warranty claims.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Nikonitosi Registered since 03rd Sep 2011Sat 17-Sep-11 08:06 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 maximum actuations ..."
In response to Reply # 5

GB

You are right.

I forgot the US Law-suit part of it!
Although they could mention it as average and not guaranteed and that excludes them from Warranties.
Having said that, commercially is better keep certain things grey - understandable, especially in this world.

I still believe, the user IS the main culprit.

I repair Electronics and Computers and most of the time I do not repair the hardware, but the 'software' mess the customers creates and sometimes I 'first' have to solve the mess created by their 'expert' friend or family member, before I fix the users' mess!
Note: the expert friend usually is somebody that simply knows a bit more than the user in question = expert - eeehm NO!

In fact, I believe the user is the main cause of Electronic 'induced' faults - the main enemy of 'Home' Electronics is the Heat.

You normally find the DO s and DON'T s of Electronics = common sense, but who follows the instructions?

Happy Imaging!
M

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Sun 18-Sep-11 04:23 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 maximum actuations ..."
In response to Reply # 6

Chula Vista, US

Pete's post above is the correct and legitimate way to document this kind of information, MTBF. It is a statistical term that allows variability.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #11986 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.